hockey-fights.com
 Page 124 of 124 « First<121122123124
Username Post: Recently Watched Movies        (Topic#502766)
Jax
Total Posts: 12988
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-05-18 11:50 AM - Post#1714461    

In response to Edmond Dantes

Bad Frank. Amazon Prime flick in the vein of The History of Violence about a guy trying to shed his violent history and start a new life. Of course, past associates try to reel him back in by going after his family and he has to resort to his old ways. Outside of Tom Sizemore as the main bad guy and a small part from former boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, I didn't know a single person from this movie, but I liked it. It's a slow build, but the payoff is good.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 13993
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-09-18 04:11 PM - Post#1714467    

In response to Mad_Professor

• Mad_Professor Said:
“The First Purge”

I almost got up and walked out in the middle of this one. I should have known what to expect after “Election Year” but instead of listening to the criticism of that flop they just doubled down on the oppressed minorities vs the evil white patriarchy.

This one looked as if it could have been written as a BLM recruitment film. Even included the local drug kingpin with a heart of gold turned Rambo.

This one was such an anti government transparent shot at the current political climate the only thing that shocked me was that they didn’t portray the president with a bad orange combover.

It’s a slap in the face to the spirit of Independence Day for this anti-American piece of garbage to be released on July 4th.

1 out of 5 with the only saving grace being some pretty visceral violence

LOL!!!

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-09-18 04:25 PM - Post#1714468    

In response to Canucko29

I watched Purge Election Year and it was as anti-Republican as a movie could get.

It was almost a parody of how extreme Democrats think.

I have a young friend who hates Donald Trump and is very liberal. He looks up to me and I meet up with him now and then and we'll talk about life. While we were drinking, he told me we are all slaves today. I brought up his Portuguese heritage and explained to him the history of slavery. He didn't even know that Russians had been a serf state (i.e. Slave state) until 1861 and I explained to him just how awful they were treated (along with most people East of the Elbe).

I explained how even peasants in Europe were horribly treated by the landed aristocracy (which led to the French Revolution).

It was really sad that he didn't know this. His views changed immediately once he realized, yes... we're pretty damn lucky to be living in this part of the world at this day and age.

What's really funny is it a Native Canadian explaining this to a young white (of albeit Portuguese ancestry) Canadian. What a world we live in.

Edited by Canucko29 on 07-09-18 04:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-09-18 04:36 PM - Post#1714469    

In response to Canucko29

But if you really want to wipe the taste of a bad movie out of your mouth, watch Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado.

I called the first Sicario the best movie of its year. And it was. The movie did not get Oscar buzz, in my opinion, because it wasn't political, and focused mainly on the issues, the people and the challenges of controlling the drug trade. It was a down the middle analysis of a complex issue that presented a moral and ethical problem as opposed to a political conundrum. It was in my opinion one of the great movies of this decade.

Unfortunately, if you're expecting Sicario 2 to be the same, that's like expecting the French Connection II to be as good as the original. Not even close.

But if you watch it for what it is and what it tries to be, you'll see a gem of an action flick with solid acting, an interesting plot and some kick ass murder scenes.

I'm sorry, but I can't get enough of Alejandro and Matt Graver.

Edited by Canucko29 on 07-09-18 04:38 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-09-18 04:36 PM - Post#1714470    

In response to Canucko29

3/4

Holmgren
superstar
Total Posts: 3268
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

07-11-18 10:43 AM - Post#1714488    

In response to Canucko29

The first Sicario is a top movie, I liked the second one but it's not on the same level as the first. It's political in a way about a touchy subject in the media right now. . . . maybe why Brolin and Del Toro might not get Oscar love.
I see Blue! . . . He looks glorious!

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 3442
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-16-18 05:34 PM - Post#1714558    

In response to Holmgren

• Holmgren Said:
The first Sicario is a top movie, I liked the second one but it's not on the same level as the first. It's political in a way about a touchy subject in the media right now. . . . maybe why Brolin and Del Toro might not get Oscar love.

I just saw it again the other night. I haven't seen the second one. Having been to NM this Summer it was cool seeing where it was filmed and the hotel, I cannot remember if the bar is in NM. So is the "touchy feely" subject as annoying as having the woman and the black man trailing the Ops? I was glad to see them get it handed to them in the first one. Alejondro warned Kate about pointing a weapon at him.
*****SPOILER ALERT*****

She did at the end of the first one and I cannot imagine why he did't feed it to her.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-20-18 03:30 PM - Post#1714639    

In response to HenryHanson

I watched a Quiet Place and I was pleasantly surprised. Just an incredibly well done film. There were many edge of your seat moments throughout this gem.

3.5/4

I was surprised to see John Krasinski wrote this. I think he might have just wrote himself into Hollywood.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-21-18 06:42 PM - Post#1714657    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
I watched a Quiet Place and I was pleasantly surprised. Just an incredibly well done film. There were many edge of your seat moments throughout this gem.

3.5/4

I was surprised to see John Krasinski wrote this. I think he might have just wrote himself into Hollywood.

Ah Man, I always like what you write about films and you have influenced my viewing of such. I gotta totally disagree with this. I found it contrived. Another film where the white man is the villain. See, or don't in this case, The Shape of Water. All I could think when watching this was,"WTF are these people thinking?" Without giving away the details this movie has water flooding the house which has been used in movies to depict horror. The only horrific scene in a film with water was the shower scene in the original Psycho. So at the end of A Quiet Place the heroine is holding a shotgun with multiple monsters descending of the homestead. How many shells are there? We didn't see anyone load it, nor a box of shells from which to do so. She waited an awful long time to blow the monster's head off, even though her new born was on the other side of it. Oh yeah the movie ends abruptly as Three Billboards.... I thought Karsinski directed this. Wait until it is free don't even pay extra for it. Better yet skip it.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-22-18 12:03 AM - Post#1714659    

• HenryHanson Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

3.5/4

Ah Man, I always like what you write about films and you have influenced my viewing of such. I gotta totally disagree with this. I found it contrived. Another film where the white man is the villain. See, or don't in this case, The Shape of Water. All I could think when watching this was,"WTF are these people thinking?" Without giving away the details this movie has water flooding the house which has been used in movies to depict horror. The only horrific scene in a film with water was the shower scene in the original Psycho. So at the end of A Quiet Place the heroine is holding a shotgun with multiple monsters descending of the homestead. How many shells are there? We didn't see anyone load it, nor a box of shells from which to do so. She waited an awful long time to blow the monster's head off, even though her new born was on the other side of it. Oh yeah the movie ends abruptly as Three Billboards.... I thought Karsinski directed this. Wait until it is free don't even pay extra for it. Better yet skip it.

Even Siskel and Ebert disagreed lots.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-22-18 04:38 PM - Post#1714673    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
But if you really want to wipe the taste of a bad movie out of your mouth, watch Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado.

I called the first Sicario the best movie of its year. And it was. The movie did not get Oscar buzz, in my opinion, because it wasn't political, and focused mainly on the issues, the people and the challenges of controlling the drug trade. It was a down the middle analysis of a complex issue that presented a moral and ethical problem as opposed to a political conundrum. It was in my opinion one of the great movies of this decade.

Unfortunately, if you're expecting Sicario 2 to be the same, that's like expecting the French Connection II to be as good as the original. Not even close.

But if you watch it for what it is and what it tries to be, you'll see a gem of an action flick with solid acting, an interesting plot and some kick ass murder scenes.

I'm sorry, but I can't get enough of Alejandro and Matt Graver.

This one to be exact. I watched the first one again a couple of times. I do want to see the second one.

FreezingTexan
legend
Total Posts: 12559
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-26-18 09:44 AM - Post#1714745    

Watched The Last Jedi with my daughter last night and I enjoyed it. Was it great? No. Was it terrible? No. I'd give it 2 1/2 stars out of 4. It was better than I expected after hearing and reading reviews.
Germany, it's like Wisconsin only with a really bad past.

Page 124 of 124 « First<121122123124
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
105 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 105 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.234 seconds.   Total Queries: 221   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 05:05 PM