hockey-fights.com
Username Post: North Korea’s Satellite Is Out of Control: Why This Is Very Bad News        (Topic#538043)
Cotton
Total Posts: 27596
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 05:11 PM - Post#1492085    

http://gizmodo.com/5968007/north-korea-s atellite-o...

After failing miserably on numerous occasions, North Korea has finally put a satellite in orbit. But according to US officials, it is now "tumbling out of control." This is bad news, and more bad news, covered in a double layer of extra bad news.
NORAD detected the launch yesterday at 7:49pm Eastern Time. The rocket passed over Japan on its way to orbit. Its first stage splashed down into the Yellow Sea, while the second one fell on the Philippine Sea. Soon after that, the United States and most countries with space tracking capabilities confirmed the launch success: whatever it was carrying, it reached orbit. According to Kim Jong-Un's regime, it's a "weather satellite" on a polar orbit, going in the same direction as an Earth meridian.

Except it's really going any which way: talking to NBC News, US Officials are saying that the "space object" is tumbling out of control.

Why it is bad news for everyone
The most obvious bad news is that this is quite dangerous, as this object has now become a collision risk to other satellites.

The first collision between two satellites happened in 2009, when an American 1,235-pound Iridium communications satellite—launched in 1997—collided with a dead 1-ton Russian satellite launched in 1993. At the time, NASA blamed the Russians.

The collision wasn't only bad for the functioning Iridium, but also to everyone else. Space is a big place, but it's full of trash. And like that accident proved, collisions happen.

We can track small pieces of debris, but space crashes generate particles that we can't monitor. The thousands of objects that may result from such an accident put other satellites, spaceships and the lives of astronauts at risk.

The other bad news is that, while nobody really knows if this is a satellite or not, all countries are assuming it has been an attempt to disguise the test of a three-stage intercontinental ballistic missile. One that can easily reach the United States or Russia. And it worked.

The only bit of good news is that the lack of precision that probably led to a spinning satellite is proof of North Koreans' ineptitude when it comes to design and control these long-range weapons. Putting an ICBM in space is not all you need to, say, drop a couple of nuclear warheads over Los Angeles. You need precision guiding systems for that, something that Kim Jong-Un's boffins don't seem to have mastered quite yet.

But then again, a nuclear warhead falling anywhere will definitely be very bad news anyway, no matter how precise it is.
"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right an keeps on a-comin."
-creed of Texas Ranger Captain W. J. McDonald

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 05:36 PM - Post#1492093    

In response to Cotton

I cannot stop staring/laughing at that GIF.
"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right an keeps on a-comin."

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 05:38 PM - Post#1492094    

In response to Cotton

That whole country would be dust in about five seconds if they were an actual threat.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

BillyH
all star
Total Posts: 1032
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 05:43 PM - Post#1492099    

In response to PuckRogue

Read Escape from Camp 14 if you want to see how freaking nuts that country is.

Sask66
captain
Total Posts: 841
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 06:38 PM - Post#1492109    

In response to BillyH

Don't make fun of the world's most handsome man.

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15137
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 07:25 PM - Post#1492121    

In response to Sask66

Yeah, it's so terrible that a country wants to use space. I mean, it's part of the USA, right? Rofl

Btw, does anyone believe it's out of control? It seems to me to be nothing more than American propaganda to get fools on board with another war.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

Edited by Tim- on 12-12-12 07:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Fotiu
Total Posts: 15727
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-12-12 07:31 PM - Post#1492127    

In response to Tim-

Chumlee is a great ruler. Don't mock him.
Is Roy Innis gonna have to choke a bitch?!

TGR32
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6076
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-13-12 06:49 AM - Post#1492205    

In response to Tim-

• Tim- Said:
It seems to me to be nothing more than American propaganda to get fools on board with another war.

You really think the US wants to go to war with N. Korea? No way. N. Korea is a dilemma for the US. To go to war against N. Korea would risk the escalation into a war with China. We're talking regional war if not a potential world war. I don't think the US can afford that and I hate to say we may not be in good shape to fight that war right now. Not to mention what would Russia do if if war broke out between China and the US?

I think what they want is for China to control N. Korea before things get that bad or hope (if war does break out) for a limited N. Korea vs S. Korea conflict that was instigated by N. Korea so they would hope that China would not intervene.

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9612
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-13-12 07:22 AM - Post#1492211    

In response to TGR32

Dangerous country as they showing with this way as they are very smart but also dangerous country possible to other countries if they start fuck em with North-Korea.
I wouldnt want to be a North-Koreas hater.
Remember peoples one thing which is most important; remember to love all, even if/although they might not be very good but dark.

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-13-12 09:12 AM - Post#1492218    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:
That whole country would be dust in about five seconds if they were an actual threat.

-PR

They are a threat in this case by their ineptness IMO. They have some piece of shit flying around up there in the same area as our satellites. That is a problem IMO. Whatever that thing is (attempted weapon IMO) poses more of a threat due to it being out of control and possibly crashing into our stuff.

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-13-12 09:31 AM - Post#1492224    

In response to Fotiu

• Gill Said:
Chumlee is a great ruler. Don't mock him.

"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

Big Gibby Tex
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8525
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-13-12 09:39 AM - Post#1492225    

In response to Kramer

My favorite story of his is that he claims to have made 11 hole-in-ones the very first time he played a round of golf, on the way to shooting something like 34 under par.

He and Chuck Norris should hang out.

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-13-12 10:11 AM - Post#1492231    

In response to Big Gibby Tex

My hope is we sent this thing up:

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/artic le/286637...

So we could have someone attach boosters to it and send it out into fucking deep space. Fuck NK!

BillyH
all star
Total Posts: 1032
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-13-12 12:16 PM - Post#1492244    

In response to Big Gibby Tex

Gibby-

The golf story is greatness. Now I know I have something in common with the Dear Leader, but I only had 10 holes in one, my first time out.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
31 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 31 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Stage 1 - Round 5 - Who makes the Top 50?" with 43 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.25 seconds.   Total Queries: 256   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 04:31 AM