hockey-fights.com
 Page 5 of 20 « First<5678>» Last
Username Post: NHL Top 20 All-time thread        (Topic#303764)
Badduke14
superstar
Total Posts: 4786
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 07:42 PM - Post#305410    

In response to Posux

Probert
Brown

This is all I have done for the moment.
David Jesiolowski: Likeable balding WHL gonk. (Napes)

JruGordon
superstar
Total Posts: 3942
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 07:46 PM - Post#305419    

In response to Posux

everyone go back to page 8, there is a clarification of my post in there...

chaser
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8410
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 07:49 PM - Post#305421    

In response to Posux

JRU, thanks.

Posux, let's try to stick to the topic. It's pointless to argue in such a great thread. Thank you.

Duke, come on.. I wanna see the list as well!
THE ORIGINAL CHASER!!

Badduke14
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 07:53 PM - Post#305425    

In response to chaser

get rid of that bird, & maybe I can concentrate.

chaser
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8410
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 07:54 PM - Post#305428    

In response to Badduke14

LOL!
THE ORIGINAL CHASER!!

Badduke14
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 08:00 PM - Post#305433    

In response to chaser

Fotiu never fought Gillies or Bridgman correct?
Nystrom never fought Wilson or Holmgren correct?

JruGordon
superstar
Total Posts: 3942
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 08:05 PM - Post#305437    

In response to Badduke14

badduke14, you are correct, Fotiu never fought Gillies nor Bridgman...

Nystrom fought Dunc Wilson, but i know that's not who you mean.. that's the only Wilson he fought, and he never fought Holmgren

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 31533
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-11-04 08:36 PM - Post#305459    

In response to JruGordon

now, back to the topic of this thread ...

dunlopyousuck
all star
Total Posts: 1136
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 09:51 AM - Post#305760    

In response to Posux

Quote:

Grimson and Langdon fought twice in the 96-97 season and twice in the 97-98 season.

Yep . . .

Playfair27
captain
Total Posts: 654
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 02:05 PM - Post#306068    

In response to dunlopyousuck

The following is my top 20. I'm sorry that from #12 - #20 I couldn't go into more detail. I just started to get tired of typing.

1) Bob Probert
What can be said about him, he's the best hockey's ever seen. He had great stamina, a long reach and an above average punch, great accuracy in his punches and a solid chin. He used the losing the jersey tactic to his advantage but with Probert it would be hard to argue the results of his fights would be too different.
The list of players he's beaten is a long who's who of hockey's tough guys in the last 20 years of the game, those players would include a very tough young Scott Stevens, Bob McGill, Gary Nylund, Todd Ewen, Brian Curran, Wendel Clark, Daryl Stanley, Mark Tinordi, & Darrin Kimble. He's beaten young up coming heavies such as Tony Twist and Scott Parker. He's beaten aging Super Heavies Dave Semenko & Glen Cochrane and Prime Super Heavies such as Tim Hunter, Jay Miller, Marty McSorley, Dave Brown, Stu Grimson, Troy Crowder, Craig Berube, Tie Domi, Ken Baumgartner & Donald Brashear. No doubt He's the best ever.

2) Behn Wilson
He was as mean and as strong as they come, Had great punching power and one of the best upper cuts hockey's ever seen, great strength and a rock solid chin. He was hard to knock off his feet, and was absolutely relentless when he was pissed off...mean, mean, mean, at times he looked like he wanted to rip a players eyes out of their head. You would need one hand to count the number of loses he's had during his career. He's beaten a very tough Gary Howatt, Terry O'Reilly, Bob McGill and Chris Nilan. He's beaten Super Heavies such as Barry Beck and Dave Semenko. He put big time beatings on Willi Plett, Archie Henderson and administered possibly the worst beating anyone had ever given to Clark Gillies. His KO beating on John Hilworth is stuff legends are made of. Dropping him with a great right and then continuing to punch Hilworth while he was down and out.

3) Dave Brown
Big, mean and a lefty. Brown had the most lethal left hand hockey's ever seen not only did he have KO punching power but had precision accuracy in his punches. He had a great reach and used the skin tight left sleeve and baggy jersey tricks to his advantage at different parts of his career. He hardly ever squared off with his opponents & usually got the "jump" on them and only stopped punching when he felt he got his point across. His main weakness was a questionable chin and a style that left him open to a big punch also, he was a one dimensional fighter..toe to toe with the left and never used his right. His list of wins over solid heavies would include Gord Kluzak, Brian Curran, Dwight Schofield, a young Marty McSorley, Chris Nilan, Jay Wells, Scott Stevens, Mick Vukota, Gino Odjick and Randy McKay. Wins over aging Heavies includes Al Secord, Willi Plett and John Kordic. Young heavies such as Stu Grimson (busted his face), Darrin Kimble and Tie Domi. And some wins over Super Heavies Jim Kyte, Jay Miller (dropped him once), Shawn Cronin (dropped him once or twice), Ken Baumgartner (busted his face) and Jim McKenzie (dropped him).

4) Clark Gillies
Most likely the most feared hockey player ever. When ever his name is spoken the word feared is often used in the same sentence. He had KO punching power and usually fought only when he was enraged. He was solid on his skates, had good reach, great strength and a sturdy chin. The only knock on him was the fact that he had a long fuse. His wins over Solid Heavies include Terry O'Reilly, Dave Hoyda, Dave Williams & Ed Hospodar (dropped him and busted his face). His wins over Super Heavies include Dave Schultz, a young Al Secord, Stan Jonathan (dropped him) and arguable Behn Wilson (not sure if the Wilson punch at the end connected or not).

5) Bob Nystrom
A great fighter. Very fast hands and technically sound. He threw with either hand and was very good at tying up other fighters in an era when not many did which gave him a huge advantage. While he didn't have the hardest of punch he threw enough punches that kept his opponents off balance. He was a relentless fighter never giving up and had above average stamina. His wins over Solid Heavies include Mel Bridgman, Randy Holt, Tiger Williams, Ed Hospodar and Jay Wells and his wins over Super Heavies would include Harold Snepsts, Larry Playfair (busted his nose), John Wensink & Nick Fotiu.

6) Larry Playfair
Big and Strong. He had incredible reach and devastating right hand KO punch. The only knocks against him would be his long fuse and slow punch that would leave him open to punches, but when he nailed his opponents it usually stopped them in their tracks. His wins over Solid Heavies would include Ron Delorme, Tiger Williams, Terry O'Reilly, Gord Kluzak, Chris Nilan (one of the few who owned Nilan), and Kevin McClelland (dropped him with one punch). A list of Super Heavies that he's beaten would include Willi Plett, a young Dave Semenko (dropped him), John Wensink and Jimmy Mann.

7) Dave Semenko
Another Big and Strong player with good reach. He had good punching power and threw his punches pretty quickly and accurately for a guy his size and a sturdy chin. When he was younger he was as mean as they come, he believed in using any tactic necessary to get his point across. He would pull hair, elbows, kick, knee, throw punches over the linesmen and if his opponents didn't want to fight he would jump them anyways. His weakness were his stamina as he aged and he was ineffective when he fought just to fight. He was the enforcer of the Oilers and best when he fought for a reason and most teams did not cross the line knowing that. His wins over Solid Heavies include Gilles Bilodeau (aging), Jack McILHargey, Kim Clackson, Gary Howatt, Terry O'Reilly (dropped him), Ron Delorme (busted him open), Tiger Williams (busted him open), Randy Holt (busted him open numerous times), Jay Wells, Dwight Schofield, Chris Nilan and Bob McGill. A list of Super Heavies that he had beaten would include Jack Carlson (busted him open), Larry Playfair, Jimmy Mann, Dave Brown, Tim Hunter (busted him open a numerous times) & Joe Kocur (dropped him).

8) Marty McSorley
A warrior in the truest sense of the word. He seemed to get better each year he played both as a player and a fighter. His greatest asset was his stamina he would throw and throw and throw non stop and never really tire. He was very strong on his skates, he was very strong in general not too many who have ever played the game were stronger than Marty. He also had solid chin & and at times would seem to lose it, He would snap if the linesman came in too soon to stop his fights, he just never seemed satisfied at the end of his fights and wanted more especially through 1987 to 1993. He was another one of the players in the league who looked to lose the jersey and not tie down and wear goalie sized jersey's. Knocks against him would have been he didn't have quick punches and his punches did not have too much power behind them. A list of Solid Heavies he's beaten would include Darryl Stanley, Wendel Clark, Brian Curran, Gord Donnelly, Shane Churla, Mark Tinordi, Todd Ewen and Dennis Vial. A list of the Super Heavies he's beaten are Jim Kyte, Joe Kocur, Tim Hunter, Larry Playfair (aging), Ken Baumgartner (rookie), Craig Berube, Dave Brown, Gino Odjick, Stu Grimson, Tie Domi and Sandy McCarthy.

9) Joe Kocur
Without question the hardest puncher hockey has ever seen. When he came into the league he threw only with the right and then over time as his right hand became more and more messed up and other players being more sure to grab a hold of it he learned to throw effectively with his left. Kocur was strong, very strong even though he didn't look it. His punches were very accurate and had great balance on his skates. His chin was a bit suspect and the fact that he through nothing but bombs left him open to big punches as well. A list of wins over solid heavies: Cam Neely, Brad Maxwell (aging), Kevin McClelland, Brian Curran, Bob McGill, Rob Ray. Wins over Super Heavies: Jim Kyte (ended his reign as an elite heavy), Marty McSorley, Jay Miller, Tony Twist (rookie), Link Gaetz (rookie), Ken Baumgartner, Stu Grimson, Craig Berube, Donald Brashear & Bob Probert.

10) Tim Hunter
In an era of giants and one armed fighters along came Tim Hunter. Not the tallest but one of the strongest and most likely the best conditioned of the bunch. He was the best technical fighter of that era and possibly of all time. He used the cross grab technique to perfection and used his stamina and strength to buy him enough time that he could use that weapon. While he did not possess the hardest punch it had enough sting behind it and he had a very solid chin and possessed great balance. Wins over solid heavies are: Tiger Williams, Brian Curran, Kevin McClelland (a couple of very lop sided beatings) and Bob McGill. Wins over super heavies: Dave Semenko (gave him the worst beating of his career in 1985), Dave Brown, Marty McSorley, John Kordic (rookie) and Matt Johnson (rookie).

11) Jack Carlson
Great puncher, used both hands effectively and with precision. A WHA legend and arguably the best fighter in it's history. Holds wins over Nick Fotiu and a rookie Dave Semenko. In the NHL he holds a victory over a prime Glen Cochrane, Brad Marsh & Dave Hutchison. I wish I would have been around for when he was in the WHA or at least seen more footage of him when he was there. But from what I've seen, I could only imagine.

12) Nick Fotiu
A boxer, good balance and quick hands, He had a tendency to want to just wrestle down his opponents. His claims to fame would be his wins over Paul Holmgren and Behn Wilson. Also holds wins over Curt Bennett, Paul Baxter and Tim Hunter, had great fights with Jack McILHargey & Brad Maxwell. Unfortunately he had a long fuse and didn't go out looking for fights, if he did we might have seen an epic battle between himself and Gillies to crown the king of New York!

13) Willi Plett
A really good fighter early on in his career. Had good punch power and was strong and sturdy on his skates. He knew when to throw and knew when to hold on. He has wins over Behn Wilson, Jerry Korab (dropped him), Marty McSorley (rookie) and Glen Cochrane to name a few.

14) Stan Jonathan
The Bulldog! Short, stocky but strong and with a good hard accurate punch. He did very well for himself with a prime Behn Wilson & destroyed Pierre Bouchard.

15) Tony Twist
Even pre-steroids he was hard to beat. 1995-96 to the end of his career he was dominant, rag dolling his opponents while throwing looping right hands that if they connected would inflict serious damage ala Rob Ray. Had wins over Jim McKenzie, Stu Grimson, Bob Probert, Georges Laraque to name a few.

16) Tie Domi
Hardest head of the bunch. Nearly impossible to hurt. Has a very hard left and loves to use his low center of gravity to his advantage by using the now famous "spin cycle". He's beaten his fair share of heavyweights such as Ken Baumgartner, Gino Odjick, Bob Probert, etc.

17) Paul Holmgren
Big and Strong, Paul Holmgren was brought into Philly to replace an aging Dave Schultz and did so by beating up on the hammer. He also holds victories over Willi Plett, Nick Fotiu, Terry O'Reilly and a young Marty McSorley.

18) John Wensink
The wildman...He was one of the very few who have beaten Behn Wilson.

19) Stu Grimson
Got better with age. Very good technically and a very good and precise punch. Had wins over Marty McSorley, Bob Probert, Dave Brown, Georges Laraque to name a few.

20) Donald Brashear
The most hated man on FC. But can't deny his record and who he's beaten throughout his career. Too strong, too smart. Had wins over Bob Probert, Marty McSorley, Georges Laraque, Jim McKenzie (dropped him) to name a few.
"How about you and I go for a little canoe ride?!" - Dave Semenko

ILB
superstar
Total Posts: 4270
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

08-12-04 03:32 PM - Post#306165    

In response to Playfair27

Another great write-up. Excellent post.
"The Hand is fine, I got a shot of chromosome yesterday."

John Kordic on the status of his hand.

J_Carlson
superstar
Total Posts: 3574
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 04:15 PM - Post#306209    

Playfair27 that was a fine post. Good job. If you had seen Jack in his WHA days there is NO doubt he would be in your top 10.

You and Johnny (#8) were the only ones in this thread that have put him in your lists and I agree. Johnny must of seen him in the day?
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Bridgman
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 9382
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 04:32 PM - Post#306223    

Thanks dunlopyousuck, appreciate the years of the fights. I'll check them out over the weekend.

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 31533
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 04:59 PM - Post#306238    

In response to Bridgman

LOL!!!!!!

the_Bulldog
Total Posts: 4128
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 05:35 PM - Post#306253    

In response to Posux

great job playfair. and some solid names on there as well. i would like to add the name of willi plett to the list of notables that your namesake larry playfair manhandled - not once, but twice. there were many more, but those fights particulaly come to mind. speaking of plett, one of his best wins imo was his beating of a very tough dave hoyda (he lost to hoyda as well tho)

also, i'm sure i'm going to hear from jcarlson (and maybe yourself) on this, but i can't give carlson a win over glen cochrane. i haven't watched that fight in a while, but i recall reviewing it at length once before, and i disagreed with that decision. from what i remember, i scored that fight a draw, posssibly edge cochrane. i suspect i'll be pulling that fight out again. lol

anyways, great list buddy.
"He may have looked like he lost the fight, but he didn't." Diogenes 12/28/2005

"this is classic assholery at it's best". NYRfan 5/27/2008

J_Carlson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 06:36 PM - Post#306276    

In response to the_Bulldog

No Bulldog, you won't pull it out because of me. I don't want to ruin this thread. You are wrong though.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

espo
captain
Total Posts: 996
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 06:50 PM - Post#306281    

In response to J_Carlson

I certainly would have Carlson there and would have put him on my list if had thought about it longer than 2 minutes. Every time I make a list it's different. I always love just watching him skate around the ice, just looking for trouble in the old WHA tapes. Same way Fotiu used to look as a Ranger.

Playfair27
captain
Total Posts: 654
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 09:15 PM - Post#306333    

In response to espo

Thanks guys.

Bulldog; you know I even had that writen down but totally forgot to put Plett on there for Playfair.

Sadly if asked to do another top 20 list in a few months my list would be tad different.
"How about you and I go for a little canoe ride?!" - Dave Semenko

the hammer
superstar
Total Posts: 3893
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 09:36 PM - Post#306336    

I would have added Carlson in my top 20 also but where his best years were in the WHA i wasn't sure if this top 20 list included guys from the WHA. Curt Fraser is another guy i always seem to forget about. He may have been on my top 20 or at least got an honorable mention. Shit there's so many great fighters from the 70's + early 80's that it gets harder to list them once you get the top ten out of the way.

J_Carlson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-12-04 10:17 PM - Post#306348    

In response to the hammer

Quote:

Shit there's so many great fighters from the 70's + early 80's that it gets harder to list them once you get the top ten out of the way.

That is why I can't give a definitive list. Exactly why. There are WAY too many that deserve it and in my opinion it all comes down to favoritism in some way or another. It makes for interesting reading though. Some of the posts here are good. It would be interesting to read why some feel the guy deserves it.

Page 5 of 20 « First<5678>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
50 Online Now
3 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 46 guests are online now.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.563 seconds.   Total Queries: 348   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 02:01 PM