Select "print" from your browser's "File" menu.

Back to Post
Print Topic

Username Post: SCOTUS Nomination
Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-10-18 08:43 AM - Post#1714476    

Kavanaugh is Trump’s nominee.

Extremely well qualified and gifted jurist.

Personally I would have liked to see Barrett, but I get that her confirmation would be much harder. At least right now.

The left has (again) lost their collective minds.

I like when that happens!
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-10-18 12:37 PM - Post#1714477    

Hmm...let’s see...the Pope is a Jesuit.

President Trump was Jesuit trained at Fordham.

He then nominates two Jesuit trained men to the U.S. Supreme Court?

Where, oh, where are the conspiracy theorists?
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

emmpee1
all star
Posts 1820
emmpee1
07-10-18 02:13 PM - Post#1714478    

They are probably overseas serving their country in the military and not dodging.

Pete
legend
Posts 10856
Pete
07-10-18 04:00 PM - Post#1714479    

Unreal how the extemporaneous (sarc) protests virtually appeared out of nowhere. We were kidding that if you looked at the other side of the "Say No to Kavanaugh" signs they would have said "Say No to Kethledge".

The fact that Bernie Sanders an irrelevant nothing of a politician (redundant much?) for well over 30 years is now a spokesman for this mad crew on the left is absurd. Also how they all gravitated immediately to Roe v. Wade and Women's Rights is such predictable pandering.

Judge Brett was humble, respectful, and human in his nomination acceptance speech. I don't like the ties to Harvard and Yale necessarily, but what do I know?
Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-10-18 04:29 PM - Post#1714480    

Every current SC member either went to Yale or Harvard.

That will likely change with the next nomination.

- K. Perry

PuckRogue
Posts 37324
PuckRogue
07-10-18 07:54 PM - Post#1714483    

Why, Kanny?

-PR

PuckRogue
Posts 37324
PuckRogue
07-10-18 07:54 PM - Post#1714484    

Kanny,

I haven’t read up on it: What’re the pros and cons of Kavanaugh, from a median perspective?

-PR

Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-11-18 07:04 AM - Post#1714485    

Amy Barrett is a Notre Dame grad.

If Ginsburg leaves - voluntarily or not - I would bet she is the next nominee.

- K. Perry

Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-11-18 07:18 AM - Post#1714486    

Kavanaugh is young - 53

Great legal background, Yale undergrad and Yale law.

Currently serving on the D.C. circuit, considered by many to be the second most influential court in the land. As a side note, the Chief judge there is Merrick Garland.

Was Kennedy’s law clerk.

He’s conservative, so he does have a bias, but that’s known to change once the weight of the position is felt.

He is an originalist, so he’s not prone to judicial activism.

He is a 1A and 2A proponent, as should any judge be.

He claims that Roe v. Wade is settled law (I disagree with him here).

At the end of the day, he probably isn’t going to occupy Kennedy’s seat in the way Kennedy did. He probably won’t be the deciding vote like Kennedy was. That mantle will likely shift to Roberts.

All in all a very adult choice by Trump.

He will be confirmed.

- K. Perry

Pete
legend
Posts 10856
Pete
07-11-18 09:40 AM - Post#1714487    

• Kanrok Said:

Yes. I realize those institutions have historically accepted and bred the best and brightest, but it also leaves a perception of elitism and a closed-door society of legal thought.
Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-11-18 11:17 AM - Post#1714489    

• Pete Said:
  • Kanrok Said:

Yes. I realize those institutions have historically accepted and bred the best and brightest, but it also leaves a perception of elitism and a closed-door society of legal thought.

I am so far outside the elite class it’s hard to see them from here!

- K. Perry

PuckRogue
Posts 37324
PuckRogue
07-11-18 01:44 PM - Post#1714490    

• Kanrok Said:
Kavanaugh is young - 53

Currently serving on the D.C. circuit, considered by many to be the second most influential court in the land. As a side note, the Chief judge there is Merrick Garland.

Was Kennedy’s law clerk.

He’s conservative, so he does have a bias, but that’s known to change once the weight of the position is felt.

At the end of the day, he probably isn’t going to occupy Kennedy’s seat in the way Kennedy did. He probably won’t be the deciding vote like Kennedy was. That mantle will likely shift to Roberts.

He will be confirmed.

Thank you!

-PR

NYRfan
legend
Posts 35690
07-11-18 04:50 PM - Post#1714491    

Was probably pretty funny, when at the old DC Circuit lunch room, Kavanaugh was announced.

Garland probably said "Awwwwww fuck you ya cunt !"

When Barrett replaces Darth Vader Ruth Buzzy Ginzobird ..... that's when we'll see the real implosion and riots, and whatever civil war they can muster.

Canucko29
legend
Posts 14012
Canucko29
07-11-18 08:34 PM - Post#1714494    

I might get wrath from Kanrok, but oh well. I sure hope they don't overturn Roe versus Wade. I don't condone abortions at all, but I do understand social circumstances and I think this is one issue where I hope there is a middle ground. Eliminate the later term abortions, eliminate funding for abortions, but keep some measure of choice. Not a fan of prohibition. But I'm definitely very happy to see that the Second Amendment will be safe for some time and that business in the USA will continue under a freer market for 30-40 years.

Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-11-18 10:20 PM - Post#1714495    

No wrath from me.

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, it will send the issue back to individual states to decide, just like it was pre-Roe.

What is galling is Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

That case basically stands for the proposition that Roe cannot be overturned because of stare decisis.

Roe, decided under the rubric of substantive due process, was a horrible legal precedent. Casey was a clusterfuck.

To put meat on the bones here, understand that one of the most reviled SCOTUS cases of all time - the Dred Scott decision, was based, in part in the bogus “substantive due process” concept.

- K. Perry

Pete
legend
Posts 10856
Pete
07-12-18 08:59 AM - Post#1714499    

Notable is that Planned Parenthood and some of its affiliates were referred to the FBI for investigation by Grassley last December. Not sure where that investigation stands, but you can bet that if Roe v. Wade is challenged it will be based on a real live situation brought to light with the general public.
NYRfan
legend
Posts 35690
07-12-18 10:17 AM - Post#1714501    

Kanrok - In layman's terms, what is "substantive due process" ? It sounds like a description of the SC inventing an internal procedure to create social justice ... rather than just ruling on the (USA) constitutionality of other (USA) people's laws or actions.

This is what guys like Gorsuch and Kavanaugh appear to be against. And what people like Sotomayor, Ginsburg, Kagan, appear to be whole-hog FOR.

Hell, the last 3 leftists are on record as stating that they don't like to use the constitution as a measure, preferring World Court / UN law instead. Which are just chock-full of social justice.

NYRfan
legend
Posts 35690
07-12-18 10:32 AM - Post#1714503    

• Canucko29 Said:
I might get wrath from Kanrok, but oh well. I sure hope they don't overturn Roe versus Wade. I don't condone abortions at all, but I do understand social circumstances and I think this is one issue where I hope there is a middle ground. Eliminate the later term abortions, eliminate funding for abortions, but keep some measure of choice. Not a fan of prohibition. But I'm definitely very happy to see that the Second Amendment will be safe for some time and that business in the USA will continue under a freer market for 30-40 years.

There are a lot of odd twists and turns in the abortion argument.

My body !! Well who the hell speaks for the unborn child's body ? Can't be only the person who wants them dead.

How can it be just a lump of useless flesh one minute, but a person a minute later ?

How can it be NOTHING when the mother kills, but MURDER if someone else does it ?

Lots of ridiculous contradictions and hypocrisy, just to enable a wholly selfish outlook on things. Which seems to be the trend these days. Why is "age adjusted love" not OK if the "younger person says it's OK" ?

You have to have lines drawn, for better or worse, where you just don't bullshit your way through everything, with the goal of "no rules should apply to me".

With abortion, I believe the original, archaic, states' laws is the best solution. Let a state be a theocracy and outlaw abortion and gay marriage. As long as they can't keep you from moving to CA where they pay for your abortions and sex changes. If such a state is so badly outside of the citizenry's beliefs, everybody will leave and they'll go tits up.

I think the liberal mind can't be happy without making everybody, every state, every county and city and town ...... do whatever the liberals dictate for everyone. Can't be happy knowing that they can live in CA, NY, IL, HI, MA, etc..... where all their leftist dreams come true. Just can't stop having palpitations because somebody somewhere else isn't being made to do what they ordered them to do.

States' rights / laws is anathema to liberals. Somebody 2000 miles away just CAN'T be allowed to have a different belief or lifestyle.

Kanrok
legend
Posts 22277
Kanrok
07-13-18 07:34 AM - Post#1714515    

• NYRfan Said:
Kanrok - In layman's terms, what is "substantive due process" ? It sounds like a description of the SC inventing an internal procedure to create social justice ... rather than just ruling on the (USA) constitutionality of other (USA) people's laws or actions.

I don’t think I can explain it much better than that in lay terms.

There is a lot of legal scholarship that I can cite, but at the end of the day, that’s as good a description as I could muster.

- K. Perry

NYRfan
legend
Posts 35690
07-13-18 11:40 AM - Post#1714516    

• Kanrok Said:
  • NYRfan Said:

I don’t think I can explain it much better than that in lay terms.

There is a lot of legal scholarship that I can cite, but at the end of the day, that’s as good a description as I could muster.

Ahhh, so that's why we have Ginsburg, Sotomayor, and Kagan on the court. And the presumptive Garland + 2 or 3 Hillary nominations.

To create a court that relies almost solely on "substantive due process" and usurps a lot of congress' legislative powers, and the executive's enforcement powers.

This would have happened quite neatly, if not for Trump. You may thank the guy profusely, right now.

DaveRichterfan
all star
Posts 2210
DaveRichterfan
07-13-18 11:01 PM - Post#1714526    

• Kanrok Said:
Kavanaugh is young - 53

Was Kennedy’s law clerk.

He will be confirmed.

Nice post Kanrok. Appreciate the effort here.
Where's the money Lebowski?

Print Topic

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.094 seconds.   Total Queries: 98   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 11:48 PM