hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Round 1, Fight 1 - Darren McCarty vs Dave Hunter        (Topic#535828)
Peatycap
Total Posts: 28443
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:17 PM - Post#1426519    

Let's go ahead and get this tournament started up. I won't be around to pop this up in the morning. So we can start it tonight.

Remember, the more detail you give the better. But if you only want to give a decision, that's cool too. We need 10 decisions to move onto the next fight, which starts the following day.

Round 1, Fight 1 - Darren McCarty vs Dave Hunter

Darren McCarty -vs-

Dave Hunter

Edited by Peatycap on 04-13-12 12:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18802
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:27 PM - Post#1426523    

In response to Peatycap

We doing this on one fight or in a series?

Anywats, McCarty is way too much for Dave Hunter. McCarty is his prime was very strong on his skates and good with the rights. Hunter wasn't a fighter and more of checking line player. Only fights I can remember him was him bailing against Nystrom and Dana Murzyn giving it to him pretty good. In fact has ever been discussed on here?

Dave Hunter vs Dana Murzyn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ8w4fLOfsc&feature =player_embedded

Easy win McCarty either way

Edited by Matt Dillon on 04-10-12 07:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

John_P
superstar
Total Posts: 3647
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:35 PM - Post#1426526    

In response to Matt Dillon

Not sure what tourney this is, but McCarty wins a 10 fight series 6-1-3.
"And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has, in showing that religion and gov't will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together." James Madison

Peatycap
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:38 PM - Post#1426528    

In response to John_P

Good question Dillon. We all know that just about anyone can get lucky in a one fight match up. So I think 10 makes sense. Still, everyone is open to calling it how they see it.

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7334
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:40 PM - Post#1426530    

In response to Peatycap

I got McCarty winning this one as well.
"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:42 PM - Post#1426532    

In response to Peatycap

Ok, can I ask how you came up with the matchups?

I love discussing these, but seems like the fights are so unbalanced. I mean you have a guy like McCarty against Dave Hunter in the first round, but in other matchups you have Holmgren battling Gillies first round, which is more like a 2nd or even 3rd round matchup.

In a 10 fight series between these two, I really don't see Hunter winning a fight. He was a good team guy, but wasn't a fighter. McCarty was a bruiser and 10x better. There will be a few shit fights with Hunter tackling McCarty.

Ill say McCarty 7-0-3

JayBone
all star
Total Posts: 1600
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:45 PM - Post#1426534    

McCarty easily. He was pretty impressive early in his career. Before the drugs and alcohol started to take their toll.

Peatycap
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:48 PM - Post#1426536    

• Matt Dillon Said:
Ok, can I ask how you came up with the matchups?

Fair question. I explained this in the stickied thread but will do so again here.

I found a list of the top 100 career playoff PIMs guys. I worked that list down to 64 by dropping non-fighters or scrubs. Hunter is pretty bottom of the barrel, I admit. But the fights will get better in the second round. And, as you mentioned, there's some good ones in the first round. That's because I randomized the fights --- or I let the system randomize it for me. That makes for some odd match up. But it's also fair. And I'm not sure how it's going to play out; but it might make for some different outcomes as we near the end --- we'll see.

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:53 PM - Post#1426539    

In response to Peatycap

Ok, I understand. I just figured Gillies would be a higher seen and would get a better matchup then McCarty.

Good enough, Thanks for putting this together. Not trying to be a dick, just curious.

Blues 34
superstar
Total Posts: 2637
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:57 PM - Post#1426540    

McCarty takes this one 6-2-2
Take the shortest route to the puck and arive there in Ill Humor

Peatycap
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 07:59 PM - Post#1426541    

In response to Blues 34

BTW... I'll go 9-0-1 on this.

Hunter wasn't a very good fighter...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ8w4fLOfsc&feature =player_embedded

playoffbeard
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9310
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-10-12 08:06 PM - Post#1426546    

In response to Peatycap

McCarty, easily.
Fuck you. I hope you get cancer - Matt Dillon

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16711
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 08:09 PM - Post#1426547    

In response to Peatycap

McCarty draws one of the easier Hunters in the field in Dave. Dave was a pretty strong guy for his size but he was never much of a fighter. He'd go if he had to but basically just got his fights overwith or took a beating so somebody else didn't have to or because he pissed someone off or to stick up for a teammate but he had little in the way of fighting skills and would pretty much just wrestle. In a 10 fight series Hunter would be able to salvage a few shit fight draws for himself by wrapping Darren up and containing him effectively but that's about the best he could do. McCarty would light him up a few times and win em all by various margins depending on the quality of the fights.

McCarty was a pretty intense playoff competitor and would be taking no prisoners which would be trouble for Hunter. McCarty tended to struggle a little bit with good tactical fighters who could tie him up effectively but he tended to light up guys a bit smaller than he quite frequently, usually in pretty good, wide open fights. I think this one would go down similar to McCarty's series with Bryce Salvador. Hunter would probably hold his own by wrestling and tying up effectively to save himself from getting beaten up badly and he might get the odd draw but it's unlikely he'd do enough punching to win outright at all. 10 fight series, I'd say 7-0-3 McCarty, one fight, prime vs. prime showdown McCarty gives it to hunter pretty good in a scrap that resembles what McCarty did to Scotty Walker in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfYnxJXM2Mg

Best case scenario it'd look like Dave Hunter vs. Scott Mellenby where Hunter basically just hangs on and hangs in, takes a couple of punches and gets out of there without incurring any damage but again looking to just get it overwith rather than get a victory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nockoOCl8PQ

Either way & Everyway, Easy Win McCarty.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16711
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 08:14 PM - Post#1426550    

In response to JayBone

• JayBone Said:
McCarty easily. He was pretty impressive early in his career. Before the drugs and alcohol started to take their toll.

Or was it getting off of drugs and alcohol that at times killed his drive and slowed him down a bit? Either way you're right. He was awesome out of the gate, became more average as his career wore on but he remained a tough as nails gamer for the duration.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 29639
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 08:57 PM - Post#1426572    

In response to Drunk_24-7

McCarty

steeles21
Total Posts: 18866
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-10-12 09:28 PM - Post#1426590    

In response to Posux

Damn, I thought McCarty was matched up against Tim Hunter. 0-1 in my pool. I don't even know who Dave Hunter is.

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12374
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 09:35 PM - Post#1426594    

In response to steeles21

McCarty

JayBone
all star
Total Posts: 1600
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 09:50 PM - Post#1426607    

In response to Drunk_24-7

• Drunk_24-7 Said:
  • JayBone Said:

Or was it getting off of drugs and alcohol that at times killed his drive and slowed him down a bit? Either way you're right. He was awesome out of the gate, became more average as his career wore on but he remained a tough as nails gamer for the duration.

To be honest, from what I know now, once he started on the drugs he never got off them, and im not talking about PED's either. Very sad, he would still own this town.

Sal
captain
Total Posts: 995
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-10-12 09:59 PM - Post#1426611    

In response to JayBone

Mccarty

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9612
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-11-12 12:52 AM - Post#1426639    

In response to Sal

Tim Hunter would win the serie if young McCarty and young Hunter meet each other on the ice.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
40 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 40 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Palin Brawl" with 42 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.326 seconds.   Total Queries: 349   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 01:41 AM