hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Round 1, Fight 3 - Willi Plett vs Joey Kocur        (Topic#535859)
Peatycap
Total Posts: 28428
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 05:52 PM - Post#1427505    

Let's get started...

Round 1, Fight 3 - Willi Plett vs Joey Kocur

Willi Plett -vs-

Joey Kocur

Edited by Peatycap on 04-15-12 12:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Baldridge
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8090
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 05:57 PM - Post#1427507    

In response to Peatycap

Kocur...
I don't hate you because you're fat....You're fat because i hate you.......

daveh8
superstar
Total Posts: 4017
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 06:01 PM - Post#1427510    

In response to Baldridge

boy...a prime willi plett puts up a hell of a fight...tall, rangy, decent punching power.....i think kocur takes the series but there would be some pain for both fighters....some pain indeed....

playoffbeard
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9293
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-12-12 06:37 PM - Post#1427522    

In response to daveh8

Easily the best match up of the 3 so far, but I'm going with Kocur.
Fuck you. I hope you get cancer - Matt Dillon

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12361
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 07:19 PM - Post#1427530    

In response to playoffbeard

Ditto

Sal
captain
Total Posts: 995
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 07:28 PM - Post#1427534    

In response to cashman rulz

Joey K

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7329
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 07:30 PM - Post#1427535    

In response to Sal

Nice matchup. Like both guys.

Kocur with his power wins
"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18799
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 07:56 PM - Post#1427548    

In response to mtnbiker

Great matchup.. The power of Kocur against the strength of Plett. These two actually did fight in 85.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKPZjafOkE

It was a shit fight and I see most going that way.

Kocur 3-2-5

steeles21
Total Posts: 18859
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-12-12 07:59 PM - Post#1427552    

In response to Matt Dillon

I think the mathcup would be pretty close as well, but when Kocur's wins would be more convincing. Win Joey.
http://www.qualcomm.com/

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8868
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 08:14 PM - Post#1427568    

In response to steeles21

Kocur.
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

rancidis
legend
Total Posts: 10022
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 08:17 PM - Post#1427569    

In response to taz

kocur...
favorite fighter: jay rosehill
www.dailycombat.com

DaveRichterfan
all star
Total Posts: 2090
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 09:25 PM - Post#1427604    

In response to rancidis

As much as I love Willi, you have to go with Kocur.
Where's the money Lebowski?

FIGHTfan0506
captain
Total Posts: 904
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-12-12 09:36 PM - Post#1427608    

In response to DaveRichterfan

kocur, awesome match up though.

Blues 34
superstar
Total Posts: 2637
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 12:05 AM - Post#1427636    

In response to FIGHTfan0506

Best matchup so far. I go Kocur 4-2-4
Take the shortest route to the puck and arive there in Ill Humor

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9612
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 01:19 AM - Post#1427645    

In response to taz

Matchup works well for Plett and he wins this in long serie against Kocur IMO.
His defensive ability and stamina and i think he wins on the points a KOcur mostly.
Kocur is better fighter overall but matchups are matchups, this is tough for Kocur.

Edited by juha82 on 04-13-12 01:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16701
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 01:35 AM - Post#1427650    

In response to steeles21

• steeles21 Said:
I think the mathcup would be pretty close as well, but when Kocur's wins would be more convincing. Win Joey.

^This.

This is a good matchup for sure. Way, way, way closer than the first two but I think it would follow the same formula with Plett looking to stay in tight and win a wrestling match probably on some punches early as Kocur has to pass his reach to get inside and go to work. If Plett could score some decent shots early from the outside and then use his strength to prevent Kocur from getting free, he might be able to hold onto a couple of decisions and contain Joey to a bunch of fairly shitty fight draws. If it's a slugfest, I don't like Willi's chances at all.

Tall and lanky, similar in build to Jimmy Kyte, I think Willi might find himself ripe for the pickens for the same type of treatment Fraser gave him if he looked to open up with Kocur. On the flip side though, Plett was also similar in build to Craig Coxe except much stronger and Coxey managed to catch Kocur and drop him.

I think Plett was strong enough on his skates, tough enough in terms of chin and certianly strong enough himself to really stand a solid chance of beating Kocur if he had balls enough to stand in the pocket and look to counter punch him but while he could score a knockdown/TKO win by doing that, his chances would probably be 35 to 40% at best. In the other 60% of those style of fights, he likely get battered, bloody, beaten and perhaps broken. I don't know that Plett would even look to go down that road against Kocur. Not to say he's scared, he fought wars with Behn Wilson and Probert, the guy was tough and fearless but he's going to fight a style that gives him his best chance of coming out with the best result and I think he'd realize his best bet is to try and get off early from the outside and then contain Kocur at all cost as he moves inside which would lead to a lot of fights similar to the lone fight they did have which didn't really amount to much.

If McGill and Raglan can drop Joey, obviously Plett could do it too but we gotta think what's most likely to happen. Plett liked to wrestle and in the one fight they had he didn't want any part of letting Joey get loose. He threw a couple quick ones as Joey got inside his reach and looked to start his own offense Willi just tied him up and did not want any distance to develop to allows for an exchange from Joey's range. Very few guys wanted to have that exchange. Kocur was extremely accurate with his punches too, especially considering how much he telegraphed them. The one bit of vulnerbility he had is that if he did miss a bomb or have what should of been a KO shot land in a glancing manner, because the shots are so telegrapthed the follow through would leave him wide open for the counter punch. That's how Raglan, Coxe and McGill all got him. A counter punch of a bomb Joey missed on and got caught out of position. Guys with quick hand speed like Coxe and Chris Murray gave Joey a bit of trouble because they had the hand speed to counter punch him quickly and the chin and brass balls to stay in the pocket against Joey's lethal right in order to find those counter punching opportunities. Not many guys did because if Joey landed a shot and he was very accurate in doing so, you'd be too stunned to counter him and if he missed and was out of position but you were ducking back or focused on tying him up, that 1 second window would shut and by second number two Kocur would be loading up another bomb.

It's those willing to stay in the pocket with quick hands that had the best chance to get Kocur if they were lucky enough to have him miss. The problem is that he didn't miss too often. Sure McGill caught him but Kocur got the better of their series. I think if Plett tried to fight him open while he'd probably score a TKO or two, or even three, he'd get knocked out and fucked up big time probably at least 5 or 6 times himself with that approach. I think if Plett tried to open up and scrap with him, Kocur would find his range on the inside and just outslug him with bigger, more damaging punches and give him the Link Gaetz treatment if not the Jimmy Kyte treatment more often than not. Great matchup and it would really be a tactical battle where the better the fight the more likely Joey is most often the winner but his all or nothing style would leave him vulnerable to the counter TKO against a guy with some reach and size on him with pretty solid power who could take a punch. Dangerous fight for either guy wide open that Kocur wins more often than not. Because of those Odds though I think if they really had a series, much like the fight they did have Plett would look to play it a bit on the safe side and try to snag the odds point victory while quite content to settle for a draw or give up a slight points loss in fights that would be anywhere from shit fight draws to decent sort of average edge type fights going either way. 10 fight series, I'd go 4-2-4 Kocur. One fight showdown, Kocur drops him. Win Kocur. Great Matchup.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

juha82
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 01:42 AM - Post#1427655    

In response to Drunk_24-7

We never seen slugfest by Plett though or not any big slugfest as he kept the things closely always.
Actually Kocur and Plett fought once and the fight was a DRAW.
Heres a clip;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKPZjafOkE

Drunk_24-7
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 01:51 AM - Post#1427656    

In response to juha82

Plett fought fairly open earlier in his career. They list a fight over on the Yellow site he had with Gillies and describe it as a toe to toe slugfest. I've never seen it, only their shit fight when Gillies was with Buffalo. He had some pretty good ones with Wilson and Hoyda but your right he always had a bit of the wrestler in him and seemed to take a more cautious approach after Fraser tagged him. Solid technician like McSorley who got the better of his series with Kocur but I don't think Willi's offense was as good as Marty's. Defense was probably just as good but if all you're doing is holding on for dear life while Kocur works free, that'd make for some shitty fights I'd score in favor of Kocur for at least pushing the pace and trying to fight. If he opens up he has the tools to upset Kocur but Kocur has the power and accuracy to beat him down or lay him out. I think because the latter is the more likely to happen that we'd see less than spectacular fights similar to the one they actually had more often than not.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Edited by Drunk_24-7 on 04-13-12 02:02 AM. Reason for edit: Thought Juha did something stupid but it was an honest mistake and side effect of the Mental Bully Protection Program

juha82
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 01:56 AM - Post#1427657    

In response to Drunk_24-7

• Drunk_24-7 Said:
  • juha82 Said:
We never seen slugfest by Plett though or not any big slugfest as he kept the things closely always.
Actually Kocur and Plett fought once and the fight was a DRAW.
Heres a clip;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKPZjafOkE

Did they?

6 Hours Earlier:

• Matt Dillon Said:
Great matchup.. The power of Kocur against the strength of Plett. These two actually did fight in 85.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKPZjafOkE

It was a shit fight and I see most going that way.

Kocur 3-2-5

I didnt see that post by him bec i have put him to ignore list.

Drunk_24-7
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-12 02:00 AM - Post#1427658    

In response to juha82

Oh, right on. The ol' Ignore. Sorry bud, didn't mean to show you up.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
72 Online Now
2 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 69 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Canadian soldier shot at war memorial in ottawa" with 39 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.338 seconds.   Total Queries: 352   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 05:06 PM