hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 5 1234>
Username Post: Advice on Buying a Handgun        (Topic#534779)
superstar
Total Posts: 4074
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 01:30 PM - Post#1398772    

I'm on the market for a handgun right now and wanted to get FC's advice, as I know a lot of you guys are gun owners and have had experience with firearms. I have owned guns in the past, but just kind of wanted some extra input.

I'm looking for something primarily for self/home defense and something that I could get a concealed carry permit for and carry on occasion. So, theoretically I would like something with some stop, but something that isn't really bulky. Another consideration is that I have fairly big hands and compact handguns don't always feel comfortable when I fire them, so I would like to stay clear of them. I have owned .40 S&W guns before and think it is a good intermediary round. Is there anything else out there that I should consider?

If you guys have any advice about brands and models, I would appreciate it.

Mods, I took a look at the archives and couldn't find any topics similar to this one discussed. If I missed one, my apologies.

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15132
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 01:34 PM - Post#1398778    

In response to 187

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 01:39 PM - Post#1398784    

In response to Tim-

Sig Sauer or Sig Sauer. Those are your two options.

I have had a P226 (9mm) for 15 years now and never had any kind of issue with it ever. Great gun. Always reliable. Love it.

All of their guns are top notch.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 01:40 PM - Post#1398785    

In response to Tim-

• Tim- Said:
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you can always hit them with it.

Thanks Boris, but don't you typically deal in knives?

Ogie
legend
Total Posts: 11243
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 01:41 PM - Post#1398786    

In response to Tim-

I'm not a gun owner but I have a few friends that are. They've always advised to stick with .40 to .45. Sigs and H&K you can't go wrong with apparently. It';s all about the feel in your hand.

I'm actually looking at getting a Mossberg Shotgun with a pistol grip instead.

Many in here with much better advice and experience than me.
"Buy me a soda after the game."

superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 01:46 PM - Post#1398788    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:
Sig Sauer or Sig Sauer. Those are your two options.

I have had a P226 (9mm) for 15 years now and never had any kind of issue with it ever. Great gun. Always reliable. Love it.

All of their guns are top notch.

-PR

I have fired some Sigs before and I have enjoyed them. They can get pretty pricey though. You sound happy with your gun PR, but do you feel like the price tag is justified compared to something else?

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 01:48 PM - Post#1398790    

In response to 187

While I have fired tons of handguns over the years, this is the only one I've ever owned and I do think it's worth it simply based on their reputation. I would not want to find out that my gun was unreliable when I needed it.

So, yeah...it's worth it.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 16284
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 02:17 PM - Post#1398816    

In response to 187

I'm sure Glockman would agree, but the sub-compact glocks (the G26 - 9mm and G27 - .40 cal) are pretty good concealed carry weapons.

I just bought a S&W .38 Bodyguard with the integrated laser.

Nice looking handgun, and is comfortable. It is a perfect size for CC, and you could even keep it in your coat or pants pocket since the cocking mechanism is internal.

On the down side, I don't think the laser is particularly useful, since it is kind of awkward to turn it on, and the cylinder release, while ambidextrous, is difficult to get used to and also kind of awkward.

I like revolvers since they are as reliable as you can get, and S&W has been making great guns forever. So I'm kind of biased that way.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied.

ILB
superstar
Total Posts: 3892
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-07-12 02:28 PM - Post#1398825    

In response to PuckRogue

I was looking at ordering a 44 Colt "old school" pistol. I have my FAC (required in Canada), but I'm not as gun savvy as I'd like to be. The ones I have seen are sold online through the States, is it a difficult process to acquire a gun and have it shipped to Canada?
"The Hand is fine, I got a shot of chromosome yesterday."

John Kordic on the status of his hand.

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 02:30 PM - Post#1398826    

In response to ILB

PM me.

(Dearest members of the ATF, I am totally kidding when I say that)

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Engine33
superstar
Total Posts: 2680
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 02:43 PM - Post#1398830    

In response to Tim-

• Tim- Said:

Borris the blade, Borris the bullet-dodger!

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 25676
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 02:53 PM - Post#1398834    

In response to PuckRogue

There are a few brands/models that I’d stay away from (S&W M&P line for example), but most of the name brands – SA/Sig/Glock/H&K/Beretta/etc are all pretty solid choices. Certian frames fit people better than others. I don’t like Glocks, they don’t seem to fit my hand well. I love the XD’s, fits me like a glove

.40 Cal is a good round, ammo is available and not too expensive

You have a price point in mind?
It was down in Louisiana,
Just about a mile from Texarkana,
In them old cotton fields back home.

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8209
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 03:11 PM - Post#1398849    

In response to Johnny_Upton

I believe in the mantra "Never get in a gun fight with a pistol not starting with the #4." Also, like others have said, Glocks feel weird to me. I'm a Kimber guy, but I'm tall enough to carry a 1911 if I want. It's a thin pistol, so that helps. Sig and H&K are well worth the look. A buddy of mine has a H&K USP .40, and it's a great gun.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12253
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 03:18 PM - Post#1398855    

In response to ILB

• i like boobs Said:
I was looking at ordering a 44 Colt "old school" pistol. I have my FAC (required in Canada), but I'm not as gun savvy as I'd like to be. The ones I have seen are sold online through the States, is it a difficult process to acquire a gun and have it shipped to Canada?

Fac is just the beginning dude,lots of red tape and permits to carry the gun to and from a range and thats it,back in concealled storage.

superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 03:30 PM - Post#1398861    

In response to Johnny_Upton

• Johnny_Upton Said:
There are a few brands/models that I’d stay away from (S&W M&P line for example), but most of the name brands – SA/Sig/Glock/H&K/Beretta/etc are all pretty solid choices. Certian frames fit people better than others. I don’t like Glocks, they don’t seem to fit my hand well. I love the XD’s, fits me like a glove

I was hoping to get the gun, a conceal holster, and a couple extra magazines for around a grand. I would be willing to pay a bit more for the right fit though.

Ogie
legend
Total Posts: 11243
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 03:49 PM - Post#1398871    

In response to 187

1 grand should be plenty for what you're looking for.
"Buy me a soda after the game."

NYRfan
legend
Total Posts: 26915
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 04:05 PM - Post#1398878    

In response to Ogie

Desert Eagle .50. Good for robbers, muggers, cars, trucks, grizzlies, elephants.

But really, I'd prefer something with 16-19 round magazines. Glock and a couple others have these in 9 or 10 mm, for ~ 300ish.

Revolvers are less prone to problems, but 6 rounds seems paltry next to 18 or 19.

You can get a nice Bushmaster AR-15 for well under 1000 now. That's what I want !

Your ultimate zombie / earthquake / anarchy duo, 9mm with 19 rounds and AR15 with 42 round mag.

stockfan
legend
Total Posts: 14388
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 04:10 PM - Post#1398881    

In response to NYRfan

I'm no expert, but I'd go with this

Ineptocracy— a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing.

NYRfan
legend
Total Posts: 26915
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 04:12 PM - Post#1398882    

In response to stockfan

haha, yeah, it will tear somebody a new, extry large asshole.....

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 25676
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-07-12 06:21 PM - Post#1398960    

In response to 187

• 187 Said:
  • Johnny_Upton Said:

I was hoping to get the gun, a conceal holster, and a couple extra magazines for around a grand. I would be willing to pay a bit more for the right fit though.

You shouldn't have any issue. Plastic frame guns like Glock/SA/Beretta should run you under $600. Sig should be a little more. HK should be in the $750-800 range. Most should come with at least 2 mags (Not sure if you're looking for 2 more) One brand to look at is FN - nice guns at a good price.

1911 type will run you $600 for an SA GI model to well north of $2,000

Figure $50 for the holster, another $50 for spare mags and $80 for a brick of ammo

It was down in Louisiana,
Just about a mile from Texarkana,
In them old cotton fields back home.

Page 1 of 5 1234>
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
31 Online Now
2 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 29 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Why?" with 74 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.311 seconds.   Total Queries: 347   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 11:15 PM