hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Canadian baby given health card without sex designation        (Topic#549205)
ChiBoyinLA
all star
Total Posts: 1385
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-17 04:22 PM - Post#1701738    

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/health/can adian-baby...

A Canadian baby has been issued a health document that doesn't specify male or female, in what campaigners are claiming is a possible "world first."

Searyl Atli Doty was born in British Columbia, "outside the medical system," and did not undergo a genital inspection after birth, campaign group Gender Free I.D. Coalition said in a statement. The group's vision, stated on its website, is "to remove all gender/sex designations from identity documents."

Parent Kori Doty wants to avoid assigning gender to the child. Doty identifies as non-binary trans: According to GLAAD, non-binary is a term to describe people whose gender identity falls outside the categories of man and woman. Trans, short for transgender, describes people whose gender identity doesn't match the sex or gender they were assigned at birth.

"It is up to Searyl to decide how they identify, when they are old enough to develop their own gender identity," Doty said in the statement. "I am not going to foreclose their choices based on an arbitrary assignment of gender at birth based on an inspection of their genitals."

Despite difficulties in obtaining a birth certificate, a health card for the baby with the sex listed as "U" has been issued, with the coalition saying it arrived one day "without explanation." An image of the card shared by the parent includes the "U" designation and the child's name; it says the child was born in November and the card was issued in April.

Health cards entitle Canadians to use of public health care services and need to be shown each time a medical service is used. Canada has a universal health-care system paid for by taxes, and the cards themselves are the responsibility of the individual Canadian provinces.

The Gender Free I.D. Coalition believes that the "U" stands for "unspecified or unknown" and that Searyl is the first child to be registered in such a way without sex or gender being specified. British Columbia's Ministry of Health did not respond to requests for comment.

The desire to omit a designated gender on the card was partly motivated through Doty's personal experiences.

"When I was born, doctors looked at my genitals and made assumptions about who I would be, and those assignments followed me and followed my identification throughout my life," Doty told CBC.
"Those assumptions were incorrect, and I ended up having to do a lot of adjustments since then."

Separately, Doty is one of eight complainants in a case being heard by British Columbia's Human Rights Tribunal, according to the Gender Free I.D. Coalition. The complainants are seeking to have gender designation removed from all new birth certificates.

Initially, Doty was unable to receive a medical number for the baby. The child has also been denied a birth certificate.

Doty's lawyer, barbara findlay (who does not use capital letters to spell her name), told CBC that birth certificates in British Columbia use only male or female designations. findlay did not respond to CNN's requests for comment.

Doty has applied for judicial review of the decision denying Searyl a birth certificate, supported by the Gender Free I.D. Coalition.

The parent will argue that "requiring a gender marker" violates the baby's rights "as a Canadian citizen to life, liberty and security of the person."

"I want my kid to have all of the space to be the most whole and complete person that they can be," Doty told CBC.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

Edited by ChiBoyinLA on 07-05-17 04:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9634
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-17 04:31 PM - Post#1701739    

In response to ChiBoyinLA

Alrighty, then...
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 36582
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-17 04:32 PM - Post#1701740    

In response to ChiBoyinLA

-PR

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-17 04:34 PM - Post#1701742    

In response to PuckRogue

U = Undermining Logic

What a train wreck. Good thing is that this kid won't be affected, at all, but all this bullshit thrust upon it by it's parents...

-PR

Jax
Total Posts: 12787
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-17 04:54 PM - Post#1701743    

In response to PuckRogue

I'd like to know the reason behind the lawyer not capitalizing get name.
This turn toward an androgynous society is baffling. Penis=male, vagina=female. It's indisputable, even if the person "identifies" as the opposite sex, until the person undergoes gender reassignment.

foolish
superstar
Total Posts: 2786
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-17 05:56 PM - Post#1701745    

In response to Jax

I sort of understand the gender debate..... I don't buy in, but I know a few folks who clearly got the wrong bits'n'pieces at both....

....but "sex" is absolute. Thats a physical determination. Give me a baby with both organs or neither and we can have a debate.... but....

...these people are fucking nuts. How in the fuck does this unfortunately named "child" go about getting their documents re0issued with a new gender/sex when they grow up? I mean they won't have medical records to show gender re-assignment...

I really want to be an "ally" for all of the LBGTXAADF folks I know, cuz they get the shaft in a lot of horrible ways, but fuck their "leadership" make it tough sometimes....

Twist 'n Belak
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6331
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-17 10:31 PM - Post#1701753    

In response to foolish

Surely it's not the first. What about the rare hermaphrodites?
formerly Belak_2 aka Bleka...

DOWN GOES BRASHEAR!

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-06-17 04:26 PM - Post#1701788    

In response to Twist 'n Belak

Is that a real thing? I mean like both sets functioning? I feel like I've heard of babies with both physical constructs, but I feel like in all cases that only one is functional...

Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10144
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

07-10-17 03:40 PM - Post#1701887    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
I sort of understand the gender debate..... I don't buy in, but I know a few folks who clearly got the wrong bits'n'pieces at both....

....but "sex" is absolute. Thats a physical determination. Give me a baby with both organs or neither and we can have a debate.... but....

...these people are fucking nuts. How in the fuck does this unfortunately named "child" go about getting their documents re0issued with a new gender/sex when they grow up? I mean they won't have medical records to show gender re-assignment...

I really want to be an "ally" for all of the LBGTXAADF folks I know, cuz they get the shaft in a lot of horrible ways, but fuck their "leadership" make it tough sometimes....

You want to rethink that notion of LGBTers "get(ting) the shaft"?

On a serious note, can you provide an example of just one horrible way?

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-10-17 10:20 PM - Post#1701896    

In response to Pete

Rethink that position? Absolutely not.

Examples? I could give you hundreds. I have a ton of gay friends, and not a one doesn't have at least a few stories of beatings in high school, of parents kicking them out of Jones, of society generally shunning them. You ever end up in a meeting and have someone lean over and say "see him over there? He's STRAIGHT!!". You must have some gay aquaintances.... ask them about what they've endured.

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-11-17 12:13 AM - Post#1701897    

In response to foolish

I experienced all of those things in HS and I'm not gay in the slightest bit.

-PR

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 28832
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-11-17 01:07 AM - Post#1701899    

In response to PuckRogue

Canada doesn't have the best record of dealing with infant gender re-assignment. Fucking embarrassing/horrible IMO
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-11-17 08:15 AM - Post#1701901    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:

-PR

Link?

bean
superstar
Total Posts: 4124
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-11-17 12:07 PM - Post#1701906    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:

-PR

Did they think you were gay or were you just being a dick and needed an swift ass kicking?
Having Mexicans around totally kicks f-ing ass. - Cartman

Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10144
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

07-11-17 01:43 PM - Post#1701908    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:

Examples? I could give you hundreds. I have a ton of gay friends, and not a one doesn't have at least a few stories of beatings in high school, of parents kicking them out of Jones, of society generally shunning them. You ever end up in a meeting and have someone lean over and say "see him over there? He's STRAIGHT!!". You must have some gay aquaintances.... ask them about what they've endured.

On the first part, getting the shaft, I think you missed my poor attempt at butt humor.

And the latter, those are social and cultural issues. I don't want the Federal government in any of anyone's business as it relates to sexual orientation, etc. By the way, I have an older brother who is gay. Huge psychological issues due to social awkwardness and general fear, but no beatings, bullying or whispering. Why? Because he kept his sexual orientation to himself and never demonstrated any effeminate traits.

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-11-17 02:18 PM - Post#1701909    

In response to Pete

• Pete Said:
  • foolish Said:

On the first part, getting the shaft, I think you missed my poor attempt at butt humor.

And the latter, those are social and cultural issues. I don't want the Federal government in any of anyone's business as it relates to sexual orientation, etc. By the way, I have an older brother who is gay. Huge psychological issues due to social awkwardness and general fear, but no beatings, bullying or whispering. Why? Because he kept his sexual orientation to himself and never demonstrated any effeminate traits.

Good joke, and yes, definitely missed it.

I agree completely that the gov should butt out, hence my objection to these "religious freedom" laws - they're just legislated discrimination. Let people marry who they want as long as they're of age and consenting. Why should the gov decide who someone can marry? who a sick person can have at their bedside? its all bullshit. Work on the deficit.

Re your brother - having to hide one of the biggest parts of ones self b/c of the social repercussions is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. Its pretty hard to say that the gays aren't hard-done-by and at the same time say they just need to pretend to be something they aren't to get by.

Do you think you would have had the same successes in life if you shared your brother's orientation? Same opportunities? Happiness?

Edited by foolish on 07-11-17 02:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Hannibal
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9837
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-14-17 01:21 PM - Post#1701978    

In response to foolish

I don't equate gender to gender identify. To me, it's no different than trying to ignore the color of one's skin when describing that individual. You are being labeled by identifiable characteristics that allow you to ultimately be identified. If you have a penis - you are male. Simple as that. If you want to identify as a female - that is your choice when introducing yourself or conducting your business. However, I also think that is the right of that child to do so when they are capable of making such a decision. Not for their mom (or whatever we are calling her) says.

In my opinion, you are ultimately causing this child more harm than you are in giving him/her a label.
Barney who?

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-14-17 01:55 PM - Post#1701979    

In response to bean

• bean Said:
  • PuckRogue Said:

-PR

Did they think you were gay or were you just being a dick and needed an swift ass kicking?

Always just assholes or gang members looking for trouble. It may have occasionally been because I am mostly white. It's a privledge.

-PR

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 13287
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-14-17 03:15 PM - Post#1701989    

In response to PuckRogue

Henrik and Daniel Sedin are going to be like Bob Probert in another 20 years at this rate.

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-14-17 05:19 PM - Post#1701993    

In response to Hannibal

• Hannibal Said:
I don't equate gender to gender identify. To me, it's no different than trying to ignore the color of one's skin when describing that individual. You are being labeled by identifiable characteristics that allow you to ultimately be identified. If you have a penis - you are male. Simple as that. If you want to identify as a female - that is your choice when introducing yourself or conducting your business. However, I also think that is the right of that child to do so when they are capable of making such a decision. Not for their mom (or whatever we are calling her) says.

In my opinion, you are ultimately causing this child more harm than you are in giving him/her a label.

I think the gist of the "new thinking" is that its not gender and gender identity, but sex and gender. Your "sex" is based on your genitals (i.e. gender in the old paradigm), while your gender is what you feel.

Its like religion and science. One is black and white and follows clear rules (science) the other is more mutable and less tangible (religion).

I've really enjoyed correcting all the SJWs I work with when they ask me if we know the gender of our babies.... I correct them with, the SEXES are boy and a girl.......

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
75 Online Now
1 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 74 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Voter Fraud" with 40 replies.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.328 seconds.   Total Queries: 346   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 07:40 PM