hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 4 1234
Username Post: GOON Trailer        (Topic#533241)
Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 29670
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
Pagey
legend
Total Posts: 13110
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

11-08-11 12:55 PM - Post#1363959    

In response to Posux

Looks funny enough. I wonder how real hockey fans and opponents of fighting in the game will react to the movie.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

ROBBIE
superstar
Total Posts: 2685
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-15-11 11:18 AM - Post#1366131    

In response to Pagey

Looks like a funny movie nothing more kinda
"That's right... I've killed women and children. Killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time, or another. And, I'm here to kill you, little Bill. For what you did to Ned."

InVain316
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5066
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-15-11 12:02 PM - Post#1366146    

In response to ROBBIE

Looks like a funny movie that us fight fans should it enjoy... But it saddens me that this is what the book was watered down into. The real story is so much better. I wish HBO would have picked it up and done a series.

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-15-11 12:10 PM - Post#1366149    

In response to InVain316

Screw it, I'm in!
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

licoricebiscuit
superstar
Total Posts: 3162
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-16-11 06:46 PM - Post#1366572    

In response to InVain316

• InVain316 Said:
Looks like a funny movie that us fight fans should it enjoy... But it saddens me that this is what the book was watered down into. The real story is so much better. I wish HBO would have picked it up and done a series.

Indeed. More times than not if you dig a book most likely you will be disappointed by the translation onto the silver screen.
Potius Mori Quam Foedari

Dupre2003
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5188
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-17-11 02:46 PM - Post#1366864    

In response to licoricebiscuit

Looks ok. Will probably check it out.

InVain316
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5066
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-17-11 05:20 PM - Post#1366902    

In response to Dupre2003

The book should be mandatory reading for everyone who posts here. Seriously folks, do yourselves a favor and order a copy. I'm positive you'll enjoy it. I've read it more than once.

Fed29
all star
Total Posts: 1587
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-17-11 07:01 PM - Post#1366932    

In response to InVain316

• InVain316 Said:
The book should be mandatory reading for everyone who posts here. Seriously folks, do yourselves a favor and order a copy. I'm positive you'll enjoy it. I've read it more than once.

Ya it is a really good readn Im going to have to find it so I can read it again.
Does anyone know if this movie is going to come out in theatres or is it streight to video

Blues 34
superstar
Total Posts: 2643
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-18-11 02:49 PM - Post#1367220    

In response to Fed29

Books are always better than movies. I will give it a look though. The lineup of actors sure could have been better.
Take the shortest route to the puck and arive there in Ill Humor

Fotiu
Total Posts: 15738
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-18-11 06:37 PM - Post#1367262    

In response to Blues 34

I will see the film before I read the book - I will probably like both better that way.
President Camacho in 2016!

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16780
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-22-11 08:05 AM - Post#1368036    

In response to Fotiu

I wonder do they cover the scene where he tries to fight Dennis Bonvie. That was pretty comedic as it happened naturally. They square off and Bonvie does his normal back off and shed the elbow pads an helmet routine...Springfield actually score on the play as they're squaring off and Smith is pissed because it got the linesmen over quicker to break up the fight. He could care less about the goal for his team as he wanted to add Bonvie to his card much more than winning the game. The linesmen broke them up and there was some great back and fourth banter from the penalty box. Bonvie giving him the typical "Who are you" business and Smith giving Dennis shit for taking to long to get down to business from the square off. "Why don't go over to the bench for a drink, maybe comb your hair you fucking pussy" or something along those lines. Then Smith jumps him out of the box and gets the only penalty as Bonvie turtles up on him. Then when Cape Breton score on the Powerplay Bonvie is giving it to him from the bench. "Nice Work kid, picked up your first pro assist." Springfield ended up winning the game though as Bonvie was negated after running the shit out of them the games prior when Scott Daniels wanted no part of him. Smith went right after him, wasn't intimidated and had Bonvie worried about fucking around with him the whole game rather than running around and getting in the faces of the other players who he'd effectively intimidated in the prior games. At the end of the day it was a good job by Smith and something that would probably translate well into the movie given the fairly humourous circumstances of the goings on surrounding their pair of "no gos".
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

Hooligan
prospect
Total Posts: 15
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 09:30 AM - Post#1369403    

In response to Drunk_24-7

Drunk...Goon is not a straight biography. Rather, writers Evan Goldberg (Superbad, Pineapple Express, Green Hornet) and Jay Baruchel took the character of Doug Smith and the basics of what he was and did (bouncer who wanted to be a minor-league hockey fighter) and incorporated it into a screenplay.

While there are scenes in the movie that came directly from the book (the Bonvie scene isn't - sorry), in order to make a commercial film (that will actually be seen by millions in the theater and make money, rather than be a documentary), it was important to mold the 10-year story of Doug into a 90-minute film that will appeal to more than just the rabid hockey-fight crowd.

In any case, just like "Field of Dreams" and "The Natural" had some over-the-top stuff in it, it still appealed to baseball fans, and along the same vein "Goon" will certainly appeal to hockey, hockey fight fans, and fans of comedies like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Porkys" in the day, and today's "Superbad" and "Pineapple Express".

Even more to the point, "Slap Shot", while based on truth, had some over-the-top stuff in it that hockey purists point out and scoff at. If it was made as a documentary about the North American Hockey League, it wouldn't stand as the classic it is today. It would have been seen by a couple thousand hockey fight lunatics like me and you, and now sit dusty in some forgotten documentary film shelf.

What Nancy Dowd did with her brother's stories to write "Slap Shot" is what was done to make "Goon".

Edited by Hooligan on 11-27-11 09:31 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Fotiu
Total Posts: 15738
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 11:22 AM - Post#1369416    

In response to Hooligan

• Hooligan Said:
Drunk...Goon is not a straight biography. Rather, writers Evan Goldberg (Superbad, Pineapple Express, Green Hornet) and Jay Baruchel took the character of Doug Smith and the basics of what he was and did (bouncer who wanted to be a minor-league hockey fighter) and incorporated it into a screenplay.

While there are scenes in the movie that came directly from the book (the Bonvie scene isn't - sorry), in order to make a commercial film (that will actually be seen by millions in the theater and make money, rather than be a documentary), it was important to mold the 10-year story of Doug into a 90-minute film that will appeal to more than just the rabid hockey-fight crowd.

In any case, just like "Field of Dreams" and "The Natural" had some over-the-top stuff in it, it still appealed to baseball fans, and along the same vein "Goon" will certainly appeal to hockey, hockey fight fans, and fans of comedies like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Porkys" in the day, and today's "Superbad" and "Pineapple Express".

Even more to the point, "Slap Shot", while based on truth, had some over-the-top stuff in it that hockey purists point out and scoff at. If it was made as a documentary about the North American Hockey League, it wouldn't stand as the classic it is today. It would have been seen by a couple thousand hockey fight lunatics like me and you, and now sit dusty in some forgotten documentary film shelf.

What Nancy Dowd did with her brother's stories to write "Slap Shot" is what was done to make "Goon".

I highly doubt they did what Nancy Dowd did. When I hear "broader appeal" from Hollywood, it's usually code that there's some bogus romantic subplot that's been awkwardly tacked on and a healthy dose of "Miracle on Ice" schmaltz to appeal to women and children.

Also, it's not like Slapshot was an instant success. It took decades to become a classic.

Don't shit on documentaries - There's a ton of classic documentaries. Somebody should have made the enforcer equivalent of "Hoop Dreams" by now.

If "Slap Shot" was a documentary that included the actual footage of the brawls the screenplay were based on, we'd have a classic of epic proportions.

But you're absolutely right in that it wouldn't have had as wide an appeal, and I understand that moviemaking is about making money.

Also, "Field of Dreams" and the "Natural" were schmaltzy shit fests. If "Goon" is anything like either one of those, it will be "Rudy" on skates - Which means it will completely suck ass.
President Camacho in 2016!

Sal
captain
Total Posts: 998
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 11:39 AM - Post#1369418    

In response to Fotiu

where do i order this book from?

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16780
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 01:06 PM - Post#1369443    

In response to Sal

Hooligan I understand perfectly what you're saying. I just thought that occurance with Bonvie was one of the funniest things in the book and would translate well to a comedy movie because of the dialouge involved so I was wondering if maybe it would have made it in there considering Smith only had a couple of AHL fights. I thought it was based closer to the book and would sort of culminate with the AHL showdown with Bialowas but regardless of how little it stays true to the book, the concept will make it a movie I'm quite confident I'm going to enjoy and one that I'm definatly looking forward to seeing.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

Posux
Senior Vet
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 02:23 PM - Post#1369459    

In response to Drunk_24-7

Gill, who shitted on documentaries? There already is an amazing documentary on hockey fighters. Go find it.

A movie about hockey is tough enough to get made. But a documentary? Even harder. And I think Ice Guardians will get hockey fight fans very excited if the league ever signs off on it.

This movie looks funny to me. I'm glad it got made. I don't think we're looking at SLAPSHOT here, but it's all good fun.

Wildenforcers.com
Veteran
Total Posts: 8212
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 02:35 PM - Post#1369463    

In response to InVain316

• InVain316 Said:

Good post. I ordered a copy for Derek Boogaard after he sored his first goal in the ECHL in Louisiana. He enjoyed it as well!
RIP Dad
10/15/42 - 10/13/08

RIP Derek Boogaard
1982 - 2011

Hooligan
prospect
Total Posts: 15
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 06:59 PM - Post#1369490    

In response to Fotiu

After reading Gill's post, I see even more how close Dowd's screenplay process was to Goon's, right down to the romantic subplots thrown in. Slap Shot had two, and Goon has 1-1/2.

And of course your shitting on documentaries comment was in jest, right? You do get the point, right?

If not, the Toronto Standard, reporting from the Toronto International Film Festival where Goon, the Nilan documentary Last Gladiators, and Breakaway all premiered in early September, wrote:

"...All three had zero buzz at the outset of the fest, and sure enough, the first two went over like flat beer. But Goon has surprised everyone, screening to a hugely enthusiastic response over the weekend (Variety: 'Sweet-natured but armed with a solid punch'; The Hollywood Reporter: 'Surprisingly funny.')"

If Slap Shot was filmed as a documentary, while all of us on this forum would view it as a celuloid bible, it would never have enough viewers to push it on the road toward "epic." And you mention Hoop Dreams -- I love Hoop Dreams -- enough to have researched what the two kids did since and now (one is fairly successful, the other a bum). But that silly cartoon with Michael Jordan, Space Jam, made more than a quarter of a BILLION dollars. Hoop Dreams has checked in with just under $12 million.

Also, Field of Dreams and The Natural are roundly considered classics by the vast majority of the sport-movie watching population of the world, and both won big at the box office -- Oh God please let Goon be anything like those two!

And as far as those thinking "I don't think we're looking at Slap Shot here," until you see it, think again:

After the Denver Film Festival: "New Hockey Film 'Goon' A Modern Day 'Slap Shot'...Move over
'Slap Shot.' Hold the greenlight on that remake Hollywood. There's a new sheriff in town."

My favorite review was after the Toronto screening: "...now a generation later, director Michael Dowse has given the world a hockey movie that not only approaches the glory of Slap Shot, but may very well eclipse them."

Ultimately, and Posux wrote it perfectly, can anybody here possibly fathom what it took to make a hockey movie about a goon during a recesion? I think about it and just laugh. Even if 99% of the reviews weren't glowing, a person would be hard-pressed to write or say anything negative about Goon that could depress me. The whole experience, and everything that is to come, is all gravy!

Posux
Senior Vet
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-27-11 07:05 PM - Post#1369492    

In response to Hooligan

Hooligan, I'm seeing the film very soon, so I'll let you know if it compares to SLAP SHOT. I just find it hard to believe anyone, especially Liev and Sean, can play the roles anywhere close to the legendary Newman.

But congrats on this film. I support you.

Page 1 of 4 1234
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
62 Online Now
7 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 55 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "RIP Pat Quinn" with 22 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.351 seconds.   Total Queries: 350   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 09:41 AM