hockey-fights.com
 Page 125 of 125 « First<122123124125
Username Post: Recently Watched Movies        (Topic#502766)
HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 3497
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-12-19 03:35 PM - Post#1717149    

In response to Canucko29

Three Identical Strangers is the story of triplets who by chance find out about each other. It is very dated as they were born in '61 and were 19 when this happened. It shows there rise to fame and fortune in NYC. It is a documentary and the film and the brothers go "wait a f--ing minute" at the same time. Then it gets weirder in a dark way. I was an adoptive twin, and had an older adopted sister, but I am not Jewish, and was born in Chicagoland as opposed to NY.. Still this film hit hard and I would highly recommend it for its substance.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-19 07:16 PM - Post#1717266    

In response to HenryHanson

Game Night and Leave No Trace. The first one was on someone's Got to watch these movies of 2018 list on YouTube. It is very entertaining, like the Harlan Coben novels I've read there are a lot of twists in the ending. Jason Bateman's character even mentions how the whole "game night" has jumped the shark. I'd say watch it it is a good escape.

Leave No Trace is directed by the woman who did Winter's Bone. Like a lot of movies lately the non messed up character is female and in this case a 14 year old girl named, ahem, "Tom." She does rely on Ben Foster's character and she says in her teen-aged voice, "Dad" a little too much. I was hoping he'd realize she wasn't a PTSD person and let her get on with society. He needs some time to heal. This film shows how human's need the five basicx and how hard it is to get them. For some having a job and paying bills is not the only way to live on Earth. See it as "Rotten Tomatoes" gave it a 100, OnDemand.

NIGERIAN NIGHTMARE
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5540
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-22-19 09:21 PM - Post#1717435    

Somehow, today, for the first time ever, I watched Hoosiers from start to finish...
When You Put Your Faith in Man, You Will Always Be Let Down.....

Edited by NIGERIAN NIGHTMARE on 01-22-19 09:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37454
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-28-19 09:01 AM - Post#1717573    

In response to Council of 1

Saw Glass last night.

I loved Unbreakable.

I thought that Split was good and McAvoy is great.

Glass could have used a bit more dialogue between the three characters, but I thought that the ending was great and fit the series perfectly. Good twist.

-PR

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-28-19 06:42 PM - Post#1717593    

In response to PuckRogue

Black Klansman, Spike Lee's latest "joint." This made someone's "Ten Best List", I saw it as one's Best Film of the Year. I think it was the P.A. Weekly's pick. You could guess the critic who deemed it such. He makes movies which show a lot of animosity and this one does too. He makes films which have a fantasy feel to them and yet shows the viewer some actual news clips and photos which are more heinous than anything he tells. This is one of those movies with a "social message" and maybe it is nominated in some Oscar categories. I haven't checked the list for this year. Lee has cut way back on the directorial trick shots for which I am glad.

I'd say see it as it is an incredible story as a Black man has an official KKK card pinned to his bulletin board.

Edited by HenryHanson on 01-28-19 06:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-30-19 07:58 PM - Post#1717626    

Mission: Impossible Fallout. I saw the first one years ago and its been on TV also. This one is very sophisticated in comparison. Who ever directed this deserves a nod from the Academy, but he didn't get one because...

Someone on YouTube thought it a really great movie yet he didn't have any emotion towards the characters. I can see his point. Having seen Pulp Fiction, Con Air, Out of Sight I cannot see him as a computer genius. I also cannot remember his name nor how to spell it. Seeing Tom Cruise sprinting towards a "bad guy" was also a suspension in reality. Though I hear he does most of his own stunts. Alec Baldwin's character fighting the mole had me thinking that he is "America's greatest actor." I couldn't keep up with all the plot twists as I haven't seen all the movies in the franchise. This probably will seem dated in a few years, in spite all of that I'd say see it.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 14134
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-01-19 02:44 PM - Post#1717655    

I actually like Spike Lee. Yes, he's your garden-variety angry black man who thinks everything is racist, but he was the actual one black man who came out and tried to send the message to the Black Lives Matter movement to focus on gang violence. I thought that was a brave thing of him to do.

Also, just one movie review:

Polar (Netflix).

Stars one of my favourite non-A List actors, Mads Mikkelson. I actually thought this was very funny. It is a wee bit predictable, but some of the action scenes are worth a look. Some of it is sloppily done, but not bad for a straight to Netflix film with a very customary "assassin getting revenge on his employers" type of film. 2.5/4 (just watchable).

Ant Man and the Wasp: This was actually extremely good. Even funnier than the first one in my opinion and is overall a very uplifting film. Great for kids. 3.5/4

SPOILER:

Okay, this isn't much of a spoiler, but it turns out that Michael Douglas's wife is Michelle Pfeiffer. I just find it funny is that she's stuck in this sub-atomic universe for 35 years and comes out of the machine still wearing perfectly laid eye shadow, LMFAO.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-04-19 05:55 PM - Post#1717755    

In response to Canucko29

Yes Spike does take chances with his films, he also ruins them by being in them or uses too many camera tricks. Do the Right Thingshould have won Best Picture though.

Edited by HenryHanson on 02-04-19 06:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-06-19 07:14 PM - Post#1717847    

Widows-Thought I'd check this out as Roeper thought it the Best of 2018. I wish I rented another OnDemand. Sure seeing Chicago was nice but like a lot of the movies of the past calendar year it contained "women's issues." *****SPOILER******

The deaths of the characters played by Robert Duvall and the man from Get Out and Sicario were lame.

I wish I'd spent the money on another film.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-09-19 04:01 PM - Post#1717905    

Upgrade I saw it again last night...errr. I am trying to give a break to all the liberals, feminists, LBGT, and otherwise anti white males, then I see this. It all goes back to the Bob Marely song, "War", the lyric about the time no one thinks he is better than the other. This film shows one how criminals etal can get around any system, it also shows how the military wants to win in War. Hey I get it.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 14134
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-09-19 08:33 PM - Post#1717911    

• HenryHanson Said:
Upgrade I saw it again last night...errr. I am trying to give a break to all the liberals, feminists, LBGT, and otherwise anti white males, then I see this. It all goes back to the Bob Marely song, "War", the lyric about the time no one thinks he is better than the other. This film shows one how criminals etal can get around any system, it also shows how the military wants to win in War. Hey I get it.

I actually thought this was one of the better movies I've seen in a while (and I actually came here only to write about it). It was fantastically original, and the dark humor hit the right notes (particularly the parts where STEM helps his host clean up a crime scene), and the gore was insanely right on.

As for the political message, I thought it was sufficiently appealing to all ideologies. This movie borrows heavily from 1984 and envisions a world where there is no privacy, no freedom and, frankly, we have let machines rule our lives. It's a sufficiently frightening image for everyone.

The lead character is essentially an old school guy who drives his own fuel-guzzler, distrusts technology and pays with cash.

Just a terrific film all around. 4/4

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-11-19 05:34 PM - Post#1717950    

In response to Canucko29

I did too think this one of the better films of 2018 and rate it like you do, Nucks. There is an earlier thread where some think this year as "meh" in terms of film quality. This one I mentioned as one of the better ones. I can understand the "meh" part as I saw a sequal with Matt Craven and Alejandro and the "prize" was a school girl. She cried a lot, she did kick some school girl ass early in the film. (I don't want to "switch to full reply" and loose my text.)

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37454
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-12-19 02:17 PM - Post#1717962    

I finally saw Green Book. Really good movie. Great dialogue and banter between Mortensen and Ali. Great acting.

-PR

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29743
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-12-19 03:26 PM - Post#1717963    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:

Also, just one movie review:

Polar (Netflix).

Stars one of my favourite non-A List actors, Mads Mikkelson. I actually thought this was very funny. It is a wee bit predictable, but some of the action scenes are worth a look. Some of it is sloppily done, but not bad for a straight to Netflix film with a very customary "assassin getting revenge on his employers" type of film. 2.5/4 (just watchable).

Agree for the most part. I like Mikkleson, but I think 37 minutes of the movie was just him brooding.

Definitely easy to root for the death of the Boss and Millennial assassin squad. Could have been better with a little more character development and a touch more Sin City

2.75/4
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-12-19 10:04 PM - Post#1717970    

In response to Johnny_Upton

The Old Man and the Gun. This is worth seeing if not only because it is Robert Redford's last film. I admire bank robbers, "now if that ain't 'Texas' I don't know what is!" This tried to and worked at looking retro, as a lot of the events took place in the late 70's early 80's. Casey Affleck's character taking his kids with him had me thinking WTF? The one child wrote a letter to Ronald Reagan after he got shot and thanked him "for making America safe." I was really stoned back then but I am sure that concept and words where not used. Spacek and Redford characters sitting on her porch and talking about life and its choices were enlightening to me.

Edited by HenryHanson on 02-12-19 10:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-17-19 04:10 PM - Post#1718110    

Bad Times at El Royale. I really liked this one and would recommend it. I'd thought I'd outgrown this genre,nah. It was cool seeing Bill Pullman's son, it was him yeah, I didn't check? Having played Edgewood a couple of Falls back I wouldn't be surprised it the place did not actually exist. There is a place similar off Hwy. 17 on the way to Boulder Creek which has a bar where one could watch another swim. I digress. Another movie with "strong women characters." One looks like a dude after she takes her wig off, and shrivels up the evil villain by calling him a "fragile man." The other is a c--- who sees her sister get shot and doesn't blink an eye, she commits hari kari on another. Jeff Bridges is in it so see it.

Page 125 of 125 « First<122123124125
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
123 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 123 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2019 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.297 seconds.   Total Queries: 281   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 02:59 AM