hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 64 1234>» Last
Username Post: Boxing thread        (Topic#516223)
Suicyco
superstar
Total Posts: 3298
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-09 05:32 PM - Post#1014742    

It's a new year, time for a new thread...

I'll start it off with some news straight from the horses mouth. A week ago I bumped into Chris Arreola and he told me his people are working out a fight with Wlad Klitschko for May. It should be a good test for both fighters.

Some notable upcoming fights:
Margarito v. Mosley 1/24
Vic Darchinyan v. Jorge Arce 2/7
Angulo v. Mayorga 2/14
Cotto v. Michael Jennings 2/21
Pavlik v. Rubio 2/21
Adamek v. Banks 2/27
Juan Manuel Marquez v. Juan Diaz 2/28
Dawson v. Tarver 3/14
Roy Jones Jr. v. Omar Sheika 3/21
Hatton v. Pacman 5/2

http://fightnights.com/upcoming-boxing-sched ule.php
99% of life is what you make of it, so if your life sucks... you suck.

KyleFreadrich43
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6983
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-20-09 07:20 PM - Post#1014810    

In response to Suicyco

• Suicyco Said:
It's a new year, time for a new thread...

I'll start it off with some news straight from the horses mouth. A week ago I bumped into Chris Arreola and he told me his people are working out a fight with Wlad Klitschko for May. It should be a good test for both fighters.

I'm still leaning toward David Haye, but either fight will be good.
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

Harrison
all star
Total Posts: 1123
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-09 07:30 PM - Post#1014818    

In response to KyleFreadrich43

Did anyone catch the Collazo-Berto bout. Very good fight. Berto got rocked early on but came on strong. Collazo is a tough fight. I had the bout 114-113 Berto but it could have gone either way.

Dupre2003
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5183
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-09 07:38 PM - Post#1014821    

In response to Harrison

HBO (Max ?? What's his name)had the fight going to Collazo - I only caught the 8th round forward, so can't speak, surprising since HBO is usually fairly bang-on, maybe mainly Letterman.

Gary G
all star
Total Posts: 1473
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-21-09 05:04 AM - Post#1014977    

In response to Dupre2003

Thanks Suicyco.
Margarito is going to pound Mosley. Is Roy Jones JR broke like Holyfield or is he just a glutton for the spotlight? Wish he would go away.
This space for sale

Bomber24
captain
Total Posts: 756
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-09 06:41 AM - Post#1014986    

In response to Suicyco

Boxing what the hell is boxing? Wasn't this the sport replaced several years back once MMA became popular?
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither, and lose both" ~Benjamin Franklin~

Best Fantasy Hockey League on the net!

Flyers2001
captain
Total Posts: 645
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-09 10:01 AM - Post#1015048    

In response to Bomber24

• Bomber24 Said:
Boxing what the hell is boxing? Wasn't this the sport replaced several years back once MMA became popular?

Not if your looking at overall PPV numbers. Try moving to the MMA thread.

BERTO - COllazo was an awesome fight. Ebb and flow. I am fine with the dec. but it clearly could have gone either way. I did not like the ref deducting a point so early. Kinda not worth it at that point.

My Boxing Blog

Toddyrockboxing

John_P
superstar
Total Posts: 3647
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-09 10:12 AM - Post#1015055    

In response to Flyers2001

That Hatton-Pacman fight isn't a done deal yet with Mayweather sticking his nose into negotiations vying for a Super fight with Pacman.

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2009/01/retired_maywe ather_affect...
"And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has, in showing that religion and gov't will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together." James Madison

Edited by John_P on 01-21-09 10:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10586
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-09 01:40 PM - Post#1015174    

In response to John_P

• John_P Said:
That Hatton-Pacman fight isn't a done deal yet with Mayweather sticking his nose into negotiations vying for a Super fight with Pacman.

http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2009/01/retired_maywe ather_affect...

That is very good news. I don't believe a Hatton fight is really all that necessary, as Hatton has lost to Mayweather and if Pacquiao lost to Hatton, it would seriously fuck up what is definitely best for the sport - a p4p, great vs. great match-up.
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 29663
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-09 02:16 PM - Post#1015190    

In response to Bomber24

• Bomber24 Said:

Follow trends much?

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10586
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-09 04:45 PM - Post#1015254    

In response to Bomber24

• Bomber24 Said:

MMA has become more popular in the US, Japan and a few odd select countries (maybe). Even in Brazil where MMA was given most of its life and they produce some of the best fighters in the world today (e.g. Anderson Silva), boxing is still most popular there. 50 million Brazillians watched Acelino Freitas' wedding and he was no Eder Jofre. If they had an Eder Jofre going today, they wouldn't even know what MMA is.

Also, MMA has yet to endure the same challenges that boxing has. Just wait until fighters are able to make it out on their own, are under contract from independent promotions like Top Rank and there is no more UFC totalitarianism from the likes of Dana White to keep fights exciting and to make sure decisions are just. Then, we'll see if people still keep flocking.

Not to mention, boxing's heavyweight division is at its worst right now and some of the other divisions are also not doing too well in terms of talent. Meanwhile, MMA is at its best. And that could always end if there coverboys aren't able to sustain their mythological status, which is always likely in MMA due to its volatility.

I am a fan of both sports, but I don't believe boxing is dead because of MMA. And I think it's kind of stupid for MMA fans to resent boxing. Dana White likes that idea, but MMA will never, in my estimation, reach boxing's once glorious status of the 20th century, so I dearly hope it survives.
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

Flyers2001
captain
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-22-09 12:46 PM - Post#1015678    

In response to Canucko29

According to Arum, Pacman and Hatton is off as of right now. Roach wants to meet with Pac and try to talk some sense into him, but it doesn't look like Pac is budging esp. after firing back and Richard Scheafer. Instead of 50-50 pac wanted 60-40, hatton countered with 52-48, and Pac then settled for 55-45 which didn't fly in Hatton's camp. So it's off as of right now.

Manny and Marg keep talking about a fight. Thats crazier than DLH and Pac, but who knows anymore.

Floyd is not coming back unless he is making a substantial amount more than his opponent and wether Pac or Hatton can deal with that remains to be seen.
My Boxing Blog

Toddyrockboxing

Flyers2001
captain
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-22-09 12:50 PM - Post#1015685    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
  • Bomber24 Said:

MMA has become more popular in the US, Japan and a few odd select countries (maybe). Even in Brazil where MMA was given most of its life and they produce some of the best fighters in the world today (e.g. Anderson Silva), boxing is still most popular there. 50 million Brazillians watched Acelino Freitas' wedding and he was no Eder Jofre. If they had an Eder Jofre going today, they wouldn't even know what MMA is.

Also, MMA has yet to endure the same challenges that boxing has. Just wait until fighters are able to make it out on their own, are under contract from independent promotions like Top Rank and there is no more UFC totalitarianism from the likes of Dana White to keep fights exciting and to make sure decisions are just. Then, we'll see if people still keep flocking.

Not to mention, boxing's heavyweight division is at its worst right now and some of the other divisions are also not doing too well in terms of talent. Meanwhile, MMA is at its best. And that could always end if there coverboys aren't able to sustain their mythological status, which is always likely in MMA due to its volatility.

I am a fan of both sports, but I don't believe boxing is dead because of MMA. And I think it's kind of stupid for MMA fans to resent boxing. Dana White likes that idea, but MMA will never, in my estimation, reach boxing's once glorious status of the 20th century, so I dearly hope it survives.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but to extend further on the point of boxing's glorious status. I don't think MMA can put out a mega fight in terms of a DLH vs. Mayweather or Tyson vs. Holyfield or Frazier vs. Ali and so on... For the most part there are some very good cards with the UFC, but in order to get those huge mega fights, UFC will have to go truly mainstream and that is risky as well.
My Boxing Blog

Toddyrockboxing

Gary G
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-23-09 10:59 AM - Post#1016198    

In response to Flyers2001

ESPN just reported Pac VS Hatton is set for May 2nd. Haven't heard the split, but my guess is somewhere along 55-45.

As for the fight, I don't look for this to last long. Hatton was outclassed by Mayweather and Pac is maybe not as fast, but damn near and hits just as hard and effectively.

Pac by 4th round KO
This space for sale

Doc
veteran
Total Posts: 335
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-09 01:41 PM - Post#1016276    

In response to Gary G

Ahhh, a good ol' boxing thread to lure me out of my lurker status.

I think the fight tomorrow night is going to be more interesting than most people think. Margarito is a monster, and Shane is the definition of warrior. The fight with Cotto probably took a lot out of Mosley, who ain't what he used to be in the first place. Shane has good pop, but it won't be enough to keep Tony away. Margarito relys on the accumulation of damage to slow his opponents down, meanwhile he keeps coming on and eventually they break. That makes it look like he starts slow, because his opponents are fresh enough to do pretty well in the first few rounds. Mosley is as tough as they come and is an accurate puncher. Because of that, he may have a huge lead going into the later rounds and Margarito might need a KO or end up losing on points. I'm an admitted Margarito nuthugger, and this fight makes me nervous.

But with all that said, I expect a typical Margarito fight, lose a few rounds early then come on like a train. I don't think he KO's Mosley, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened around the 11th.

John_P
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-09 05:39 PM - Post#1016421    

In response to Doc

• Doc Said:
Ahhh, a good ol' boxing thread to lure me out of my lurker status.

I think the fight tomorrow night is going to be more interesting than most people think. Margarito is a monster, and Shane is the definition of warrior. The fight with Cotto probably took a lot out of Mosley, who ain't what he used to be in the first place. Shane has good pop, but it won't be enough to keep Tony away. Margarito relys on the accumulation of damage to slow his opponents down, meanwhile he keeps coming on and eventually they break. That makes it look like he starts slow, because his opponents are fresh enough to do pretty well in the first few rounds. Mosley is as tough as they come and is an accurate puncher. Because of that, he may have a huge lead going into the later rounds and Margarito might need a KO or end up losing on points. I'm an admitted Margarito nuthugger, and this fight makes me nervous.

But with all that said, I expect a typical Margarito fight, lose a few rounds early then come on like a train. I don't think he KO's Mosley, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened around the 11th.

Good assessment. Shane is now a flat footed fighter with little lateral movement. If he can stay on his toes and move side to side he'll have a chance, but I don't see that happening at this stage of his career. Margo by TKO in 8 or 9.
"And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has, in showing that religion and gov't will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together." James Madison

Floyd
superstar
Total Posts: 2749
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-09 11:18 AM - Post#1016659    

In response to John_P

Boxing fans, tell me this is not the lock of all locks. No way can Mosely beat Margarito. As of yesterday, odds were 3-1. I had thought it might be 5-1 or worse. I don't bet often but I'm going big here. I want to see what the over/under is on rounds. Mosley is one prideful and tough dude. I see him hanging in for at least 7. If Canucko is around, I'm sure he's wagering some geese on this one and would be great to get his pre-fight opinion, here.

John_P
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-09 01:53 PM - Post#1016724    

In response to Floyd

• Floyd Said:
Boxing fans, tell me this is not the lock of all locks. No way can Mosely beat Margarito. As of yesterday, odds were 3-1. I had thought it might be 5-1 or worse. I don't bet often but I'm going big here. I want to see what the over/under is on rounds. Mosley is one prideful and tough dude. I see him hanging in for at least 7. If Canucko is around, I'm sure he's wagering some geese on this one and would be great to get his pre-fight opinion, here.

I do not see this as a lock. Shane still has some left in the tank and if he can somehow move like he did 5 years ago he will beat Margo, but he doesn't move all that well anymore. I think 3 or 4 to 1 is about right. A fleet footed and slick boxer should beat Margarito. Shane used to be just that, can he regain his old form? I doubt it, but it's not out of the question.

Gary G
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-25-09 08:53 PM - Post#1017325    

In response to John_P

• John_P Said:
  • Floyd Said:

I do not see this as a lock. Shane still has some left in the tank and if he can somehow move like he did 5 years ago he will beat Margo, but he doesn't move all that well anymore. I think 3 or 4 to 1 is about right. A fleet footed and slick boxer should beat Margarito. Shane used to be just that, can he regain his old form? I doubt it, but it's not out of the question.

Sounds like you almost pulled the trigger on calling the upset huh John? You nailed the Pac man ODH fight as well if I remeber. Who do you like in the Hatton-Pacquiao fight 5-2?
This space for sale

John_P
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-09 09:40 PM - Post#1017341    

In response to Gary G

• 5150 Said:
  • John_P Said:
  • Floyd Said:

Sounds like you almost pulled the trigger on calling the upset huh John? You nailed the Pac man ODH fight as well if I remeber. Who do you like in the Hatton-Pacquiao fight 5-2?

Thanks for the props. Mosely punished Margarito and beat him down. I was stunned at how strong he looked and how hard he was hitting. Styles make fights and Margarito will have trouble with a guy who can turn him and give him tough angles.

So far I'm picking Pacman, but we'll see how they look heading into the fight. That one could be an absolute classic. The split ended up being 52-48.

With Mosely doing so well Saturday night, its about time we finally saw Mosely-Mayweather. Mosely turned down a couple fights when Floyd was coming up, but now it would be a good money fight with the winner setting up a Super fight with the winner of Pacman-Hatton, but that's all probably wishful thinking by me.

I would be ecstatic if this scenario played out and I'd pick Pacman by TKO over Hatton, Mayweather by UD over Mosely and Mayweather by TKO over Pacman in the finale.

Edited by John_P on 01-25-09 09:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 64 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
67 Online Now
6 viewable users and 2 hidden plus 59 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" with 38 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.698 seconds.   Total Queries: 348   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 01:46 PM