hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Helmet Law, only 31 states.        (Topic#535868)
HEAVYWEIGHT
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7341
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 09:30 PM - Post#1428068    

Michigan, NO HELMET law passed.

Wow, Citizens are allowed to use their own judgement, GG>

USA, "BACK to BACK World War Champs"!

foolish
captain
Total Posts: 662
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 10:52 PM - Post#1428131    

In response to HEAVYWEIGHT

I've always been a little curious about helmet laws in the US. I 100% support freedom of choice et al, and see how some bikers want to be able to ride "free" - but if those bikers also chose to not have health insurance or to not save hundreds of thousands of dollars for potential brain injury treatment, do the also feel free to take advantage of the state and the tax payer when they lay it down and smack their heads off the street?

If the gov shouldnt have to provide birth control for slutty college chicks, should it have to provide care for head injuries brought on by bikers choosing to not wear any protection?

Disclaimer: rode bikes in my 20's - always with leathers and bucket... Stopped when I realized my recklessness or that of those iwas sharing the road with would probably get me killed sooner than later. That was my choice. I support anyone else's choices which may be different. Just want to know what the thought process is if there are any members who are choosing to ride without protective gear....

Baldridge
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8158
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 10:54 PM - Post#1428134    

In response to foolish

Next,hopefully they get rid of child seat laws.I should have the right to keep my child from being in a car seat.Who is the Government to tell me what is best for for my child?.....
I am finnish young man, Juha Suomesta.

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15151
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 02:03 AM - Post#1428238    

In response to Baldridge

If I choose to not wear a helmet, how does that negatively affect you? I'm the one taking the risk. It's not your head that's going to be dragged for 200 yards down the highway.

Same with seatbelt laws - in fact seatbelt laws probably cause more accidents because drivers feel safer knowing that if they make a mistake, they will probably be okay.

As Steven Landsburg put it: "If you find it hard to believe that people drive less carefully when their cars are safer, consider the proposition that people drive more carefully when their cars are more dangerous. This is, of course, just another way of saying the same thing, but somehow people find it easier to believe. If the seat belts were removed from your car, wouldn’t you be more cautious in driving? Carrying this observation to the extreme, Armen Alchian of the University of California at Los Angeles has suggested a way to bring about a major reduction in the accident rate: Require every car to have a spear mounted on the steering wheel, pointing directly at the driver’s heart. Alchian confidently predicts that we would see a lot less tailgating."
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8881
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 07:40 AM - Post#1428260    

In response to Tim-

The argument has been that if someone chooses to not wear helmet/seatbelt it increases chances of serious injury which may fall on the tax payer to foot the bill. In the case of helmet, I'm guessing you're fucked whether you wear it or not if you shit the bed at 80 MPH.
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

Edited by taz on 04-14-12 07:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tim-
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 08:19 AM - Post#1428271    

In response to taz

I wonder what the cost of drafting, examining, and maintaining the law is. Not to mention enforcement, both pro- and re- active.

I know people who have crashed at over 80 MPH, wearing full protection, and were able to walk away. That is, riding jacket/pants and full face shield helmet. I'm not entirely sure I believe that you're fucked if you crash, if you know how to fall properly and have good equipment.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

Cane
all star
Total Posts: 2435
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 09:31 AM - Post#1428283    

In response to Tim-

I stopped reading when I saw something about "people would drive more careful if they weren't wearing seatbelts".

I don't care if you are the safest driver in the world, there's always going to be some jackass driver out there to take you out. Additionally accidents do happen and people do get ejected from vehicles.

Here in Detroit at my hospital we see people all the time come to our operating room for unrestrained motor accidents. With spring weather here we've already had a number of motorcycle accidents, luckily the ones who make it to the operating room where I work were wearing helmets and survived.

Since Michigan no longer requires helmets on motorcycles does that mean I can go to the metro parks and ride a bicycle without a helmet. Currently they make you wear one.
I'd rather fight than score. - Dave "The Hammer" Schultz

Tim-
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 09:35 AM - Post#1428284    

In response to Cane

Cane, if you read the rest of the post, you will see the logic.

And I never once argued that the severity of the accidents would lessen by not wearing a seat belt. Just that the frequency should.

-Tadeusz Borowski

haymaker36
Total Posts: 13948
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 11:13 AM - Post#1428303    

In response to Baldridge

• Baldridge Said:
Next,hopefully they get rid of child seat laws.I should have the right to keep my child from being in a car seat.Who is the Government to tell me what is best for for my child?.....

Yeah hopefully they get rid of those child proof medicine caps and age minimums for toys. If we're real lucky we can eliminate all lead product bans, and start putting thumb tacks in Cheerios!

What the fuck are you, Brittney Spears? Do you really feel your freedoms are being trampled by ensuring young kids are in car seats?
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

Fotiu
Total Posts: 15738
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 11:24 AM - Post#1428306    

In response to haymaker36

Yeah, even though I don't ride, it's one of the things I actually respect about Delaware. They leave it up to you. If you want to leave your brains on the highway, it's completely your choice. God bless America. Also, you can make a U-Turn just about anywhere you fucking want, which is also awesome.
President Camacho in 2016!

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 02:37 PM - Post#1428366    

In response to Fotiu

Colorado is also a no-helmet law state. I think they actually repealed it a few years back. Since Washington was a helmet mandatory state, it's a little weird seeing them zip by with no skid-lids on.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

stockfan
legend
Total Posts: 14395
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 02:42 PM - Post#1428369    

In response to Fotiu

The Gubment can't tell 'em to wear helmets but they have no problem riding the roads that were built and are maintained by.....
Ineptocracy— a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing.

bizzaro
all star
Total Posts: 1410
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 03:20 PM - Post#1428382    

In response to stockfan

would I like this option? You bet, but in Canada the laws are based on the expense to the medical system if a rider has a serious head injury. Being that we have a free public system, sort of
He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. Benjamin Franklin

HEAVYWEIGHT
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 03:31 PM - Post#1428388    

In response to stockfan

• stockfan Said:
The Gubment can't tell 'em to wear helmets but they have no problem riding the roads that were built and are maintained by.....

The Tax payers.

unclepooch
veteran
Total Posts: 283
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-14-12 04:48 PM - Post#1428420    

In response to HEAVYWEIGHT

• HEAVYWEIGHT Said:
  • stockfan Said:

The Tax payers.

exactly.please go riding without a helmet heavy.you probaly already have.
piss in your head

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 04:53 PM - Post#1428422    

In response to unclepooch

• ghoulboy Said:
  • HEAVYWEIGHT Said:
  • stockfan Said:

The Tax payers.

Isn't California a nanny-state? I bet they have a helmet law.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

stockfan
legend
Total Posts: 14395
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 06:38 PM - Post#1428461    

In response to unclepooch

• ghoulboy Said:
  • HEAVYWEIGHT Said:
  • stockfan Said:

The Tax payers.

Exactly. The government has no role in building or maintaining the nations highways. Should really start wearing a helmet to protect that genius mind.
Ineptocracy— a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing.

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 29663
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 10:02 PM - Post#1428588    

In response to stockfan

I wear a Fulmer skull hat and I love it. I wouldn't ride without one.

HEAVYWEIGHT
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-12 10:18 PM - Post#1428596    

In response to Posux

Yep we got helmet laws here, I have a similar cap as posux.

I actually think helmets are plus, along with leather jacket and gloves. If you come off the bike, you will likey.

unclepooch
veteran
Total Posts: 283
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-14-12 10:20 PM - Post#1428598    

In response to stockfan

• stockfan Said:
  • ghoulboy Said:
  • HEAVYWEIGHT Said:
  • stockfan Said:

The Tax payers.

Exactly. The government has no role in building or maintaining the nations highways. Should really start wearing a helmet to protect that genius mind.

who's going to pay for it?you al?
piss in your head

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
67 Online Now
6 viewable users and 2 hidden plus 59 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" with 38 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.581 seconds.   Total Queries: 348   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 01:45 PM