hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
Username Post: Biggest SpotPickers of all time        (Topic#535485)
Sal
captain
Total Posts: 984
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-19-12 11:51 PM - Post#1416711    

All this Bieksa talk got me wondering who would you guys rank as the biggest spotpickers of all time???

444orr
veteran
Total Posts: 427
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 08:02 AM - Post#1416761    

In response to Sal

I know he didnt fight much but Chris Chelios was a big spotpicker.

johnz
legend
Total Posts: 13620
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 08:10 AM - Post#1416765    

In response to 444orr

^ The guy who fought Probert, went after to tie up Brown with no linesmen or refs.....Id have to disagree on Chelios!
"Pitching is really just an internal struggle between pitcher and his stuff. If my curve ball is breaking and I'm throwing it where I want, the batter is irrelevant." - Steve Stone

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-20-12 08:22 AM - Post#1416766    

In response to johnz

Probert dragged him into that John, and he didn't even get a major, come on now.

I won't argue spotpicker or not (you could probably say he was worth more on the ice, and not that big of a guy, and CLEARLY not a fighter), but don't pretend like Chelios was raring to go with Bobby there and actually exchanged any punches. He held on for dear life.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18737
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 08:30 AM - Post#1416771    

In response to Kramer

Was there really any spot pickers back in the 70's and 80's, even the early 90's? Seems like the rules of the new NHL and not holding guys accountable formed spot pickers. I know Chelios name will come up, but was he really one? The guy was never a fighter, not a heavy, buts still fought Probert, Twist.

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-20-12 08:37 AM - Post#1416774    

In response to Matt Dillon

"fought" Probie, lol
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 08:49 AM - Post#1416782    

In response to Kramer

He at least dropped his gloves, he could have done a lot worse. Honestly did they even get majors?

Edited by Matt Dillon on 03-20-12 08:50 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

444orr
veteran
Total Posts: 427
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 09:27 AM - Post#1416799    

Chelios loved to hit Probert when there was someone in between them...He would never drop the gloves with a real fighter...I stated that Chelly didnt fight much so i would be clear...His attack on Larry Murphy in the 92 playoff clincher showed what kind of guy he was...

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-20-12 09:43 AM - Post#1416807    

Nope, no majors - but again, Probert totally dragged him from the pile, Chelios had no choice but to drop the gloves to vice grip Probie's jersey - what was he supposed to do? Those were the days of the Hawks "gang attacking Probie", but this time, the Wings paired off allowing Probert a shot at one of the all time chicken shits of that particular rivalry. Graham, Keith Brown, Konroyd, Jocelyn Lemieux, they all did the same thing when a scuffle would start, by using the 'pack of wolves' mentality - which is fine - but this time Probert had the opportunity to go one on one with one of those "brave souls" but Chelios wouldn't go for it, which is no shock, based on how they played him in them days. Remember, Probie would be on a line with Jimmy Carson, and the like, so he didn't have the support when the Hawks had their checking line out there. But that game, which I believe was PS, was a bit different.

The only guy about as bad from them days was Dave Lowry of the Blues. Tough guy in pack form, but when Probie got you alone, watch what they would do. Again, I almost understand it, it was Probie, but come on... You act all tough when your pals are around, then slink into the corner and shit yourself once you found yourself alone with the man. Very little respect for players of that ilk in them days. I still can't get over Stevens & Butcher from that 91 playoff series. I like Stevens, but he showed some true colors in that series. Bassen, Ron Wilson, Rich Sutter, the Cavallini boys... all cut from the same cloth. Probert fought Stevens a year or two later, and Butcher during the 9394 PS. He couldn't wait to get a shot at both after that series where both did nothing but stick him, hit him late, and goad him every shot they had... everything but the drop the mitts.

Now, don't get me wrong, there were stand up players as well. Grimson, Manson, Steve Thomas, Peluso, Kimble, Quintal, etc. They just couldn't match Probie, so the "wolfpack" mentaltiy was used.

BTW - 90-91 fighting majors leaders:

1.Chicago
2.Detroit
3.St Louis

Good times...

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10357
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 09:50 AM - Post#1416810    

What would make this thread more interesting is if we took out all of the star players who were obviously spot-pickers (Corson, Bieksa, Pronger, Chelios etc...) and concentrate on those whose job it was to fight:

First name that comes to mind is Ben Eager...
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 09:55 AM - Post#1416811    

In response to 444orr

• 444orr Said:
Chelios loved to hit Probert when there was someone in between them...He would never drop the gloves with a real fighter...I stated that Chelly didnt fight much so i would be clear...His attack on Larry Murphy in the 92 playoff clincher showed what kind of guy he was...

He fought Twist, plus the guy wasn't a fighter, how can you be a spot picker when you aren't a fighter?

Eager is a good name.

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 29400
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 10:18 AM - Post#1416819    

In response to johnz

• johnz Said:
^ The guy who fought Probert, went after to tie up Brown with no linesmen or refs.....Id have to disagree on Chelios!

Stop it. Please.

johnz
legend
Total Posts: 13620
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 10:26 AM - Post#1416825    

In response to Kramer

• Kramer Said:
Nope, no majors - but again, Probert totally dragged him from the pile, Chelios had no choice but to drop the gloves to vice grip Probie's jersey - what was he supposed to do? Those were the days of the Hawks "gang attacking Probie", but this time, the Wings paired off allowing Probert a shot at one of the all time chicken shits of that particular rivalry. Graham, Keith Brown, Konroyd, Jocelyn Lemieux, they all did the same thing when a scuffle would start, by using the 'pack of wolves' mentality - which is fine - but this time Probert had the opportunity to go one on one with one of those "brave souls" but Chelios wouldn't go for it, which is no shock, based on how they played him in them days. Remember, Probie would be on a line with Jimmy Carson, and the like, so he didn't have the support when the Hawks had their checking line out there. But that game, which I believe was PS, was a bit different.

The only guy about as bad from them days was Dave Lowry of the Blues. Tough guy in pack form, but when Probie got you alone, watch what they would do. Again, I almost understand it, it was Probie, but come on... You act all tough when your pals are around, then slink into the corner and shit yourself once you found yourself alone with the man. Very little respect for players of that ilk in them days. I still can't get over Stevens & Butcher from that 91 playoff series. I like Stevens, but he showed some true colors in that series. Bassen, Ron Wilson, Rich Sutter, the Cavallini boys... all cut from the same cloth. Probert fought Stevens a year or two later, and Butcher during the 9394 PS. He couldn't wait to get a shot at both after that series where both did nothing but stick him, hit him late, and goad him every shot they had... everything but the drop the mitts.

Now, don't get me wrong, there were stand up players as well. Grimson, Manson, Steve Thomas, Peluso, Kimble, Quintal, etc. They just couldn't match Probie, so the "wolfpack" mentaltiy was used.

BTW - 90-91 fighting majors leaders:

1.Chicago
2.Detroit
3.St Louis

Good times...

You're talking about Chelios as if hes a fighter! LOL...My point is he cant possibly be a spot picker if he gets involved with the toughest guys. And yes, it was a pre-season game...maybe the same game Grimson fought Probert along the glass...
"Pitching is really just an internal struggle between pitcher and his stuff. If my curve ball is breaking and I'm throwing it where I want, the batter is irrelevant." - Steve Stone

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 10:32 AM - Post#1416827    

In response to johnz

I'm not gonna say Chelios was a spot-picker. IMO, he was an agitator and maybe the most underappreciated defenseman of his time. He was also a very poor fighter. I don't ever recall him beating up anybody, even a non-fighter. I never figured him to be a skilled enough practitioner in the fighting arts to be labelled a spot-picker.

Spotpicker probably isn't the correct nomenculature, then. Maybe asshole?

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-20-12 11:15 AM - Post#1416842    

• Matt Dillon Said:
He fought Twist, plus the guy wasn't a fighter, how can you be a spot picker when you aren't a fighter?

And I am fine/can agree with that, but let's not make it out like Chelios "fought" Probert when in reality he did everything in his power to just get the linesmen in there.

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-20-12 11:20 AM - Post#1416845    

In response to johnz

• johnz Said:
You're talking about Chelios as if hes a fighter! LOL...My point is he cant possibly be a spot picker if he gets involved with the toughest guys. And yes, it was a pre-season game...maybe the same game Grimson fought Probert along the glass...

Umm, no I'm not. That's the last thing I would say about Chelios.

The only reason he's NOT a spotpicker, is because he was NOT a fighter. Not because he got dragged from a pile then held on for dear life - he didn't even show bravery there. You're trying to give him credit for something he didn't do... Fight Probert.

Giz
legend
Total Posts: 10108
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 11:46 AM - Post#1416859    

In response to Kramer

Dale Hunter. Even with some of the big name guys on his card, he's got to rank up there somewhere.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 11:55 AM - Post#1416861    

In response to Giz

• Giz Said:
Dale Hunter. Even with some of the big name guys on his card, he's got to rank up there somewhere.

Good call. Hunter was dirty, shameless and one of the worst bullies in the game. I would bet that any heavyweights on his card weren't by his choice.

IMO, just getting a couple of name guys on your card doesn't exclude you from being labelled a spot-picker. In some of those cases, those guys held on for dear life, or they were jumped and had no choice (e.g. Bieksa by Eager). In other cases, they came into the league blazing and trying to make a name for themselves, but were for the most part huge spot-pickers in the prime of their careers. I don't think it's a good practice to judge one's career by his exceptions.

InVain316
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5066
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 12:03 PM - Post#1416866    

In response to Canucko29

Bingo. Great post, canucko

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-20-12 01:25 PM - Post#1416892    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
  • Giz Said:

Good call. Hunter was dirty, shameless and one of the worst bullies in the game. I would bet that any heavyweights on his card weren't by his choice.

IMO, just getting a couple of name guys on your card doesn't exclude you from being labelled a spot-picker. In some of those cases, those guys held on for dear life, or they were jumped and had no choice (e.g. Bieksa by Eager). In other cases, they came into the league blazing and trying to make a name for themselves, but were for the most part huge spot-pickers in the prime of their careers. I don't think it's a good practice to judge one's career by his exceptions.

True, but Chelios wasn't a fighter. His fights were a bonus, whats next Mario being a spot picker?

Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
59 Online Now
9 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 50 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Minneapolis Cops detain man" with 65 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.371 seconds.   Total Queries: 345   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 04:15 PM