hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 3 All123
Username Post: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo        (Topic#533989)
Humpzilla
superstar
Total Posts: 4777
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-21-11 12:31 PM - Post#1379414    

Anyone seen it yet? Suppose to be excellent. I really hope this becomes as much a franchise as it became in Europe.
My Youtube channel

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 2760
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-21-11 12:53 PM - Post#1379434    

In response to Humpzilla

Not the AMerican remake, I saw the original Swedish version. As beautiful as the shots were I don't want to see the abuse scenes again. Tho the one social worker really got some payback. It is an excellent film, the original.

Edited by HenryHanson on 12-21-11 12:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

BlockerBrothers
all star
Total Posts: 1349
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-21-11 01:28 PM - Post#1379460    

In response to HenryHanson

I watched a trailer for this a few weeks back and the movie (based on the trailer) didn't interest me in the least. Last night I watched a different trailer and it looked a hell of a lot better.

I went from having zero interest to now wanting to see it.

Ogie
legend
Total Posts: 11357
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-21-11 01:44 PM - Post#1379473    

In response to BlockerBrothers

I also watched the Swedish version and thought it was excellent. Will def. watch this one when it comes out on DVD. BTW check out the background on Rooney Mara who plays Lisabeth in the film. She comes from an extremely wealthy background and has a hot sister in the business to boot.
"Buy me a soda after the game."

ROBBIE
superstar
Total Posts: 2664
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-22-11 05:27 PM - Post#1380124    

In response to Ogie

The woman Noomi Rapace who played the originall Lisbeth ( Swedish version ) are also gonna be in the new Sherlock Holmes and also in Prometheus
"That's right... I've killed women and children. Killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time, or another. And, I'm here to kill you, little Bill. For what you did to Ned."

Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24458
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-22-11 06:41 PM - Post#1380143    

In response to Ogie

• Ogie Said:
I also watched the Swedish version and thought it was excellent. Will def. watch this one when it comes out on DVD. BTW check out the background on Rooney Mara who plays Lisabeth in the film. She comes from an extremely wealthy background and has a hot sister in the business to boot.

she comes from "Football" royalty. Isnt she names after the owner of the Steelers?

I wonder if she is going to do the nude/rape stuff the girl did in the Swedish version.

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-22-11 07:00 PM - Post#1380150    

In response to Mike

I think that family owns the Giants.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

Ogie
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-22-11 08:27 PM - Post#1380173    

In response to Panzerrat

Correct. Rooney's own the Steelers and Mara's the Giants.

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8142
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-28-11 06:34 PM - Post#1381659    

In response to Ogie

I saw this today. I was a little concerned about an almost 3 hour running time but it is nicely editted. Great cinematography, an interesting Trent Reznor score and an apparent faithful translation of the source material, although I haven't read the book.

It is an interesting movie and Rooney Mara really puts herself out there. I was shocked that she would do some of these scenes given her parents' very conservative upbringing. And she is a descendant of both the Steelers (Art Rooney) and NY Giants (Tim Mara) founders.

Daniel Craig is solid. The supporting players are all very good. ***1/2 stars out of four.

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 29582
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-28-11 07:40 PM - Post#1381696    

In response to Pete

Great review. Totally agree. Rooney was amazing in this. It just looked cool, and even the harsh scenes were set up perfectly.

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15135
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-28-11 09:35 PM - Post#1381778    

In response to Posux

I heard it was disappointing in that it didn't capture the complexity of the book. But since I haven't read it yet, it's worth it for me to see.

Has anyone read the book who's seen the movie?
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-28-11 09:42 PM - Post#1381782    

In response to Tim-

I have seen the Swedish version of the film. And I really want to see the US version because I love Fincher's films, especially dark ones, and I heard Rooney Mara is incredible. The only negative I heard from a friend that just saw it and also saw the Swedish version was the Fincher version didn't bring anything really new or better and the dark side of the film is more toned down in the US version. I haven't seen it yet so can't comment.

Posux
Senior Vet
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-28-11 11:57 PM - Post#1381815    

In response to Tim-

• Tim- Said:
I heard it was disappointing in that it didn't capture the complexity of the book. But since I haven't read it yet, it's worth it for me to see.

Has anyone read the book who's seen the movie?

Hard to capture the complexity of a book this size in two hours and forty-five minutes.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10434
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-29-11 01:16 AM - Post#1381822    

In response to Posux

I just saw it and liked it. I won't call it a masterpiece, but it's not far off. You can tell it was adapted from a superior book, because so many answers to the characters motives are not revealed (and they should've been given how drastic they were).

But it's still a very intelligent well-directed film that is worth a viewing. It won't win any awards, but neither did Seven and many of us look back at that film as a cinematic classic (including myself).

This Rooney Mara girl is awesome. She's also attractive in a very gothish way, which is surprising.

There is one scene in this movie that literally almost made me leave the theatre, because it gets personal, but I didn't. Tough scene to watch. Fincher just doesn't pull any punches in his films, even though sometimes he should.
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8142
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-29-11 12:51 PM - Post#1381975    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
I just saw it and liked it. I won't call it a masterpiece, but it's not far off. You can tell it was adapted from a superior book, because so many answers to the characters motives are not revealed (and they should've been given how drastic they were).

But it's still a very intelligent well-directed film that is worth a viewing. It won't win any awards, but neither did Seven and many of us look back at that film as a cinematic classic (including myself).

This Rooney Mara girl is awesome. She's also attractive in a very gothish way, which is surprising.

There is one scene in this movie that literally almost made me leave the theatre, because it gets personal, but I didn't. Tough scene to watch. Fincher just doesn't pull any punches in his films, even though sometimes he should.

I agree. The reason why I couldn't give it four stars is there is so much ground to cover that some of the motives are left to the viewer. This easily could have been deconstructed into 2 films as there are several relationships, the back story with Nazism (not a spoiler), and even how Lisbeth's "network" of suppliers and friends was established.

As far as the narrative, I agree it was pretty straight forward but it could have ended up a mess in someone else's hands.

I don't know why, but I love films set in a snowy setting. A Simple Plan is another that immediately comes to mind.

Posux
Senior Vet
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-29-11 01:48 PM - Post#1382004    

In response to Pete

A Simple Plan was a great film! Good call.

Ogie
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-29-11 02:15 PM - Post#1382030    

In response to Posux

The entire Sweidsh movie series ia available on Netflix to stream. I plan on watching hornets nest and fire this weekend.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-11 06:50 PM - Post#1382633    

In response to Ogie

Saw it this afternoon and thought it was very good.

I could surely have done without certain scenes.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-11 06:53 PM - Post#1382635    

In response to PuckRogue

I thought you live in the butt rape state! Toughen up.

Engine33
superstar
Total Posts: 2693
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-31-11 12:12 AM - Post#1382846    

In response to Mike

Girlfriend and I watched A Girl with the Dragon Tattoo tonight.
I hadnt' read any of the books, so i was completely clueless going in accept it was an investigation.

I have to say, i LOVED the movie, I was very into it. I thought it was well done, and had my attention the entire time.

5 outta 5

Page 1 of 3 All123
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
62 Online Now
7 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 54 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Possible Fights 9/26/14" with 40 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.342 seconds.   Total Queries: 349   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 02:53 PM