hockey-fights.com
Username Post: 2017 Jack Adams Award        (Topic#549020)
Twist 'n Belak
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6231
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 02:36 PM - Post#1698144    

Put your hate for the guy and the team aside.

Does Mike Babcock win the Jack Adams Award this year?

I ask because it was brought up on the other site. A Philly fan flat out said Babcock shouldn't win because he inherited a team on the rise and it was the GM who made the Leafs into a good team. This was my reply:

You're blind if you can't see what Babcock has done. Yea they tanked, but they truly were a BAD team. And yea they squeaked into the playoffs but they went from 30th overall to almost 100 points. You don't watch the Leafs, so you haven't seen what he's done to improve the game of guys like Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, Bozak, Komarov, even JvR who had a career year points-wise. This is not the GM improving the team, as all Lou did was draft Matthews and bring in Martin, Polak, and Boyle. Those aforementioned players have been Leafs for awhile now. They're not new. Babcock put trust in a relative no-namer Zach Hyman to run shotgun on Matthews' line. The powerplay finished in the top 10. The penalty kill finished in the top 10. This team was not supposed to be even close to the playoffs for another couple years. If you cannot see that, I'm sorry but it's because you hate the Leafs/Babcock and can't put aside your bias.

The only coach I can see winning besides Babcock is Torts.

Look at last year's winner. Barry Trotz won while doing what you say Babcock is doing, although Trotz had it even easier. He inherited a team that was already good.
formerly Belak_2 aka Bleka...

DOWN GOES BRASHEAR!

Beagle
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7603
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 02:52 PM - Post#1698146    

In response to Twist 'n Belak

I'm with you on this one. Babcock has got the Leafs looking like the Red Wings of old (but with Matt Martin). He got a couple of vital offensive pieces he needed in Matthews and Marner and is making everything fit. I see a potential dynasty here.

Torts has done a great job with the Jackets (and I know it's for the regular season) but if they fall out early in the playoffs, it looks like a job half done, a fluke.

Also worthy of consideration....Guy Boucher, who made (or is making) a silk purse out of a sows ear in Ottawa.

foolish
all star
Total Posts: 2431
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 03:35 PM - Post#1698156    

In response to Beagle

As much as I hate everything related to the Sens... you have a point.

As for Babcock - anyone who watched the development of the kids and the special teams over the last couple years has to give credit. The effort he gets out of that team is incredible.

Twist 'n Belak
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6231
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 04:02 PM - Post#1698163    

In response to foolish

I forgot anything Todd McClellan too. Sometimes I forget how improved Edmonton is this year.

I think it comes down to Babcock, Torts, and McClellan. But who knows, it could be all Canadian teams: Babcock, McClellan, Boucher, or that Flames coach. I forget his name because he's never mentioned.
formerly Belak_2 aka Bleka...

DOWN GOES BRASHEAR!

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 36283
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 04:46 PM - Post#1698172    

In response to Twist 'n Belak

Gulutzan?

It's Babcock in a rout.

-PR

Beagle
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 05:13 PM - Post#1698175    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
As much as I hate everything related to the Sens... you have a point.

I hate everything Sens-related as well, and I may have given too much credit to the coaching. I think what really saved their bacon was Condon's (unexpected) hot goaltending while Anderson was on leave of absence. Without that, they're not even close to the playoffs.

foolish
all star
Total Posts: 2431
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 05:50 PM - Post#1698178    

In response to Beagle

I dunno, players kept going down... and important players.... they kept coming.

Beagle
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-19-17 09:26 PM - Post#1698205    

In response to foolish

Plus lots of OT/SO wins. This is one of the reasons I hate the OT/SO NHL. Makes it so hard to determine who actually 'deserved' to win and which team is actually the better one when the playoffs begin. Scooping up 6-10 extra points in the close Atlantic div makes a big difference.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
72 Online Now
2 viewable users and 2 hidden plus 68 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.156 seconds.   Total Queries: 160   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 11:21 AM