hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Has anyone ever contacted a TV Station or team about acquiring a game?        (Topic#535603)
Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18737
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-27-12 08:58 PM - Post#1420192    

If so, what was the result? How much did it cost, if anything, and is there any worries? Also what is the best and easiest way to go through with this?

Thanks

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-27-12 09:51 PM - Post#1420201    

In response to Matt Dillon

I did try to get ahold of Dave Tunell once to see if I could find tape of old Roadrunners games.

It didn't work.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

RAYMAYDOMI
regular
Total Posts: 106
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-27-12 10:46 PM - Post#1420218    

In response to PuckRogue

I have posted this before but I got lucky here in Buffalo with our local NBC was able to borrow the old 3 quarter in tapes of rare Sabres footage from 78-79 season through 83-84- minus 79-80 and 80-81 seasons. Also got 90-91 through 95-96 on betacam SP. Made copies and returned them. The result was some awesome quailty fight footage, noteably full length Playfair vs Nystrom and Ray vs Vial, a marathon 90 second slugfest from a non televised game. Anyone who has these can thank me for that score. Very lucky that I had some old videos that the sport director needed of himself for reason to trade tapes.

TGR32
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5926
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-27-12 10:52 PM - Post#1420220    

In response to RAYMAYDOMI

Thank you. That was very nice work.

April 30, 2014 – May 6, 2014 - Never Forget his Martyrdom

442nd
superstar
Total Posts: 4821
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 07:01 AM - Post#1420242    

In response to TGR32

Yes.

If you know somebody within said workplace, (news or team) who is willing to have the tape duplicated for you. They will. Keep in mind, it's all beta today. Years ago, it was a mix of beta and film.

I personally haven't heard or know of any news agency who sells it. If they're doing that. They're doing it unbenounced to the business. As it's illegal.

There are lots of team camera guys who will copy off and sell or give it away. You have to find them. And when you do, that's normally the guys who tell you you can't trade or sell what they gave you. Which makes it pointless to even bother. Unless of course you get a hard on knowing you have stuff nobody else does.

Lastly, news outlets, museums, colleges, and universities get rid of this stuff routinely. Again, if you know somebody who knows about it. Tell them to grab it. At which point, you can do with the material whatever the hell you feel like doing with it. So long as it's not selling it. Yet again, though. There are cockheads who will be inclined to do nothing with it but tell people they've seen whatever footage it is they have, but they won't trade it.
I leave the site now, RIGHT NOW.
I will not take a contact to you, if someone of u send a Email to me= hunting my headskin as i will take a call on police and send a United States Cops

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-28-12 07:03 AM - Post#1420243    

In response to TGR32

Not major league or anything, but I've contacted Cogeco TV, who does the the Sarnia Sting games, and Rogers Television in Owen Sound, for the Attack. Both are television stations who air OHL games. They are a bit smaller (moreso Cogeco) but both were very accomdating. I think they were fairly pricey in terms of what you're getting. I don't remember the cost exactly, but it was between 25-35 dollars. Cogeco sent a VHS tape, Rogers a DVD. I think I tried Cogeco again, and they said they don't do it any more. I'm sure Rogers would be very willing to make copies.

I've also contacted BCTV, who do the Toledo Storm/Walleye games - much more expensive to purchase, but were very accomodating as well.

I just hit the "contact us" link and then email telling them what I want. If whomever answers can't help, they will forward your message on to the right person to make copies.

Also purchased many tapes from Heck Video, a video production service who records, and sells Johnstown Chiefs game tapes.

I know Albert's has also contacted a few places (Seattle, Portland, and others)

Never contacted a team directly though.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

442nd
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 07:19 AM - Post#1420246    

In response to Kramer

Ok, you're talking about teams selling their own footage.

I was speaking from a bootleg perspective, and outlets throwing out footage.

Regarding your past purchases. These purchases were game tapes correct? Not team fight tapes like Rockford used to make?
I will not take a contact to you, if someone of u send a Email to me= hunting my headskin as i will take a call on police and send a United States Cops

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-28-12 07:21 AM - Post#1420247    

In response to 442nd

I'm not sure if you mean me or not, but yes, these were game broadcasts supplied by the tv station that aired them. Not a fight compilation.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

442nd
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 07:32 AM - Post#1420253    

In response to Kramer

Ya, $25 a game is fuckin crazy. If the team sold a fight comp, I'd definitely buy that. No way I'd ever pay game by game. Especially that much for just one fight.

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-28-12 07:35 AM - Post#1420256    

In response to 442nd

Funny, i've broken stuff down cost/fight as well, and you're right it's a bit crazy, but then again by doing this, i've provided stuff that wouldn't have surfaced, and did it on my own buck.

Now, if you really want to break something down, break down how much/fight it costs me to tape the Traverse City Tournament every year. Hotel Room, 3 meals a day, nightlife, gasoline, camcorder tapes, etc. etc. / 16-20 fights (on average). Now those are really expensive fights!

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 08:19 AM - Post#1420266    

In response to Kramer

But fun!

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18737
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 08:43 AM - Post#1420275    

In response to PuckRogue

Reason I ask is that there are two games I would like to get, but I can't find them anywhere.

The first is the game in 1991 between Winnipeg and La where MsCorley suckers Evans and the 1996 games between the Pens and Islanders where Mario and Pilon have a stick fight.

Boivin40
captain
Total Posts: 891
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 08:56 AM - Post#1420285    

The Pens/Isles game from 96 was televised on Espn2. Not sure about the local feeds.

TGR32
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 09:49 AM - Post#1420303    

• Matt Dillon Said:
Reason I ask is that there are two games I would like to get, but I can't find them anywhere.

The first is the game in 1991 between Winnipeg and La where MsCorley suckers Evans and the 1996 games between the Pens and Islanders where Mario and Pilon have a stick fight.

I know a guy who was taping the LA games back then. He is big into collecting games too. The McSorley - Evans sucker shot is on fight videos.

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-28-12 11:01 AM - Post#1420340    

In response to TGR32

I think it would be much more difficult to try and obtain major league games from a tv station, especially a national one like ESPN, or the like. I would think it would be just as difficult through the regional affiiliates too. Probably way too concerned with copyright laws.

Yes PR, I wouldn't change it for it anything, and it's been fun providing all these fights we may never have seen.

442nd
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 11:12 AM - Post#1420342    

In response to Kramer

Yes, very true. And thank you very much for doing that.

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-12 11:46 AM - Post#1420352    

In response to 442nd

Totally. Thanks Kramer!

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

knicksfan89
prospect
Total Posts: 10
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-01-12 08:36 AM - Post#1421964    

In response to TGR32

could you please email me his name so that I can get in touch with him?

TGR32
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-01-12 10:55 AM - Post#1421994    

In response to knicksfan89

Pm sent

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
39 Online Now
9 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 30 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "The Vatican still doesn't get it..." with 36 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.292 seconds.   Total Queries: 329   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 10:07 AM