hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Best 1st Round of a Playoffs Since...        (Topic#535897)
Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10503
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-16-12 09:56 PM - Post#1429805    

I can't actually remember a better 1st round of the playoffs in my life. The last time I seen any of the craziness we've seen was when Odjick went wild on the Blues. Even back then, enforcers did not dress. And if they did dress, they didn't usually fight.

Can anybody actually remember the last time the playoffs was this rowdy? Was 90-91 this nasty? If I recall correctly, even then it wasn't this bad. I believe the Oilers-Flames series was pretty amped up.

This is why I really liked seeing the super goon gone from the game. Players are now taking runs at each other's star players and players are now getting pissed and taking things to new extremes.

I'm not saying we're in the 80s again, but this hockey has been awesome to watch. And I'm saying that as a fan of a team on the brink of elimination!
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7329
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-16-12 10:10 PM - Post#1429818    

In response to Canucko29

Absolutely Canucko29. It has been awesome and it's not just the on ice game, it's after game, the yapping between the games, and this board has gone bonkers. I thought we were going to crash the FC board the other day with all the posters and comments. Except for 2 series, every series has had a ton of physical plays, cheap shots, fights, scrums, and plenty of villains and heroes. It's that last part that I like the most. The series that are defensive in nature are boring as hell to watch, but when you have a guy like Boyle vilified, it only makes for even higher drama.

You only had to look at all the suspensions and fines (and we aren't even out of the first round!). Granted with 2012 hockey you are going to get that from the suits and Shanny, but still!

I miss the HW enforcer in the playoffs having a roll, but I am not complaining when you have guys like Neal (Ottowa) getting regular shifts and all the mayhem. The cheap guys will be cheap and the league, in a way, has paved the way for the cheap shot artist to have a major role in the playoffs. Way to go NHL!
"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-17-12 08:44 AM - Post#1429900    

In response to mtnbiker

I can remember several first rounds being ultra chippy with fights and bad blood. Wings/Blues in the last 80s, and early 90s are the two that come quickly to mind. Not sure if they were first round or not though. Throw in the TOR rivalry as well from that time period. But that's going back a ways.

As an outsider, i've really enjoyed the NYR-OTT, and PHI-PIT series. I did see the end of the StL-SJ game, all have brought a smile to my face, and makes me wish even more my team had a pair.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

Soul Craft 24
regular
Total Posts: 217
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 11:43 AM - Post#1429984    

In response to Kramer

The TOR vs NYI 1st round from 2002 was awesome. Lots of drama, fights, penalty shot and it went 7 games. Laviolette had Cairns, Cummins, Asham and Webb in the lineup! I don't recall other series though that year being particularly brutal. This year is great so far!
Mike Milbury on Palffy's agent, "He is a moron who is depriving some small village of an idiot."

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 12:08 PM - Post#1430005    

In response to Kramer

• Kramer Said:
I can remember several first rounds being ultra chippy with fights and bad blood. Wings/Blues in the last 80s, and early 90s are the two that come quickly to mind. Not sure if they were first round or not though. Throw in the TOR rivalry as well from that time period. But that's going back a ways.

As an outsider, i've really enjoyed the NYR-OTT, and PHI-PIT series. I did see the end of the StL-SJ game, all have brought a smile to my face, and makes me wish even more my team had a pair.

Any of the Norris Division series in the early 90's were gold, from what I can remember. That's about the last "crazy" first round series' that I remember.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Bridgman
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 9368
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 12:24 PM - Post#1430016    

In response to PuckRogue

The last great series that was "fun" was like what soul craft said, the 02 Tor/NYI. I watched that.

Other than that, the overall 90-91 season was good for playoffs-Brown/Kyte, etc. I remember Kimble/Churla and if I'm correct, Kimble-McKay was first round (or late in the season)-2 of the best fights all time. I'm sure that SOB poster from Detroit who's Wings kicked our asses in the 97 cup can correct me on that...

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-17-12 12:41 PM - Post#1430028    

In response to Bridgman

Just glad to see you back Nick! Feel free to flame away, lol.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12346
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 02:38 PM - Post#1430096    

In response to Kramer

Nice to see Nicky's concussion free now:)

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15137
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 02:51 PM - Post#1430101    

In response to cashman rulz

Was the Tor/NYI series the same with the Peca/Tucker and Roberts/Jonsson incidents?
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

Soul Craft 24
regular
Total Posts: 217
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 03:32 PM - Post#1430113    

In response to Tim-

Yep those incidents has us Isles fans hating the Leafs for years to come.
Mike Milbury on Palffy's agent, "He is a moron who is depriving some small village of an idiot."

Bridgman
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 9368
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 03:38 PM - Post#1430120    

In response to cashman rulz

• cashman rulz Said:
Nice to see Nicky's concussion free now:)

Classic! Had me with a big ol' smile doing some LOL!

Brawls16
legend
Total Posts: 11872
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 04:03 PM - Post#1430134    

In response to Bridgman

Leafs vs Islanders
Domi, Corson, Roberts, Cairns, Webb, Cummins
#1 - Brian McGrattan (Champ)
#2 - Jay Rosehill
#3 - Luke Gazdic

Fighter of the Year - McGrattan
Rookie of the Year - Gazdic
Fight of the Year - Lucic vs Rechlicz

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
63 Online Now
3 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 59 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Stage 1 - Round 5 - Who makes the Top 50?" with 37 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.215 seconds.   Total Queries: 225   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 04:28 PM