hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Brokaw's piece on Gander, Newfoundland and 09/11        (Topic#524205)
DPR4444
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5487
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 06:55 AM - Post#1174266    

Yesterday I happened to see Tom Brokaw's story on the role the small town of Gander, NF played on 09/11. Did anyone else see this? I am sure it will pop up on youtube or elsewhere online soon, but I couldn't find it this morning. It is a story that should be told, and not forgotten. Here is a summary I found online:

"
Gander is a small town of 10,000 residents in northeastern Newfoundland. The town has two stoplights and two police officers, and the people are largely descendants of Scots and Irish, living in an often harsh, rural environment. Once a refueling stop for transatlantic flights, Gander also happens to have a large airport and houses a key Nav Canada air traffic control center. While the advent of the jumbo jet made stops at Gander obsolete, that all changed on Sept 11, 2001.

Following the attacks of that day, air traffic was grounded across N. America. As a result, some 167 westbound transatlantic flights that had passed the halfway point were redirected to airports around Newfoundland and the Maritime provinces, all controlled by Gander center. The Arrivals sector staffing was quickly increased from its normal three controllers to 14 to reroute all of the aircraft over a seven hour period. Gander International Airport (CYQX/YQX), which normally handles 8 domestic flights per day, received 38 aircraft, many jumbo jets, parked around the taxiways with nearly 7,000 passengers. Processing immigration for all of these passengers took over 24 hours, with the last passengers finally entering the airport terminal at noon on Wed, Sep 12.

Subsequently, Gander needed to absorb this near doubling of its population. With little notice, the residents of Gander responded with incredible kindness and generosity. Passengers were bused to schools, churches, and legion halls where temporary shelters were set up (Gander has only 500 hotel beds). The locals rushed to meet them with home cooked meals and other necessities. As the passengers were not allowed to access their checked baggage, residents donated clothes and opened their shops free of charge. Prescriptions were filled by the two local pharmacies at no cost. Residents opened their homes to these stranded travelers. “Everybody just put everything on hold to take care of us.”

Four days later, U.S. airspace reopened and the passengers continued onto their original destinations. However, many lasting friendships were forged over that short period, thanks to the kindness of the Ganderites. With the residents refusing to accept monetary thanks, the passengers of Delta flight 15 established a college scholarship fund for local students; from $15,000 pledged on the flight from Gander to Atlanta, the fund has now grown to nearly $900,000. Several passengers featured in the piece have returned to visit their friends in Gander, and a monument now stands there in honor of their generosity.

Bravo to the residents of Gander and the surrounding area."

Our two countries compete against each other today in the sport all FCers hold dear, and yes, I definitely want my country to win. But a story like this puts perspective on the unique relationship we have.
"He shaved his head and shed his gloom..."

Edited by DPR4444 on 02-28-10 06:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

porksoda
all star
Total Posts: 1497
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 08:16 AM - Post#1174293    

In response to DPR4444

absolutely great story. It's times like that which shows the character of a nation and it's people.
"Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed...they don't mean quite so much"

Berry
superstar
Total Posts: 3254
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 08:42 AM - Post#1174300    

In response to porksoda

Wow! I did not know anything about that aspect of the 9/11 tragedy. Major kudos to the Gander folks. In the midst of terrible event, they showed the other side of the spectrum of humanity is alive and well. Thanks for posting this, DPR..I otherwise would not likely have known of this.

Arctaurus
all star
Total Posts: 1544
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 09:26 AM - Post#1174303    

In response to Berry

What an exceptional story, I know many maritime cities opened their homes to stranded air line passengers not just Gander. It really shows the generosity and good will of most Maritimers; some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.

Henry V - Shakespeare

DPR4444
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5487
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 10:44 AM - Post#1174344    

In response to Arctaurus

I really hope NBC replays it, or puts it up on their website ASAP.

I also plan to send a check to that scholarship foundation this week.
"He shaved his head and shed his gloom..."

Edited by DPR4444 on 02-28-10 10:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Captain Insano
legend
Total Posts: 11111
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 10:49 AM - Post#1174349    

In response to DPR4444

Too bad it only took 9 years for a story like this to become newsworthy. Great story
Free Vacation Condos @ www.timeshares4free.com

edmuzz
regular
Total Posts: 215
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 11:03 AM - Post#1174355    

In response to Takedown

I just happened to turn to NBC right at the beginning of this rather long piece. What a great story!

plett
Total Posts: 14663
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 11:32 AM - Post#1174376    

In response to edmuzz

I caught that story yesterday. Heartwarming tale.
"So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal"
The Great Phil Ochs

glockman30
superstar
Total Posts: 3327
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 11:53 AM - Post#1174386    

In response to Takedown

• Captain Insano Said:
Too bad it only took 9 years for a story like this to become newsworthy. Great story

That was my thoughts after I read it. Their needs to be more positive stories like this.
You can easily judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
- General Wayne Downing

Plett#24
captain
Total Posts: 898
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 04:05 PM - Post#1174452    

In response to glockman30

Theres a great book about this called The Day The World Came To Town: 9/11 in Gander Newfoundland

written by Jim DeFede

Edited by Plett#24 on 02-28-10 04:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

legend
Total Posts: 10706
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 04:35 PM - Post#1174467    

In response to Plett#24

I wonder if there was a spike in births 9 months later

Maniwaki Mauler
superstar
Total Posts: 2517
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-28-10 07:51 PM - Post#1174624    

In response to 242

Newfies and Canadian east coasters are amazing people. So much hospitality and genuine people. They love to meet new people and entertain. I have never met a newfie i didnt like.
-- trust is something that comes easy, when you've never been a victim

clarky
captain
Total Posts: 784
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-28-10 09:51 PM - Post#1174651    

In response to Maniwaki Mauler

My brother lives just outside of there with his wife and they opened their home like many others to two young ladies who were sleeping in the school gymnasium across town. The outreach was amazing all around that area.
Don't complain, and don't explain - Wendel Clark -

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
101 Online Now
1 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 100 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Sheriff Clarke" with 64 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.234 seconds.   Total Queries: 242   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 12:02 AM