hockey-fights.com
Article by Clutch    (02-10-11 06:17 AM)

At 12:36 of last night’s second period, with the Bruins holding a 5-3 lead, Brad Marchand had no idea the play had been called offside when he slammed James Wisniewski into the end boards.

BRUINS 8, CANADIENS 6 Standing 8 count

And Marchand had absolutely zero clue that his actions would trigger a sequence that saw Tim Thomas sprinting from one end of TD Garden to the other, ready to engage Carey Price in what would be both goalies’ first NHL fight.

“It was getting into an outnumbered situation,’’ said Thomas, called to duty when Price left his crease to join the jostling. “That’s what I was thinking when I was getting down there. He was more than willing to fight. I had this big old plan. I was going to grab his right, then I was going to throw lefts, because I know he’s bigger and taller than me and has the reach on me. I thought I could do a better job of throwing lefts than him. When we went to grab, he got a good hold of my right arm and I got nothing. So then I was like, ‘Now what do I do?’ He’s got a big right cocked and ready to come.’’

The showdown, which ended when Price hauled down Thomas and got his jersey over his head, highlighted an evening of ill tempers. Nathan Horton (goal, four assists) and P.K. Subban went at each other all night. Andrew Ference threw down with Travis Moen. Johnny Boychuk repeatedly cuffed Jaroslav Spacek. Gregory Campbell fed Tom Pyatt with a string of lefts. Benoit Pouliot decked David Krejci with a right hand that had the Bruins center icing his lower lip after the game.

And, oh yeah, there was an 8-6 Bruins win amid all the belligerence (187 combined penalty minutes).

“It looked like back in the day in the ’70s and ’80s when there were those rivals,’’ Milan Lucic (two goals) said of the hatred. “I’m sure [assistant coach] Doug Jarvis knows all about those. He was in the middle of a lot of them. We’re just happy that we were able to get that win. They’ve been a tough opponent for us lately. We’d lost eight of our last nine before tonight. Most of all, we’re just happy to get those two points and keep getting up in the standings.’’

Ever since the nastiness of Lucic squaring off repeatedly with Mike Komisarek in 2008-09, there had been an easing of the bad blood between the clubs. Things got testy on Dec. 16 when Krejci threw down with Michael Cammalleri in the first NHL fight for both skilled players. On Jan. 8, tempers flared after Max Pacioretty shoved Zdeno Chara at the conclusion of Montreal’s 3-2 overtime win.

Last night, the kettle was screaming at full boil.

“It’s a rivalry you want to compete in and you want to beat each other,’’ said Michael Ryder (two goals). “We don’t want the other team to have the best of us. For Montreal, we knew it was a big game. We knew we had to be emotionally involved. A couple games against these guys, we haven’t done that. Tonight, we wanted to do it. I think we did.’’

Five seconds after Lucic scored his first to give the Bruins a 5-3 edge, Marchand’s check ignited the powder keg. Brian Gionta crashed into Marchand, which brought all 10 skaters together. Then when Price got too close to one pile, Thomas joined the fun. Briefly, when Thomas missed with a lunge and Price had his right fist at the ready, the Boston goalie acknowledged thinking of Brent Johnson one-punching Rick DiPietro and breaking the ex-Terrier’s face.

“Only a little bit when I didn’t get the arm I wanted to get,’’ said Thomas. “He had a good grip on my arm and was free to do it with the big right. The thought crossed my mind that I don’t want to be DiPietro.’’

By the time every piece of equipment was gathered, six Bruins were stuffed into the penalty box, creating a clown-car effect.

“Half of us couldn’t even sit down, we had so many guys in there,’’ said Marchand, who scored one of two goals (Dennis Seidenberg netted the other) in a 12-second span in the first period. “Especially when guys stick up for each other like we did, everyone’s getting in there and it’s good. It’s a good feeling when you’re sitting in the box.’’

The Bruins, up, 6-4, after 40 minutes, saw the Canadiens turn it into a one-goal game when Pacioretty netted a power-play goal at 7:06 of the third. At 9:18, after Zach Hamill drew an interference call on David Desharnais, Ryder’s power-play goal was waved off. It was ruled that Marchand had interfered with Price, when replays showed that he was knocked into the goalie by Yannick Weber. But Ryder gave the Bruins the cushion they needed with a PPG at 10:01 to make it 7-5.

If the game was over by then, the hate was not. At 17:06, after Horton and Subban clashed, Krejci and Pouliot squared off. At 19:19, Ference, Thornton, and Boychuk were nabbed for fighting. At 19:35, Adam McQuaid tried to goad Pacioretty into a fight and was tagged with a roughing double-minor.

“As players, we all had fun in tonight’s game,’’ Lucic said. “I think the fans definitely had a lot of fun watching tonight’s game. We were able to play with a lot of emotion. We were able to keep our heads on straight to get that win. That’s the most important thing.’’

Fluto Shinzawa can be reached at fshinzawa@globe.com.

Username Comments
DPR4444
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5110
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-10-11 07:14 AM - Post#1284008    

In response to Clutch

"Boston's Tim Thomas had one thing on his mind as he squared off against Carey Price in a rare fight between goaltenders.

"I didn't want to end up like DiPietro," said Thomas, referring to Islanders goaltender Rick DiPietro, who suffered serious facial injuries when he was the loser in a one-punch fight against Pittsburgh goalie Brent Johnson.

"I wanted to tie up his right hand, but at last minute he pulled away and I got nothing," Thomas said. "I basically had his left wrist and he had his right arm cocked. I saw his punch coming and I was able to get out of the way. And as he came forward, he went off-balance and I was able to pull his jersey over his head."

The good news is that neither goalie was injured in their first NHL fight, although they took plenty of flak when they were in the crease. Price gave up eight goals and Thomas surrendered six and those were season-highs for both men.

The Canadiens scored 17 seconds after the fight to cut the Bruins' lead to 5-4 and Thomas was asked if the fight, which was part of a 12-player melee, gave Montreal.

"I don't know, they scored three goals before that," Thomas said. "I was hoping it would settle me down and that the best thing that could happen was for us to win the game and have the last laugh. "

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/health/Game+best+punc hes+land+behind+goalies...
"He shaved his head and shed his gloom...."

DPR4444
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5110
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-10-11 07:21 AM - Post#1284010    

In response to DPR4444

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/2/9/1985455/habs -beaten-by-bruins-in...

Habs beaten by Bruins in more ways than one

"Well where to begin with this one??

Carey Price and the Montreal Canadiens had pretty much owned the Boston Bruins in the regular season, but this game was just plain weird.

Fights? Yeah just a few, including a "goalie brawl" between Price and Tim Thomas who both appeared to just want to get in on the fun. In general, it was reminiscent of a typical "old time" game circa 1970-1988 with 192 penalty minutes dished out nearly even between the two clubs.

But of course the final score is what really counts, and in this case it was an 8-6 decision in favor of the Bruins.

The unfortunate situation for the Canadiens is that they lost a crucial four-point game, and now sit three back of the Bruins for first in the Northeast Division. Boston also has game in hand.

It seemed to be a game that the Bruins wanted more than the visiting team, and was evident through the first 20 minutes.

The Bruins jumped to an early 2-0 lead, catching the Canadiens up ice on one and taking advantage of the poor defensive coverage on the second.

On both occasions, Scott Gomez, Andre Kostitsyn and Lars Eller were on the ice. Gomez spoke to TSN during the first intermission and praised Price for his play (16 saves to that point), acknowledged that he and his teammates needed to step up. It might have happened for some of the Canadiens, but Gomez and his linemates finished -4 each on the night. Coach Jacques Martin had seen enough from that trio, and benched them for most of the third period. Somewhere Jack Todd is chucking to himself, much like Kostitsyn was spotted while his ass was bolted to the bench.

The second period saw the Canadiens rally back , but by the end of the period both teams had scored four goals apiece. It was clearly the Bruins night as they simply brought the physical game to the Canadiens, winning the battles in the corners and laying out 27 hits to the Canadiens 21. You know this is a tough team when Mark Recchi can still dish out four hits.

The Bruins are also a team that will go to the net on any opportunity, something the Canadiens forwards are often criticized for not doing. It was noted on Twitter that a Habs scout was spotted in Edmonton tonight, and that Dave Semenko (former tough guy and now a scout) for the Edmonton Oilers) was spotted at the Bell Centre on Sunday. Could those Dustin Penner rumors be more than just that?

The other side of that is that the Canadiens allowed it to happen the way they did. When Price has to take a roughing minor against Milan Lucic, in his own defense after being crashed, you know there is something wrong. A lack of emotion is also a question posed to the Canadiens, especially Martin who shows absolutely nothing from the bench and really needs to in a game like that one.

Things didn't really change in the third period, as the teams each scored a pair of goals. It clearly wasn't Montreal's night, and you have to wonder what they will have left in the tank after a flight home to face the New York Islanders on Thursday.
"We came out slow, and they took advantage," was how Canadiens captain Brian Gionta summed it up. "A lot of important points were on the line, and you saw what happened."

It was the first time that Carey Price allowed eight goals in a game in his career. To be honest, I thought Jacques Martin should have pulled the franchise goalie after the second period. Sure it was still a two-goal game, but at this point the team in front was not ready. Martin likely felt he was handcuffed though, with Alex Auld likely to start Thursday. But why not give Auld a period and have a possible option to start Price against New York?

If there was one positive that the Canadiens can build from, it was that they scored four power play goals in ten opportunities. The Habs had been on a 0-for-22 stretch with the man advantage. A honorable mention goes to Yannick Weber, who finally scored his first NHL goal of the season.

Opinions on the game from the side with the temporary bragging rights at Stanley Cup of Chowder

Oh, and cue the Gainey bashers: Michael Ryder had two goals, one called back and 3 takeaways against his former team.

Another reason I hate the man between the benches: I don't like he idea of the TV networks using a guy between the benches to talk to the coaches during the game. Pierre McGuire approaching Claude Julien after the brawl midway in the second period had to be the most inappropriate time I've ever seen this happen. Can you imagine someone like him going to Fred Shero, Don Cherry, or Scotty Bowman in a situation like that in the '70s?

Three Stars: 1. Nathan Horton 2. Milan Lucic 3. Michael Ryder"

"He shaved his head and shed his gloom...."

Edited by DPR4444 on 02-10-11 07:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
49 Online Now
0 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 48 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Minneapolis Cops detain man" with 44 replies.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.089 seconds.   Total Queries: 87   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 11:14 PM