hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Black Jack Stewart        (Topic#524854)
irish_66
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8322
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-30-10 10:03 AM - Post#1188643    

Currently reading The Code, and the book mentions one of the early enforcers(and decent hockey player) Black jack Stewart and his wars with John Mariucci of the Black hawks as he was the cop hired to protect the Bentley Brothers. Some awesome hilites were touched on including their epic 20 minute fight(which Stan Fischler has also spoke and written about extensively). Just wondering about two points. When we do out top lists ever, do we inlcude fighters from this ear(40's). Maybe we should. After all, we always talk of Babe Ruth being the greatest and we never saw him play? Why not include fighters like this when so much has been written about them.

Also, can anyone add anything to Mariucci??? Thanks
Gretzky to Hextall after Hexy stoned him on a breakaway in Hexy's first game:"Who the hell are you?"
Hextall's response:"Who the hell are you?"

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

03-30-10 11:25 AM - Post#1188688    

In response to irish_66

This won't add much, but my dad used to always bring up Black Jack Stewart when I'd be watching my Bruise Brothers tape. He's older and actually played during the 50s as a young man. In fact, and I've mentioned this before - not that I need to - but he even tried out for the Red Wings when they used to hold training camp in Sault Ste. Marie, as he was one of the better players from that area. Anyways, it certainly isn't some kind of end all be all comment here, but from a guy who was out and about in those days and played all over the country, he talks about a few people and they were Howe, Stewart, and Lindsay.

I think with Ruth you have very measurable stats and records. With a fighter from that long ago, you pretty much just have some stories. We can't even review a fight card from that era.

Maybe the older guys deserve a special wing in our Hall of Fame as recognition of their battling ways, but it's just too tough to use players pre- late 60s/early 70s in our top tens. The information is just too tough to find, IMO.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

Clutch
Total Posts: 12792
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-30-10 02:11 PM - Post#1188763    

In response to Kramer

December 4, 1946

I got a little bit in this thread:

http://www.hockey-fights.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/517862/post/10460 08/hl...
I drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around

Edited by Clutch on 03-30-10 02:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

irish_66
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8322
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-31-10 01:57 PM - Post#1189265    

In response to Clutch

excellent job Clutch...thanks
Gretzky to Hextall after Hexy stoned him on a breakaway in Hexy's first game:"Who the hell are you?"
Hextall's response:"Who the hell are you?"

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
40 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 40 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Lucic TKO'ed by Prout!!??" with 37 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.096 seconds.   Total Queries: 106   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 03:37 AM