hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 4 1234
Username Post: Bob Costas Uses Death Of NFL Player To Advance Gun Control Agenda        (Topic#537977)
Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 15902
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 11:04 AM - Post#1490141    

His last line was something to the effect of: If he didn't have a gun they would both be alive.

Ever hear of knives Bob?

Come to the South Side or West Side of Chicago sometime Bob. Dozens upon dozens of people are getting shot and killed each week. And we have some of the most stringent gun control laws on the books.
When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties they lead their country by a short route to chaos. - St. Thomas More

Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24428
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 11:09 AM - Post#1490142    

In response to Kanrok

I am not against gun control (at least making it harder to get a gun), but regardless of views, this was an inappropriate abuse of Costas ability to reach a national audience and insert himself into a tragic story. I definitely lost some respect for Bob last night.

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15090
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 11:09 AM - Post#1490143    

In response to Kanrok

Is Bob Costas aware that he was speaking to Dallas Cowboys fans? Yeah, I'm sure Texas will give up their guns.

And who the fuck asked him anyway? He's a scumbag for exploiting a young man's suicide and the murder of his girlfriend as a platform for his political views. Eat a dick, Bob.

Though it baffles me how people can be so shortsighted. If someone wants to use a gun to commit a crime, they will do so, regardless of the legality of gun ownership. And in turn, making gun ownership illegal only encourages crime.

"Don't go to parties with metal detectors
Sure it feels safe inside, but what about
All those niggaz waitin' outside with guns?
They know you ain't got one"

-Chris Rock
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

Edited by Tim- on 12-03-12 11:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 11:20 AM - Post#1490155    

In response to Tim-

Totally cunty of Costas, who I've always really liked.

Cowherd got on the radio this morning suggesting that he talks about politics and whatever he wants to and that Costas should have his platform, too.

Problem with that is that people tune in to listen to Cowherd. People tune in to the show Costas is on for football, not to hear what Costas has to say about anything.

I am trying to step away from how much I disagree with the sentiment and take it for what it is, but it's still cunty to use these deaths to politicize the halftime of a football game.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 11:22 AM - Post#1490159    

In response to Tim-

• Tim- Said:
Is Bob Costas aware that he was speaking to Dallas Cowboys fans? Yeah, I'm sure Texas will give up their guns.

And who the fuck asked him anyway? He's a scumbag for exploiting a young man's suicide and the murder of his girlfriend as a platform for his political views. Eat a dick, Bob.

Though it baffles me how people can be so shortsighted. If someone wants to use a gun to commit a crime, they will do so, regardless of the legality of gun ownership. And in turn, making gun ownership illegal only encourages crime.

"Don't go to parties with metal detectors
Sure it feels safe inside, but what about
All those niggaz waitin' outside with guns?
They know you ain't got one"

-Chris Rock

Cornbread. Ain't nuthin' wrong with that.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7852
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-03-12 01:40 PM - Post#1490193    

In response to PuckRogue

Never, ever liked Costas to begin with. He suffers from little man's disease. This is just more of the same from the little twerp.

Edmond Dantes
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5341
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 04:09 PM - Post#1490251    

In response to Pete

+1 Pete; always felt precisely the same way about Costas.
'take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor' -Fred Shero

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 2613
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 04:16 PM - Post#1490253    

In response to Edmond Dantes

He ought to shut his small make up wearing mouth. Ron and Nicole weren't killed by a gun. I still will bet the bow and arrow have killed more people.

irish_66
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8016
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 04:29 PM - Post#1490256    

In response to HenryHanson

Costas fucked up....we all know Springsteens politcal views, but I have never heard him say anything political at a concert. Not the time and place Bob...you fucked up
"Dave Brown is important to this team. He's the best at what he does."-Dave Poulin

Edited by irish_66 on 12-03-12 04:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rangfan
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9128
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 06:47 PM - Post#1490284    

• HenryHanson Said:
I still will bet the bow and arrow have killed more people.

Okay, how much?
"He is NOT Yankees material. He wouldn't look good in their uniform and doesn't fit the class or work ethic level. I see him as a lazy non pressure environment pitcher."

Huard, on CC

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 06:54 PM - Post#1490285    

In response to rangfan

• rangfan Said:
  • HenryHanson Said:
I still will bet the bow and arrow have killed more people.

Okay, how much?

Does one have accurate records of all killed by each weapon?

Kanrok
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 06:56 PM - Post#1490286    

The FBI keeps some awesome stats.
When statesmen forsake their own private conscience for the sake of their public duties they lead their country by a short route to chaos. - St. Thomas More

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 07:03 PM - Post#1490287    

In response to Kanrok

• Kanrok Said:
The FBI keeps some awesome stats.

I believe they are crooked. Plus I am talking since "day 1." I BET they don't know how many Mongols have been killed or Goths or Visagoths or Vandals. Or hoards of other hoards of barbarians.

One million dollars btw.

Costas is still a midget who ought to STF up.

Edited by HenryHanson on 12-03-12 07:04 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kanrok
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 07:29 PM - Post#1490291    

LOL.

In that case, God keeps the most awesome stats.

slickpuck
all star
Total Posts: 1404
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 07:37 PM - Post#1490293    

In response to Kanrok

I hate Costas. I never will figure out why the networks think the football audience wants to listen to "intellectual" idiots like him and Dennis Miller and that red headed twerp that used to announce SNF football games. Using the halftime show as a forum for his politics is wrong. People tune in to watch the game, not listen to asshats like him.
RIP #40

tmc
superstar
Total Posts: 3092
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 09:04 PM - Post#1490305    

In response to slickpuck

What a horrible thing to do,use a tragedy to your advantage.Canada has strong gun laws but hey,you want a piece, you can get one.Two more shot in Burnaby last week,by legal gun owners?NO.By gangbangers who are not concerned about an FAC.This M/S could have been done by various methods.What an opportunist.Will Costas apologize?Not likely.

444orr
veteran
Total Posts: 416
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-03-12 10:50 PM - Post#1490318    

In response to tmc

He works for NBC so no surprise...He shouldnt be anywhere near a football stadium as Baseball is his sport...Never liked the guy from the beginning...He made a complete fool out of himself...The comment about Chicago and the gun laws sums it all up perfectly.

John_P
superstar
Total Posts: 3643
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-04-12 09:09 AM - Post#1490382    

In response to 444orr

Bob Costas? That mother fucker!!! How dare he voice an opinion I disagree with? Who does he think he is? And what kind of Country does he think we live in where citizens can openly voice their opinions freely? What's next? Is a radio talk show host going to give an opinion on something? Disgusting!
"And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has, in showing that religion and gov't will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together." James Madison

Irons
superstar
Total Posts: 3432
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-04-12 09:14 AM - Post#1490383    

In response to John_P

• John_P Said:
Bob Costas? That mother fucker!!! How dare he voice an opinion I disagree with? Who does he think he is? And what kind of Country does he think we live in where citizens can openly voice their opinions freely? What's next? Is a radio talk show host going to give an opinion on something? Disgusting!

Rush Limbaugh was fired from ESPN for doing exactly this. Where was your outrage then?

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15090
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-04-12 09:22 AM - Post#1490384    

In response to John_P

• John_P Said:

It's not that we disagree with his opinion, or that he shouldn't have the right to voice his opinion. It's that there's a time and place for everything. And that this was done in poor taste.

If he wants to rant about guns, great. Ask NBC to have a PSA. Or put a video on the internet. Or go on one of their talk shows. Write an opinion column. But to do it during football? Come on.

And to use these people's deaths, so soon after the fact, as a platform to voice your opinion is just distasteful and highly disrespectful.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

Page 1 of 4 1234
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
61 Online Now
7 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 54 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.498 seconds.   Total Queries: 350   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 10:14 PM