hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: The Hobbit: film 1        (Topic#538020)
Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24463
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-08-12 08:29 PM - Post#1491541    

I was in LA and NY last week. I got to see The Hobbit in 48 frames per second.

I am a huge fan of the books. I also liked the LOTR films. This film would be my fourth favorite of the series. I will mention the 48 frames below. The film itself suffers from dragging out the book. The book should never be a 3 part series. In fact, I think the book is the shortest of the series so I don't understand how it got put into 3 films. Actually, I get it, and that's money.

The film simply takes too long to get going and it lacks the seriousness of the other films and at times borders on the light hearted at the expense of quality, including fart jokes.

I would highly recommend you do not see the film in 48 frames per second. It's great for action scenes but the normal scenes suck IMO. It sort of looks like watching a film in 1.5 speed. Not a good choice by Jackson.

ed21
superstar
Total Posts: 4013
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-08-12 11:00 PM - Post#1491560    

In response to Mike

I did not know this was a three parter. I am not a huge fantasy fan, but when I was a kid, I really enjoyed The Hobbit, mostly because it was a stand alone, manageable story. I started the trilogy but never finished it because I lost interest during the first book.

I thought the movie trilogy was ok. I realize it was a masterpiece in film making, and I really enjoyed the visuals, but I'm just not that into complicated fantasy stories. So I was looking forward to going to see a simpler, much shorter story. I guess that is out.

"So I said, 'Listen pal, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for you grandmother, well she shouldn't have mouthed off to us.'" Homer Simpson

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-09-12 06:06 PM - Post#1491656    

In response to ed21

Well, you well get simpler. The Hobbit is more kid oriented than LOTR. However it has no business being stretched into 3 films.

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-16-12 01:47 AM - Post#1492783    

In response to Mike

The first film was. Awesome!
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

TGR32
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6173
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-16-12 04:20 AM - Post#1492790    

In response to Mike

• Mike Said:
Well, you well get simpler. The Hobbit is more kid oriented than LOTR. However it has no business being stretched into 3 films.

I was reading somewhere that to stretch it out they are incorperating some of his other writings into the third film. The Hobbit on its own should only be 2 movies and you could probably sqeeze it into one if you wanted to.

Cynics will call it a money grab while others who are fans of this type of stuff may like the additional material. I guess it all depends how good the third one comes out.

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8882
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-16-12 12:48 PM - Post#1492809    

In response to TGR32

Saw it with he kids yesterday, thought it was a fantastic movie, every bit as good as I hoped.
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

Dupre2003
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5186
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-16-12 03:23 PM - Post#1492828    

In response to taz

I really enjoyed it too.. Wasn't expecting it to be better than LOTR and having read the Hobbit I knew there wouldn't be as much action as LOTR... They added many good battle scened to keep your interest up.. All together very much enjoyed the movie.

Churla22
superstar
Total Posts: 3215
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-16-12 03:28 PM - Post#1492831    

In response to Dupre2003

Thought it was great!

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-16-12 05:37 PM - Post#1492850    

In response to Churla22

I took my older son to it yesterday. I liked it better on the 2nd viewing and not in 48 fps.

I would still rank it my 4th favorite of these films, but there are some things I liked a lot better:

1) the hobbits were not little gay whiney bitches that cry every 5 minutes.
2) the actor that plays Bilbo is head and shoulders above Elijah Wood as an actor. I liked the subtleness of his performance
3) Gandalf is more of a badass in the Hobbit then he is any of the other films

What I didnt like:

1) my main complaint was too much CGI. The action scenes were just so over the top at times it felt like wathing a video game. The original series best fight scenes were non-CGI scenes, like Aragorn chopping the Urukai's head off at the end of Fellowship. Almost all the fight scenes in the Hobbit are pure CGI with characters bouncing around like pinballs, falling down large caves and bouncing off rocks, which apparantly doesnt cause any serious injury in Middle Earth.

2) I also wasnt crazy about the big nutsack chin they threw onto the Goblin King. LOL

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-16-12 05:43 PM - Post#1492852    

In response to Mike

And although I didnt like it as much as the other LOTR films, I still liked it. I was entertained, and my son absolutely loved it. In fact has been doing a LOTR marathon session today.

I think the critics are being overly harsh on the film:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hobbit_an_unex...

65% critic approval rating is bullshit. Everyone of the LOTR films had an approval rating above 90%. The audience rating for Hobbit was 81% (or so), and that seems more on par with what I would expect the critics rating to be here. I wonder how many of the critics saw it in 48 FPS because it really made me like the film less than when I saw it again yesterday on the normal screen.

Engine33
superstar
Total Posts: 2703
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-17-12 07:56 AM - Post#1492939    

In response to Mike

Going to see this tonight, very much looking forward to it!

ROBBIE
superstar
Total Posts: 2685
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-17-12 09:54 AM - Post#1492957    

In response to Mike

Im probably a little off here but what do 48 frames per second means ?
"That's right... I've killed women and children. Killed just about everything that walks or crawled at one time, or another. And, I'm here to kill you, little Bill. For what you did to Ned."

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-17-12 09:57 AM - Post#1492958    

In response to ROBBIE

• ROBBIE Said:
Im probably a little off here but what do 48 frames per second means ?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,24037 46,00.as...
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

Fed29
all star
Total Posts: 1587
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-17-12 09:08 PM - Post#1493078    

In response to Kramer

Will probably go watch this on Christmas day. Was,nt a big fan of the first six hours that they could of put in one 2 hour movie. Not to mention the big gay stare at the end of the 3rd film.

Engine33
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-18-12 06:44 AM - Post#1493129    

In response to Fed29

Saw this last night. I thought it was a good movie, but it wasn't as good as the first 3. I thought Bilbo was very good in his unassuming role. Gandalf was great as always, as were the Galadriel and Elrond.

I didnt like how drawn out the movie was at times. It seemed like large portions 10-15 minute segments were unnecessary at times.

I didnt mind the CGI, as i thought it looked good, but having real actors would've been better, but it was done well i thought. I also didnt like how the main characters never got hurt falling or how the wooden catwalk doesn't break(you'll understand when you see it).

The main part i did not like at all, was how bilbo found the ring / first met Golem. It was not at all how it was portrayed in the first films.

Edited by Engine33 on 12-18-12 06:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-18-12 11:01 AM - Post#1493209    

In response to Engine33

His meeting of Gollum is almost a complete lift from the book. Dialogue and all. Keeping in mind that "The Hobbit" was written BEFORE "The Lord of the Rings"...
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

Engine33
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-18-12 11:51 AM - Post#1493234    

In response to Panzerrat

I didnt read any of the books, i just meant it didnt work with what was shown in the trilogy. I dont doubt that it was taken out of the Hobbit book directly, it was just different then what was shown. That's all.

Also Ian Holm did not look or sound like he did during the other films, which is minor, but it was a bit of a let down for me.

superstar
Total Posts: 4139
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-25-12 08:58 PM - Post#1494721    

In response to Engine33

I agree with Mike's sentiment that the critics are being overly harsh with this movie. I think it delivered in almost every way one could hope. I understand the criticisms, but I don't think a couple things like pacing or length are that big of deterrents. It is supposed to be a huge epic adventure after all. I also don't care for the formatting arguments either. Don't like the idea of 48 fps, go see it in one of the other like 4 formats its available in.

I do think that the acting in this movie is above the quality of the first trilogy. I think Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage are a better 1-2 than Wood and Mortensen. Very anxious to see these two develop their relationship over the next 2 films.

cementhead
captain
Total Posts: 855
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-06-13 11:16 AM - Post#1496728    

In response to Mike

took my boy to this and enjoyed it. agree that bilbo is very good. glad frodo left early in the film for his penn state recruiting visit. gollum was excellent. new years day and the theater was packed.
Profanity is a crutch of the ignorant motherfucker.

Arctaurus
all star
Total Posts: 1518
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 06:53 PM - Post#1496813    

In response to cementhead

Saw it in IMAX recently and I really enjoyed it once it started rolling. I agree it took a little bit to get it going in the beginning. Having not read the books there were some really exciting story lines going on, more then I thought.

Is it just me but i seemed the group got their asses kicked a lot. I mean they were defeated by a group of Trolls. How the hell are they suppose to take on a Dragon that routed a whole Kingdom.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.

Henry V - Shakespeare

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
46 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 46 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "RIP Pat Quinn" with 22 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.332 seconds.   Total Queries: 350   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 03:34 AM