hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Remembering Pearl Harbor 12/7/41        (Topic#538011)
KyleFreadrich43
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6983
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-07-12 04:49 PM - Post#1491372    

Just wanted to take a minute to remember those that lost their live on that tragic day.

Still amazing how many ships were salvaged from that attack.
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

haymaker36
Total Posts: 13955
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-07-12 06:36 PM - Post#1491396    

In response to KyleFreadrich43

The greatest generation in American history, IMO. They personified strength and endurance. Raise a glass, and as Jimmy Darmody would say, "to 'da lost!"

Also would have been my Grandmother Joyce's 85th birthday today. RIP Grandma. Her second husband was a pilot in WWII. RIP George Schrader.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

Maguire19
Total Posts: 18098
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-07-12 06:52 PM - Post#1491399    

In response to haymaker36

Glad you started this thread. I just dropped my daughter and her friend off at a school dance. We're pulling in and the flag is at halfmast. I say "oh...for Pearl Harbor". My daughter says "Whats that?". She's an almost 12 year old kid on the honor role. Her friend says "I know what that is, it's like a 3 hour movie". I couldnt help but burst out laughing. I made them both sit in the truck for a couple minutes so I can explain to them what the significance of Pearl Harbor is. They were annoyed as they watched all their friends walk into the dance while I kept them a couple minutes. I dont care. That was that generations 9/11.

Edited by Maguire19 on 12-07-12 06:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KyleFreadrich43
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6983
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-07-12 11:09 PM - Post#1491413    

In response to haymaker36

• haymaker36 Said:

Also would have been my Grandmother Joyce's 85th birthday today. RIP Grandma.

Coincidence. It would have been my Grandmother's 91st birthday. I wish we had more time, RIP.
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8258
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-10-12 09:12 AM - Post#1491729    

In response to KyleFreadrich43

Very little attention has been paid to the day of JFK's assassination and Pearl Harbor. This is where the media can help, but is failing us. Disgraceful. Thanks for starting this thread.

RIP to all who list their lives on the day that (was supposed to) live in infamy.

steeles21
Total Posts: 18889
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-10-12 06:07 PM - Post#1491836    

In response to Pete

I went to Pearl Harbor a few years again on Memorial Day. It was amazing to see.

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-10-12 07:31 PM - Post#1491844    

In response to steeles21

Every time we pulled into Pearl, we tied up on the opposite side of Ford Island from Battleship Row. We moored at the Raleigh pier. Crossing the old runway in the dark, you could still fall in some old bomb craters, and the air traffic control tower is still riddled with holes, as are some of the old hangers on the island. Oil is still seeping up from the depths of the Arizona, and it's always a little quiet on Ford Island.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

Spike
legend
Total Posts: 10767
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-10-12 07:36 PM - Post#1491845    

In response to Maguire19

• Maguire19 Said:
Glad you started this thread. I just dropped my daughter and her friend off at a school dance. We're pulling in and the flag is at halfmast. I say "oh...for Pearl Harbor". My daughter says "Whats that?". She's an almost 12 year old kid on the honor role. Her friend says "I know what that is, it's like a 3 hour movie". I couldnt help but burst out laughing. I made them both sit in the truck for a couple minutes so I can explain to them what the significance of Pearl Harbor is. They were annoyed as they watched all their friends walk into the dance while I kept them a couple minutes. I dont care. That was that generations 9/11.

It's shocking what our kids don't know.

I see orange people.

Wildenforcers.com
Veteran
Total Posts: 8212
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 08:01 AM - Post#1491993    

In response to Spike

Went to Pearl Harbor 4 weeks ago while in Honolulu on business. My grandfather was a Army Airmen stationed in Hawaii during the attack. He was not on base when it happened but saw the aftermath. Went to Ford Island to see the Mighty Mo, and the Pacific War Aviation Museum. Bullet holes are still present as a reminder.

Took the ferry over to the Arizona memorial, how moving, and absolutely quiet, no one talked. The oil still bubbling up from the ship is haunting.

Was glad to have taken the time to go there.
RIP Dad
10/15/42 - 10/13/08

RIP Derek Boogaard
1982 - 2011

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8258
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-12-12 01:09 PM - Post#1492039    

In response to Spike

• Spike Said:
  • Maguire19 Said:

It's shocking what our kids don't know.

Yup. We saw it again on November 6, 2012

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
53 Online Now
5 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 48 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "RIP Pat Quinn" with 22 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.268 seconds.   Total Queries: 193   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 12:00 PM