hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Trump vs. the the Hard Left/Hard Right
Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 13813
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-18 10:44 AM - Post#1708746    

I'm guessing this will be another strange bedfellows thread, but it certainly appears that there are two segments who don't want immigration reform. For one, those who don't want Trump to have any legislative accomplishments, probably those suffering the most from Trump Derangement Syndrome, and who are willing to see the Democrats shut down government if it means not conceding anything to him. And of course a second segment who don't want to see any amnesty whatsoever on the hard right. You can include Tucker Carlson, Ann Couture and much of the populist right base that really stumped for him in the general election.

My take is simple. I completely disagreed with Tucker Carlson yesterday when he said that Americans don't have any blame when it comes to immigration when it was the actions of government. Actually, if you consider Americans part of a nation state, then yes citizens are to be blamed for the actions of their representatives. For years, the United States has done a piss-poor job of enforcing border laws and border security. That's not to say that Americans are 100% to blame, but they share in the blame. And with that, you share in the responsibility of coming to a compromise on a difficult issue.

I wouldn't see an issue with comprehensive immigration reform provided that border security issues are addressed and naturalization occurs gradually and with some serious caveats.

Now, shifting focus on the Democrats, I think they need to also be held accountable. This is probably their best chance ever at getting bipartisan agreement on a pathway to citizenship as the GOP has clearly laid out what they consider a reasonable compromise. I know that they would like nothing more than to have illegals voting in their districts within 2 years with full state benefits, but that kind of proposal will only further divide the country which can ill afford any more divide.

I personally think under the conditions that Trump laid out, the proposal is reasonable, fair and does not lend a predictable political advantage to either side and and entails risk to both sides. They say you know you have a good deal when both parties are unhappy with the terms, and I would suggest that this proposal meets that test.

What are everybody else's thoughts?

Edited by Canucko29 on 01-10-18 10:55 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.
NOTE: You are viewing an individual Post. View the Entire Topic
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.047 seconds.   Total Queries: 41   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 05:41 AM