Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: Flyers' tough guy Schultz thinks players should provide own protection
Goldenscud
Posts 16048
Goldenscud
02-09-11 09:03 AM - Post#1283480    

Flyers' tough guy Schultz thinks players should provide their own 'protection'

POSTED: February 9, 2011 By ED BARKOWITZ

barkowe@phillynews.com

One of the problems with hockey today, Flyers' legendary tough guy Dave Schultz was saying, is that players no longer have the freedom to monitor each other.
"There were guys like [Wayne] Gretzky who used to say, 'We need protection,' and now the only protection star players have is the National Hockey League's judicial system: Colin Campbell," said Schultz, whose single-season record for penalty minutes has stood for 35 years. "[But] players can police themselves. There used to be a thing called the code. The code is kind of gone."

Schultz was a key member of the Flyers' Stanley Cup-winning teams in the 1970s. While he scored a combined 29 goals in the two championship seasons, Schultz was most valuable for his role as an enforcer. In 1974-75, Schultz racked up the record 472 penalty minutes and had 25 fights.

"There's still certain rules and [current fighters] follow them," he said. "Like if a guy's hurt, you don't fight him."

But if an opponent took a cheapshot at one of the Flyers' skilled players, he could expect a quick visit from the man still affectionately known as "The Hammer."

"Today, you can drive Danny Briere's head into the boards and get suspended and lose some money," Schultz said. "In my day, you'd have to turn around because there would be guys lined up and you'd have to fight. That prevented a lot of guys from doing a lot of B.S."

Schultz and other proponents of hockey fighting argue that the instigator rule instituted in 1992 actually has made life less safe for star players. The rule gives a penalty to a player for unilaterally starting a fight. As such, retribution for a hit on a star player could wind up costing the aggrieved team even more.

"That's a bad rule," he said. "The instigator rule changed the game. It changed players being able to protect their teammates."

Suspensions and fines also are laughable, Schultz argues. There is no greater deterrent to cheapshots than being forced to fight after delivering one.

"I was only suspended one time," Schultz said. "I head-butted [Bruins' nemesis Terry] O'Reilly because he was holding my hands."

Sounds like O'Reilly violated "the code" and Schultz made him pay. What a concept. *

Read more: http://www.philly.co...l#ixzz1DSVwv4xo

Drunk_24-7
legend
Posts 16848
Drunk_24-7
02-09-11 10:29 AM - Post#1283507    

The quote in bold is absolute gold.

"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

Goldenscud
Posts 16048
Goldenscud
02-09-11 11:18 AM - Post#1283531    

Yep, I knew that one would resonate on FC. It is absolutely true that a $1,000 fine or a game off won't do jack to prevent a guy from being a cheap fucker.

However, facing a fist from Orr, Boogaard, etc. I think certainly brings much more fear and second thoughts.

DPR4444
hall of famer
Posts 5199
DPR4444
02-09-11 12:05 PM - Post#1283551    

great stuff. when will those in power get a clue? the DiPietro-Johnson fight and the Bruins-Stars melee got the game more publicity than the All-Star 'gayme.'

thanks for posting!
"He shaved his head and shed his gloom...."

442nd
superstar
Posts 4821
442nd
02-09-11 12:19 PM - Post#1283555    

As I mentioned to fightguy42 about 2 hours ago. This is pretty hypocritical of him to go on record pimping fighting. When Schultz retired he was one of the biggest hard line lobbiest's against fighting in hockey. He headed up a movement to eliminate fighting from hockey. There's several old videos of Schultz being interviewed by various news outlets proclaiming his stance against fighting.

Just another opportunity for the water salesman to get some face-time.
I leave the site now, RIGHT NOW.
I will not take a contact to you, if someone of u send a Email to me= hunting my headskin as i will take a call on police and send a United States Cops

Drunk_24-7
legend
Posts 16848
Drunk_24-7
02-09-11 12:47 PM - Post#1283562    

There was a time when Schultz was anti fighting? hahaha. That's absurd. I've followed hockey fights my entire life but that I did not know. I can't believe I never heard about this but I guess in a way I'm glad I didn't. Thank goodness he changed his tune and got back on the right side of the fence. He's a pretty good speaker/character so I'd much rather see him campaining on behalf of the fights, as being a guy who was in large part responsible for all teams needing to carry a player or two to fill the enforcer role, he can speak to the importance
and effectiveness to intimidation and accountability through experience. It would make a lot more sense for him to stand up for fighting and his legacy than to make a total hypocrite of himself by lobbying against it. I wonder what the hell he was thinking when he strayed from the cause?
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

daveh8
superstar
Posts 4031
02-09-11 05:51 PM - Post#1283696    

dave schultz is like a flag, flying a hundred feet off the ground, up a huge flagpole.....whichever way the wind in blowing.......

Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.047 seconds.   Total Queries: 42   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 10:58 AM