hockey-fights.com
 Page 83 of 83 « First<80818283
Username Post: Books we're reading        (Topic#31110)
taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9732
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-17-18 04:23 PM - Post#1714191    

In response to Kanrok

• Kanrok Said:
Reading “Five Families” by Selwyn Raab. Required reading for anyone interested in learning about the mob in America. Well written and engaging. Highly recommend.

That's sitting on my nightstand, going to get to it this summer.
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 3463
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-24-18 02:18 PM - Post#1714318    

In response to taz

I just got done with "Fade Away" another Harlan Coeben thriller(sic) with Myron Boliter getting a chance to play in the NBA. He goes undercover to find a superstar, his former rival from N.C.. Myron got his knee blown out in a practice game before he got a chance to play in the NBA, despite being a top ten pick out of Duke. He went to Harvard Law School, passed the bar, and became a sports agent. In the novels he spends a lot of time finding out the truth to heinous crimes with sports as a back drop. The are very descriptive of the Jersey, NYC area and very 20 years ago, plus, "the author has read a lot of the newspapers to get his material." My significant other's words.

Edited by HenryHanson on 06-24-18 02:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-06-18 05:52 PM - Post#1714852    

In response to HenryHanson

Since the last post I've read by Harlan Coben: "Caught," "Live Wire" and "Long Lost." Two are Myron Bolitar's adventures and the third has characters from the Bolitar series. Winford Horne Lockwood 111, Big Cyndi, "North of 6'5" and 300 lbs. and her former wrestling partner, Esparanza, aka "Little Pochahantas", and one of his ex-girlfriends, Teresa Collins. Anyone who has read the Myron Bolitar series, some or all, I'd recommend "Caught" if he hasn't read it already.

"Win" in Coben's books, "Clete Purcell" in James Lee Burke's and "Lewis" in Nick Petrie's books are some awesome sidekicks.

Currently I am reading, "Curtain" by Agatha Christie. I may or may not have read this in the 80's as I read some books, my dad was an editor, but did smoke a lot of ganja. "Curtain" is M. Herucle Poirot's last appearence in her novels. So far all the guests are at a huge house and one of them is a murderer.... Ok that is status quo, what is interesting, besides the characters, is the griping of one getting older and the times they are a changing. SOS DD but still a good read, Poirot knows the murderer but won't tell his "Mon Ami", Hastings, who is the failing detective's eyes, ears, and legs. Poirot is invalid but his brain is still sharp.

Edited by HenryHanson on 08-06-18 05:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-09-18 06:51 PM - Post#1715314    

I read "Home" by Harlan Coben last month, he is good a twisting his stories into the "epilogue."

Edited by HenryHanson on 09-09-18 06:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-15-18 06:15 PM - Post#1715356    

I just read "One Shot" by Lee Child. I've seen the movie which is titled after Child's hero. A nice change from the movie in the way it all goes down. The movie actually does a better job with The Zec's motive of his terror. I like the story of one of the victim's in the movie better in the movie than the book.

Fotiu
Total Posts: 17306
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-05-18 08:28 AM - Post#1716170    

In response to FreezingTexan

THE BEASTIE BOYS BOOK. Bought it on Saturday. It's gonna be an old school NYC goldmine from my era of coming of age in the sit-ay. Can't wait to dive into this one.

I've also read great things about the Roger Daltrey book too, but haven't picked that up yet (The BB book was $50, so I have to slow my roll a little).
“I know words, I have the best words.”

Page 83 of 83 « First<80818283
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
108 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 108 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.141 seconds.   Total Queries: 130   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 12:45 AM