hockey-fights.com
 Page 122 of 122 « First<119120121122
Username Post: Recently Watched Movies        (Topic#502766)
Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10754
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-14-18 07:48 AM - Post#1710392    

In response to Jax

• Jax Said:
I thought the movie version of IT was pretty good, although they did chickenshit out of some of the more disturbing events in the novel. If they went into Pennywise's origins in depth the movie would be three three-hour installments, like Lord of the Rings.
Part two, when they return to Derry as adults 27 years later when Pennywise returns,should be good.

Thanks for the updste. I did go read a synopsis of the book and it appears the movie took liberties with the sequence of events. The movie takes place exclusively in 1988/89 I believe. While the book has most of the scenes depicted in the film happening back in the mid-'50s.

When the movie ended, it clearly said "It Part 1" as the trailing image. So I assume the sequel will take place 27 years later but will again take liberties with the sequence of events and probably show the characters in their late 30s in the year 2015.

Anyway, I've spent a lot of time in this thread on what I thought was a very mediocre and disappointing film. Oh well.

Pibb
legend
Total Posts: 12254
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-17-18 11:40 AM - Post#1710538    

In response to Pete

came across this old favorite on the Firestick:

Long Gone, with William Peterson, Virginia Madsen and Dermot Mulroney

Story of the Tampico Stogies, a low minor-league baseball team, and its star player and manager, Stud' Cantrell, as they battle for the league championship amidst the corruption and racism of the American south.

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 3416
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-03-18 05:18 PM - Post#1711280    

In response to HenryHanson

• HenryHanson Said:
Oscar Nominated Short Live Action Films of 2017.
I would recommend these, this film as it was shown, all five of them on Showtime. There is one from Hungary, Denmark, France, Spain and Switzerland. The one from Hungary has a new pre-teen girl attending a school and wanting to join its choir. The are a celebrated group which travels around Europe. It shows how unfair life is and the age when one learns of it.

The Denmark one has a man from Ghana coming over on a boat with others. He is a refugee and ends up homeless. He meets a single young woman in the shelter of the Salvation Army and falls in love. It deals with Europe's influx of refugee's and morality of people. The one from France also is reflecting today's norms. An Algerian wants to apply for citizenship to "the French Republic." He is being questioned by a young man who appears to be fascist or very cautious. Both of these show what Europe is going through as it is becoming more of a melting pot. Respectively by refugees and in the French film there are Arabs which raises concerns for the Republic.

The one from Spain has two guards watching a parking lot via computer screens. The young man works the graveyard and the young woman works the day shift. The communicate via post it notes as to which screen and times to watch.

The one from Switzerland has a very French flavor. The TVG speeds by a senior woman's house every morning and she waves a Swiss flag as it passes. She makes a human contact, she has a dial phone, and writes letters, with a passenger and will not "send and internet." This is based on actual facts. At the end of the presentation of the films there is a website where one can predict the Oscar. I hope it is the Swiss one. Though the Denmark and French ones
are very PC.

OK I just found out that these were up for the Oscar during 2017. Sing won the Oscar, I suppose sub-consciously I knew this as I watch the show each year, and mark the ballot provided by the Entertainment section of the Sunday paper, yeah I know.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 13922
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-11-18 06:06 PM - Post#1711547    

The Disaster Artist

This is up there on my favourite movies list from last year. James Franco is truly brilliant in this one. He goes a little bit Latka in this one, but it definitely qualifies as a transformation.

A movie that makes you want to watch the worst film ever made has to be considered a success.

3.5/4

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-24-18 04:43 PM - Post#1711848    

In response to Canucko29

Ice Guardians on Netflix the other night(s). This if I remember has been appreciated and discussed at length on this site. I recommend this for those who, like me, thought fighting was the major cause of concussions. The "Mr. Burns" looking dude and Jay Baruschel had arguments which most out here would get behind. Yet the statistics prove otherwise, regarding why one would quit playing hockey at the NHL level.

Anyone who has played hockey or watched, I guess, would think hard as to the careers of Superstars who had one like Twist or Semenko watching his back. Brett Hull summed it up correctly though I forgot exactly what he said, but he gave a lot of his success to the fact that no one looked sideways at him or ran him into the boards.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-26-18 04:18 PM - Post#1711909    

Darkest Hour

I would say this is an important movie for this generation of wacko liberals to watch, but it isn't that good of a movie. Not even close, and unfortunately fails to capture the real Winston Churchill. The real Winston Churchill, one guy I consider one of the most important people of all time and a savior of Western Civilization, was a lot meaner in many ways than this movie depicted. Also, the train scene where he talks to regular people in London is just so unlikely and so implausible. This wasn't a man who listened to others to get his ideas. He had a very firm view of the world, and he rarely took advice well, even from extremely knowledgeable people like Field Marshal Alan Brooke and most notoriously from Bernard Montgomery.

This movie is a highly over-dramatized and fraught with wishful thinking about a man who was by no means a man of the people, but who surely understood duty and how to call for certain actions to get his desirable results. I watched another movie recently that had a much more accurate depiction, though less flattering, of Winston Churchill, starring Brian Cox. I think that movie caught Winston Churchill's personality much more vividly and accurately. However, I will say that Gary Oldman was terrific in the role and I'm glad that he did win best actor as it has been long overdue. The guy is just a terrific actor.

2.5/4

Edited by Canucko29 on 03-26-18 04:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Pete
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-26-18 04:46 PM - Post#1711911    

In response to Canucko29

The Florida Project - Slice of life story of a single mom (and world class skank) living in one of those garish motels along the strip outside of Disney World. The story is told mostly through the eyes of her cute but smart mouthed 6-yr. old daughter. Willem Dafoe received a best supporting actor nomination in an understated role as the motel manager. Dafoe plays the role with an underlying sense of empathy and genuine concern for the kids growing up in such a dysfunctional environment.

Unfortunately, the film is uneven. Some very good scenes overshadowed by some uninspired ones. A lot of the film depends on the kids and they can't carry it all the way through.

But I'd give it a *** out of **** since it is made with honesty.

Jax
Total Posts: 12962
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-28-18 07:27 AM - Post#1711945    

In response to Pete

Pacific Rim:Uprising. After a week at home with three kids on spring break I needed to get out for some mindless entertainment last night. Mission accomplished.
This is basically the first Pacific Rim with bigger Kaiju. Not bad. Great FX and monster battles.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-02-18 01:26 AM - Post#1711991    

In response to Jax

Spiderman: Homecoming

This is a really mediocre movie. First, the Peter Parker in this version is exceptionally annoying, especially in the beginning when he starts going through his exploits with the Avengers.

Secondly, I find it funny that he gets knocked out banging his head on top of a roof, but yet he's getting flung into buses and walls and everything and he just gets right back up.

Thirdly, the movie is filled with Millennial era humor. Of the many times I felt prompted to laugh, I didn't.

2/4

Maguire19
Total Posts: 19269
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-11-18 01:40 PM - Post#1712167    

In response to Canucko29

I Tonya...... Excellent movie, great soundtrack. Tragic and at times very funny. Margot Robbie, Sebastien Stan, and Allison Janney were all awesome in this.... One of the better non super hero / sci fi / fantasy movies Ive seen in a long time...

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-13-18 05:25 PM - Post#1712246    

In response to Maguire19

SHe was chopping wood all morning!

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-14-18 01:13 AM - Post#1712254    

In response to Maguire19

• Maguire19 Said:
I Tonya...... Excellent movie, great soundtrack. Tragic and at times very funny. Margot Robbie, Sebastien Stan, and Allison Janney were all awesome in this.... One of the better non super hero / sci fi / fantasy movies Ive seen in a long time...

I originally gave this three and a half stars, but I have to say it is actually a four out of four and the best movie I seen last year. I haven't been able to forget that movie and that's quite an accomplishment for something that years ago I couldn't wait to forget.

ChiBoyinLA
all star
Total Posts: 1454
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-18 12:04 PM - Post#1712321    

In response to Canucko29

Thor Ragnarok: Finally got around to watching this on an airplane. I would easily put it top five among the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. Lots of humor. Great action. One of the better villains of the Marvel movies. Good pacing. Unexpected plot turns. Two thumbs up on this one.

The China Hustle: good documentary about an under-publicized fraud that is being perpetrated upon American investors. Similar to the Enron Smartest Guys in the Room film and The Big Short. Through my work I've actually been exposed to some of the companies and people that are the subject of the film; based upon that, I can say that the filmmakers did a good job making a complex situation pretty easy for the layman to grasp.

Icarus: another documentary, this one about the Russian athletics doping scandal. Starts out a bit confusing (because the filmmaker originally intended to make a completely different movie), but once it hooks into the doping scandal, and the key player's role in it, the movie really takes off. Fascinating and depressing. It will convince you that all top level athletes are cheaters.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

FreezingTexan
legend
Total Posts: 12545
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-17-18 12:53 PM - Post#1712323    

In response to ChiBoyinLA

Icarus was good
Germany, it's like Wisconsin only with a really bad past.

Hannibal
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9887
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-25-18 10:28 AM - Post#1712516    

In response to FreezingTexan

Been watching Netflix while hitting the treadmill and it's given me a lot of time to watch/rewatch movies they are carrying.

Most recently:

1. Deadpool - I can watch this 100x's. Can't wait for #2. Already covered in this forum so no point in talking about it more.

2. 3:10 to Yuma - Russell Crowe is a great bad guy in this one and Christian Bale again shows his range. Fun take on a classic.

3. Goon - a fun watch but a terrible movie. I am not sure if I am supposed to laugh at him or feel bad for the way he acts knowing it could be taken as a dig on other enforcers. Stiffler makes me laugh though.

4. Along Came Polly - I had seen this before but Netflix presented me with a picture of Jennifer Anniston in her red spandex shorts. I had to watch it for that scene alone.

5. Thor / Ragnorok - Watching this now. Never was a fan of this series but this one is great so far. The back and forth between Thor and the Hulk is great. And the drunk bounty hunter lady is awesome as well not to mention Jeff Goldblum.
Barney who?

Pete
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

04-25-18 11:50 AM - Post#1712521    

In response to Hannibal

Phantom Thread - 6 Oscar nominations for a film starring Daniel Day Lewis as a 1950s London dress designer to the stars. A typical (translation "wacky") Paul Thomas Anderson affair that is beautifully filmed and well acted. It focuses on a self absorbed designer who uses and discards women as his muse, only to find himself falling in love with his latest - a waitress he romances while on holiday. The movie becomes a study of his struggles to balance the relationship with his creative urges.

Anderson uses a variation of Munchausen syndrome to define the atypical relationship.

Bizarre, slow, but it somehow stays with you, similar to There Will be Blood.

**1/2 out of ****

Maguire19
Total Posts: 19269
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
04-27-18 01:05 PM - Post#1712654    

In response to Pete

Avengers - Infinity War:

In my opinion the best MCU movie yet. 2 hours and 45 minutes and it felt like an hour it moves along so perfectly. There's so much action. War on Wakanda was so good. Funny moments and super emotional moments too. Thanos is the best Villain in MCU. He's fully convinced what he's doing is for a greater good. Makes you realize as insane as people are who orchestrate genocide, they truly believe they are doing it for good reasons. 5 out of 5. If you love MCU, this is the best yet.

Page 122 of 122 « First<119120121122
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
104 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 104 guests are online now.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.297 seconds.   Total Queries: 300   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 10:06 PM