hockey-fights.com
Username Post: NHL Ratings UP        (Topic#535898)
Rye
veteran
Total Posts: 347
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-16-12 11:04 PM - Post#1429833    

Ratings are up 50% from last year. I don't think it's a stretch to say increased violence, hatred, fights are helping to lead to better ratings. So what does the NHL do? You just know they want to put the kabosh on some of the stuff happening, but at the same time, when ratings are up so much...do you just put your hands in your pockets and let it go? Interesting predicament. My opinion is the league is so stupid they'll tell everyone to calm down and the ratings will follow.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/violence+and+ratings+on+the+ris e+as+nhl+playoffs+...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/12/best-nhl-playoff-ope ning-night-...

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 2805
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 12:01 AM - Post#1429842    

In response to Rye

A very good observation, your first line. Unfortunately your last line is telling.

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16760
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 05:27 PM - Post#1430185    

In response to HenryHanson

Don't worry, they're suspending guys for hitting the goalies, instigating fights and fineing them for verbal assult. Passion and intensity should be gone by round two and the officials should be deciding things again by round 3. Hopefully the Bruins can break through it once again. Their series with Vancouver last year was awesome hockey but Bruins vs. Lighntning before that boardered on unwatchable as did Canucks vs. Nashville. Most of the teams in this years playoffs are fairly tough by today's standards but if the least bit of contact means suspension then it won't last long. I haven't been able to get into it this year yet dispite the word that games have been pretty good. It looks like I missed some good stuff in catching up on the highlights and that but the officiating and suspensions and stuff is enough to make me sick and I think it makes it difficult to take the league seriously. You finally get the players to play with passion and intensity and then you suspend them for it so the biggest most physically impacting players can't even play the next fucking game let alone be held accountable. Stupid.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

Suicyco
superstar
Total Posts: 3298
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 07:06 PM - Post#1430232    

In response to Drunk_24-7

I was watching Around the Horn & PTI the other day. They could not STFU about how people hate fighting and violence is scaring fans away.

I swear Mike Wilbon is a racist and is only mad because they can't fight in the NBA.
99% of life is what you make of it, so if your life sucks... you suck.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10583
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-12 11:59 PM - Post#1430441    

In response to Suicyco

Was watching Steve Kouleas and Steve Simmonds on That's Hockey. Kouleas ends with, "I sure hope we can return back to the playoff hockey of the 80s when it was only about scoring goals." (paraphrasing).

Never laughed so hard watching that stupid show, and that includes the long stick comment by baldy to Darren Deutyschyn.
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7345
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-18-12 12:01 AM - Post#1430445    

In response to Suicyco

I get the violence is up argument and agree that may help some, but this year's matchup are awesome. Some real good rivalry games (with the exception of 1 or 2 series) and some of this started during the regular season. Even before the playoffs started, some of these series were must watch series. I wonder if the HBO series helped at all. Maybe, but did ratings on the first game rise for the second games? The second article seemed to show that the opening night had much bigger viewership that opening night on last year's playoffs.
"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-18-12 10:53 AM - Post#1430600    

In response to mtnbiker

No one can discount that the violence level is a big part of this.

Unfortunately, most of the violence has been the shitty kind and not straight up fights or brawls. That certainly doesn't benefit us...yet.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-18-12 10:54 AM - Post#1430601    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
Was watching Steve Kouleas and Steve Simmonds on That's Hockey. Kouleas ends with, "I sure hope we can return back to the playoff hockey of the 80s when it was only about scoring goals." (paraphrasing).

Never laughed so hard watching that stupid show, and that includes the long stick comment by baldy to Darren Deutyschyn.

Are these guys 19?

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15151
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-18-12 10:55 AM - Post#1430602    

In response to Suicyco

• Suicyco Said:
I was watching Around the Horn & PTI the other day. They could not STFU about how people hate fighting and violence is scaring fans away.

I swear Mike Wilbon is a racist and is only mad because they can't fight in the NBA.

I don't remember them being anti-fighting a few years ago.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

Suicyco
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-18-12 02:22 PM - Post#1430741    

In response to Tim-

EDIT: double post

Edited by Suicyco on 04-18-12 02:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Suicyco
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-18-12 02:28 PM - Post#1430749    

In response to Tim-

As long as I can remember, Mike Wilbon has been against fighting in hockey. He's a walking contradiction with that fake south side Chicago tough-guy persona he tries to put on. He's constantly praising old school aggressive tactics in black sports. It's clear that he hates seeing a white sport not in line with the other pussified sports.

It's funny how all these guys who admittedly don't even follow the game can't say enough about how fighting is bad for the sport. It's a fucking joke.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
64 Online Now
2 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 61 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" with 38 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.22 seconds.   Total Queries: 209   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 10:28 PM