hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Craig Berube as a Flyer        (Topic#538161)
johnz
legend
Total Posts: 13620
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 11:38 AM - Post#1495471    

Whats the general consensus for Craig Berbue in his Flyer days? I guess it makes me curious because I hear Flyer fans talk about him "some", but I hear more about Brown, Bridgman (for obvious reasons), Holmgren, etc....but even when he WAS a Flyes, I always admired Berube and Tocchet. Dirty, tough, and really good fighters- for Berube, was there any other player who fought wide open with a young, hungry, PRIME Bob Probert, and whooped him twice? Fighting open like that?

I always thought his fast hands and strength were impressive- but I need to know more about him. What were his bad losses as a Flyer? His biggest wins besides Probie? Where do you guys have him ranked amongst his peers during his Flyer days?
"Pitching is really just an internal struggle between pitcher and his stuff. If my curve ball is breaking and I'm throwing it where I want, the batter is irrelevant." - Steve Stone

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9612
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 12:10 PM - Post#1495482    

In response to johnz

Interesting man to rank bec he had weak and strong moments but with Flyers jersey he was great fighter and with Caps jersey he wasnt that great always.
He got McSorleys numbers and had draw with Byers as he got revenge over him in Round2 but he got pounded by J.Miller i remember.
MaCDermid and Pilon with upset wins over him but in longer serie those "bastards" would have lost to Berube for sure.
Berube TKO'd a Baumgartner which is too one of his strong moments with Flyers jersey and his one victorty over Probert+ two draws but later Probie scored more the wins as he won the serie in the end.
Fast hands i agree, offensive style as he wasnt easy to neuthralize but strong elite guys was more poison to Berube usually but he still got McSorleys numbers.

johnz
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 12:18 PM - Post#1495486    

In response to juha82

H wasn't the same fighter after Philly, which is why Im wanting to focus on those early years specifically.
"Pitching is really just an internal struggle between pitcher and his stuff. If my curve ball is breaking and I'm throwing it where I want, the batter is irrelevant." - Steve Stone

playoffbeard
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9302
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-30-12 12:25 PM - Post#1495489    

In response to johnz

As a young Flyer he put a quick beat down on Domi with the Rangers. He got that right hand started and took the clear win.

Didn't he also TKO/flash knockdown Bomber while with the Flyers?
Fuck you. I hope you get cancer - Matt Dillon

johnz
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 12:45 PM - Post#1495493    

In response to playoffbeard

Thats a great example of how good a fighter he was- he not only beat Probert- all the while fighting Proberts fight- he beat Domi fighting Domi's fight, and knocked him down, which was a rare feat in Domni's early days especially.

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18801
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 02:23 PM - Post#1495510    

In response to johnz

Yeah, he put Bomber down in LA in that game that had all those fights. Berube had the fastest hands I could remember. Remember he had two stints with Philly. Why do people think he was different after he left Philly? I thought he was still pretty good in Toronto, Calgary, and early in Washington.

Berube vs Gary Roberts fight in Toronto could be one of the most unmentioned best fights ever.

johnz
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 03:14 PM - Post#1495516    

In response to Matt Dillon

I think he was always pretty good, but at his best in his 1st stint in Philly- where I think you can make a case for a top 3????

irish_66
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8250
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 04:07 PM - Post#1495527    

In response to johnz

He was very impressive as a Flyer. His first stint he defeated Probert twice, one time breaking Probies nose. He really got the better of Domi as well and Bomber as previously stated. He lost badly to Byers, which was his worst by far. One of my favorite fights was his beating of Troy Mallette where he lifted him over the boards after beating him and I loved how he fought for the team. The brawl where Baron busted open Al Iafrate was a result where Berube ran Beaupre after chicken shit Hunters cheap shot on Gord Murphy. A flyer legend imo.
Gretzky to Hextall after Hexy stoned him on a breakaway in Hexy's first game:"Who the hell are you?"
Hextall's response:"Who the hell are you?"

Baldridge
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8092
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-30-12 06:17 PM - Post#1495545    

In response to irish_66

Cotton,Berube's rookie stint in 86-87 was much better than his sophomore stint in 87-88......

In 87-88 he took those two severe beatings in the same game against Byers and Miller.(Hextall scored 1st goal).He also looked outmatched against Gord Donnelly twice in the same game.....

I agree with you that in 88-89 he looked like a different fighter,so much so that the Flyers delt Brown to the Oilers.I've said it in here before,but I have a Tocchet interview from the infamous March 89 game where Berube dropped Bomber and had a draw against McSorley,and Tocchet said,"Chief took on their toughest guy (Baumgartner) and beat him.I think he the toughest in the league right now (Berube) and he proved it tonight.".....Berube also made Poescheck look foolish that year when Rudy was holding his own with everyone his rookie season....

Berube's worst loss as a Flyer was against MacDermid in 90,imo.He got dropped with a left and ate a few before that......

Berube was borderline Top 5 in the league as a Flyer,imo.He dropped off pretty quick as a Cap but still was around Top ten until mid 90's.....
I don't hate you because you're fat....You're fat because i hate you.......

juha82
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-31-12 02:52 AM - Post#1495622    

In response to Baldridge

Why no one of you hadnt mentioned a fact that Berube got McSorleys numbers when he was in the Flyers?
Yes he got Domis numbers.
Berube put two beatings on McSorley in his Flyers days.
HE also beat twice a Poeschek.
Got raped by Byers but took a revenge but still Byers was better in that serie bec he scored out a decisive win over Berube as Berube scored a narrow win over him.
Berube had close tilt with T.Crowder but hadnt seen the bout but i have seen few calls from that fight(narrow win Berube and 2 draws).

Edited by juha82 on 12-31-12 03:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-31-12 01:00 PM - Post#1495697    

In response to juha82

Berube didn't have McSorley number as a Flyer, they fought twice as far as I remember. The first was a clear draw and second fight a year later wasn't much, I would agree with the slightest edge to Berube, but wasn't anything to say Berube had his number. NEITHER WERE BEATINGS!!!!

Berube and McSorley were actually always pretty even, Berube dis drop Marty when he was a Cap and Marty was a Penguin, but overall very close series.

Off memory, Daneyko and Beukeboom seemed to always fight Berube tough when he was a Flyer.

Overall is his career, Paul Laus owned Berube.

Edited by Matt Dillon on 12-31-12 01:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

daveh8
superstar
Total Posts: 4017
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-31-12 02:22 PM - Post#1495724    

• Matt Dillon Said:
Berube didn't have McSorley number as a Flyer, they fought twice as far as I remember. The first was a clear draw and second fight a year later wasn't much, I would agree with the slightest edge to Berube, but wasn't anything to say Berube had his number. NEITHER WERE BEATINGS!!!!

Berube and McSorley were actually always pretty even, Berube dis drop Marty when he was a Cap and Marty was a Penguin, but overall very close series.

Off memory, Daneyko and Beukeboom seemed to always fight Berube tough when he was a Flyer.

so a one punch dropping of mcsorely is either a "slightest edge" to berube or a "draw"?

irish_66
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-31-12 02:40 PM - Post#1495732    

In response to daveh8

agreed, Berube didnt own Mcsorley, but never lost to him imo. If I recall, Chief had a tough time with Jay Caulfied actually,(pains me to say that.)
Gretzky to Hextall after Hexy stoned him on a breakaway in Hexy's first game:"Who the hell are you?"

Edited by irish_66 on 12-31-12 02:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

daveh8
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-31-12 03:06 PM - Post#1495735    

In response to irish_66

guys he dropped him with one punch.

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-31-12 10:32 PM - Post#1495790    

In response to daveh8

• daveh8 Said:
  • Matt Dillon Said:

so a one punch dropping of mcsorely is either a "slightest edge" to berube or a "draw"?

I said he dropped Marty, but that when he was a Cap. Marty also hammered Beube their last fight. Both fights when Berube was a Flyer were very close..

Berube hammered Caufield both fights I remeber them having. Caufield did give Chychrun fits tho.

irish_66
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-01-13 09:21 AM - Post#1495819    

MD, agreed my friend, it was Chcyrun.

juha82
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-01-13 09:52 AM - Post#1495823    

In response to irish_66

Berube scored two wins over McSorley for sure i remember.
Thats it. AMEN.

daveh8
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-01-13 09:58 AM - Post#1495826    

• Matt Dillon Said:
  • daveh8 Said:
  • Matt Dillon Said:

I said he dropped Marty, but that when he was a Cap. Marty also hammered Beube their last fight. Both fights when Berube was a Flyer were very close..

guys i stand corrected, it was bomber that berube dropped in LA. my bad.

Baldridge
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8092
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-01-13 06:25 PM - Post#1495893    

In response to daveh8

Berube also had impressive wins against Domi,Kimble and Crowder as a Flyer......

Although the footage of it isn't very good,Wendell Clark put Berube down with one punch.I believe Berube's helmet was broken from the punch if i remember........
I don't hate you because you're fat....You're fat because i hate you.......

Matt Dillon
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-01-13 07:57 PM - Post#1495904    

In response to juha82

Juha,

Both fights were close fights.. i gave both draws. Noway he he own Marty or give him a beating. Get knowledge kid.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
58 Online Now
2 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 56 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Palin Brawl" with 33 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.307 seconds.   Total Queries: 343   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 06:02 PM