hockey-fights.com
Username Post: The 92-93 San Jose Sharks - the most beat up team, EVER?        (Topic#538201)
zolika
veteran
Total Posts: 446
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 12:34 PM - Post#1496743    

Man I am nearing the end of the 92-93 Sharks DVD and wow, this team was a disaster as far as the fighting goes. In just his 2nd season as a franchise, the 91-92 team was a pretty tough team with the likes of Gaetz, an impressive Odgers, and veterans like Coxe, McGill and Perry Anderson (OK, Coxe didn't do much and Anderson was boring, but still they bring toughness here). The 92-93 Sharks was a tough team in paper, leading with a very impressive Odgers (he was very good in his first season, destroying Raglan and winning fights against the likes of Kypreos, McRae, Manson, Jay Wells and many more. No beatings in his losses and very good showings against Kordic and others), a mid-season pick ups like Maley, Byers and with rookies like Doug Zmolek and Robin Bawa. Yes, they lost Gaetz but still, the team looked like he could hold his own. In reality, they sucked really bad.

So long story short, here is the list of the players they fought regularly:

Odgers: the main combatant, Odgers was able to pick up an 'impressive' 3 wins total in 19 fights. He barely beat McSorley and Peluso (a similar scrap they had in 95-96, but was a bit shorter and less decisive)and scored a clear win over Hughes. Most of the time he had boring scraps with Odjick, Pearson, Bourque or Primeau that lasted only a few seconds and not much happened. In the remaining of the fights he suffered some pretty big beatings. May boxed him up pretty good, he clearly lost against a very average Warren Rychel and suffered two HUGE beatings near the end of the season: Domi pounded him in a rare non-televised fight which was similar to the Brown-Kyte fight from the 90-91 playoff and he suffered his first KO loss from McSorley. Not only he was boring in most of the fights, he barely won and got beaten several times.

Huge disappointment, especially if you consider how good he looked in his first year.

Byers: the super HW veteran who was considered as the main guy during Nov/Dec. He won two close fights against Rychel and then what happened? Odjick kicked the crap out of him before he faced Debrusk, who absolutely destroyed him. The Hatcher was in between and was the nail in the coffin. He played just 18 games, but it was enough as he was sent down in December after the brawl filled Van-SJ game where he didn't even scrap.

Once a good HW showed he can't hang with the young guns anymore.

Doug Zmolek: possible the worst rookie season anybody had. Started his season with a Rychel jumping and then lost to him very clearly in a regular fight. Then he showed no offense against Mellanby and Dirk and stopped fighting for two months. Then returns to have boring scraps with Stern 2x and Buchberger where he threw like 6 punches total in a combined 90 seconds (yes, i counted it). Then has better showings against Kocur and Debusk in fights that he clearly lost and ends a season with a one-punch fights against Berube and Lindros (Berube knocking him out). No wins, like 10-12 losses and a couple of draws against punching bags.

The worst thing that he barely threw punches.

Maley: probably the best acquisition as he had a dandy with Marchment, a rare good fight in a Sharks team that year. He still ended his season with a one punch TKO loss to Berube though.

Zettler: what a punching bag! The guy rarely put up a fight and his best fight was when Odjick landed on top of him and started elbow him, MMA style. His showing versus Valk and Lindros was embarassing and Diduck and Iarfate also beat him up in scrums, where there were linesmen.

Evason: the victim. He turtled/got attacked 3 times with the likes of Pavel Bure!!!, Churla and Bautin. Most of the times his teammates needed to jump in. He lost his only two fair fights against McTavish! and Rob Blake!!!

Bawa, Wilkinson, More, Wood- The most promising was Dody Wood, but he barely bear Jim Paek, got hammered by Vukota, and lost clearly to Ryan McGill and Dean Kennedy. Not a performance to be proud of, honestly. Bawa had only three fights, his best perfomance against Loewen and losing two scraps against Gill and Cam Russell. A reputed tough guy with very little success. Wilkinson was back after the Berube beating, but this time he lost to Kocur and Domi while scoring a total of 0 wins in just 5 fights. More was able to get wins against such tough guys like Kevin Todd Jim Hiller. His toughest opponent was Keith Tkachuk. The guy had a pretty decent AHL fightcard, yet in the NHL he had high PM numbers and basically a nothing fightcard. Probably an older version of Bieksa, just not as talented.

And here it is: the team had unofficially 90 fights and the only bright point where the Maley-Marchment fight + the Odgers-Peluso scrap + More beating up some non-fighters. They were KOed/TKOed/KD/dropped more than 10 times + countless clear losses without showing up. Shriko-Berezan were beat up + other non fighters as well without much response. Odgers was very disappointing and the rookies, pickups were major disappointments as well.

So guys, this is probably the most beat up team ever, not counting soft teams ala Red Wings?

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 2805
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 01:25 PM - Post#1496755    

In response to zolika

Yeah they fought a lot and had a new arena or one in the works. Plus they were new to the league. One could not disregard the myopia nor the noise. Wasn't Kyte a part of that felonious action?

zolika
veteran
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 01:30 PM - Post#1496757    

In response to HenryHanson

Kyte joined the Sharks in the 94-95 season and didn't do that bad like this team.

I know they were new in the league, but in their first season they were much better, probably because of Gaetz. But Odgers was a LOT better as well.

I forgot to add Larry DePalma, a pretty reputed WHL tough guy from the 80s. His lone fight came against Dirk, where he embarassingly turtled at the end.

Just another loss.

Giz
legend
Total Posts: 10108
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 02:02 PM - Post#1496765    

In response to zolika

In fairness to Zmolek, coming straight from the college ranks, he was learning on the job in the big league.

zolika
veteran
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 02:10 PM - Post#1496768    

In response to Giz

Yep, Zmolek showed a TON of heart when he instigated fights with the likes of DeBrusk and Kocur after he got schooled in every fight. Even the fan who captured the linebrawl between the Canucks and Sharks was screaming how Zmolek needs to do some boxing before he gets killed. In that linebrawl Slegr beat up Picard and another Russian wrestled Evason down just after Odgers and Odjick had a non eventer.

Man that team was beat up a lot. Even Paul Coffey from the Kings beat up John Carter lol!

johnz
legend
Total Posts: 13620
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 02:40 PM - Post#1496774    

In response to zolika

This is the team that refused to call up Kerry Toporowski, when the Hawks traded him. Hawks were STUPID not to call him up, because he's have been better then Kimble, and the Sharks were stupid not to call him up. I know he was a difficult guy at times, but he would have provided a spark.
"Pitching is really just an internal struggle between pitcher and his stuff. If my curve ball is breaking and I'm throwing it where I want, the batter is irrelevant." - Steve Stone

johnz
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-06-13 04:41 PM - Post#1496792    

In response to johnz

Im out of it...he would have been better then Kimble, because he was a Hawk this year. Back to La-La land/
"Pitching is really just an internal struggle between pitcher and his stuff. If my curve ball is breaking and I'm throwing it where I want, the batter is irrelevant." - Steve Stone

zolika
veteran
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-07-13 05:18 AM - Post#1496859    

In response to johnz

• johnz Said:
This is the team that refused to call up Kerry Toporowski, when the Hawks traded him. Hawks were STUPID not to call him up, because he's have been better then Kimble, and the Sharks were stupid not to call him up. I know he was a difficult guy at times, but he would have provided a spark.

So when was Toporowski sent to SJ? Because i kept reading his statistics and he never played for Kansas and he had his leg broken by Fletcher I think in the 91-92 season and returned one year later, in the same team in January. He played only like 20 games.

Edmond Dantes
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5354
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-07-13 08:08 AM - Post#1496872    

In response to zolika

Toporowski was drafted by the Sharks and traded to Chicago prior to the '91-92 season (along with a 2nd round draft pick) for Doug Wilson.
'take the shortest route to the puck and arrive in ill humor' -Fred Shero

Baldridge
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8158
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-07-13 06:43 PM - Post#1496983    

In response to Edmond Dantes

The 88-89 Penguins were a punching bag also.......Caufield,Loney,Zemlak,Phi l Borque......
I am finnish young man, Juha Suomesta.

johnz
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-07-13 07:29 PM - Post#1496993    

In response to zolika

• zolika Said:
  • johnz Said:

So when was Toporowski sent to SJ? Because i kept reading his statistics and he never played for Kansas and he had his leg broken by Fletcher I think in the 91-92 season and returned one year later, in the same team in January. He played only like 20 games.

I was out of it- I automatically associate that season with Topper, the Sharks, and the Hawks. It was the Hawks who wouldn't have him up that year after trading an icon in Doug Wilson. He got in a coupe nice fights with Dave Mackey in pre-season and Pat Foley was laughing on the radio side, saying something to the extent, " This kid really ENJOYS getting in these fights!". He was cut with the last group of cuts, and it really pissed me off. We were w/out Manson and they were letting Peluso be a punching bag- would have rather seen Toporowski. Ive said many times here though- he was a bad student to guys like Grant Mulvey- he literally wouldnt take instruction and I'm sure the reason why he never made the NHL.

Cotton
Total Posts: 27599
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 01:14 PM - Post#1497179    

In response to johnz

The 98-99 Flyers were dreadful. Roman Vopat, Luke Richardson (who had a late career comback, but was brutal this season), and Collin Forbes. Ugh.
"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right an keeps on a-comin."
-creed of Texas Ranger Captain W. J. McDonald

Baldridge
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8158
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 06:54 PM - Post#1497260    

In response to Cotton

• Cotton Said:
The 98-99 Flyers were dreadful. Roman Vopat, Luke Richardson (who had a late career comback, but was brutal this season), and Collin Forbes. Ugh.

It's funny,when Mr. Snider was asked if he was concerned about team toughness,he replied we are tough enough.The next week they got McCarthy and later Berube...........lol
I am finnish young man, Juha Suomesta.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
40 Online Now
2 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 37 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" with 38 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.215 seconds.   Total Queries: 238   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 12:36 AM