hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Who's Going Up?        (Topic#538215)
Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16634
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 08:46 AM - Post#1497091    

With the lockout over it'll be interesting to see what AHL enforcers get the call to National Hockey League teams and how often they will play. The top fighters in the American League include Steve MacIntyre(Pittsburgh), Joel Rechlicz (Phoenix), Brett Gallant (Islanders), Patrick Bordaleau (Colorado), Anthony Peluso (St Louis), Brandon Bollig (Chicago), Jay Rosehill (Anahiem), Eric Neilson (Tampa) , Jimmy Bonneau & Fraser McLaren (San Jose).

MacIntyre should get the call at some point if not to start the shortened NHL season but how much he will play remains to be seen.

Wrecker's been on the cusp of making it for some time now but hasn't had the right opportunity in Washington. Hopefully he'll step into Phenoix and provide Yotes fans with the type of entertainment on the ice that Paul Bissonnette seemed to reserve for Twitter more often than not.

Brett Gallant has been fighting up a storm and appears to have finally landed a full time AHL gig. An NHL callup is unlikely this season though given that the Islanders organization after abandoning the toughness they built up for a couple of seasons last year when they iced a pussy lineup for the most part they have re-loaded with heavyweights Matt Carkner and Eric Boulton to go along with Matt Martin. There's not going to be any room there for Gallant barring injury or a circumstancial spot duty call up this year. He's doing a great job taking things one step at a time though and seems to have parlayed his ECHL career with AHL spot duty into a now full time AHL gig where he's quickly established himself as one of the top heavyweights at that level as well. If he continues on the track he's on, we may see him in the show at some point although he's not the type of player the NHL is looking for these days.

Patrick Bordeleau is guy who outside of MacIntyre is probably as dangerous a fighter as anyone in the American League. He's just a monster physically and he rarely loses. His commitment to the role and his fight card has long been called into question by me at least as I don't think he fights nearly as much as he should but everytime his gloves do come off he continues to win and impress. The Avalanche have no real toughness to speak of and if Minnisota have Konopka going in tandem with heavyweight Matt Kassian and the Canucks give Zack Kassian a full time role with Hordicuk still on the go in Edmonton, Colorado and Calgary stand out as the two pussy teams of that division. Bordeleau could quickly change that outlook for the 'Lanche and if Calgary would re-sign MIA Unrestricted free agent PL3 it would really round out the division nicely.

Anthony Peluso is another monster who can be devistating when the gloves come off. It will should be a bit more difficult to crack the Blues Roster with Reaves handling the heavyweight duties and a fairly solid group of gritty players who have one of the better examples of "team toughness" around the league with several players be it lightweights or middleweights, willing to drop the gloves if need be. Peluso is a true Heavyweight though and if Nashville play McGrattan regularly and Chicago have Bollig running around there might be an opportunity there for Peluso to get a shot at some point. Brett Ponich could also fill in effectively for Reaves should he get hurt at any point on defense.

Brandon Bollig should be starting the season with the Blackhawks. He was impressive last season in a run that looked like it was well on his way to landing him a full time job by fighting everyone in the regular season that he could and even seeing some ice in the playoffs he should be back when the season starts and ready to go.

Jay Rosehill I would expect to get the call in Anahiem. With Parros gone to Florida and Rosehill having established himself as a solid NHL level enforcer with some speed and hockey skill to go with it, I would expect he'll assume the enforcer role in Anahiem. He has a great work ethic and he's got some skill, he's fearless and willing to fight anyone and can hold his own against anyone with the gloves off but he also hits everything that moves and has high energy shifts that can sometimes change up the momentum even without a fight. He should be Bruce Boudreau's type of enforcer moreso than the more one demensional type of guy who Bruce tended to bench more often than not in recent years.

Eric Neilson is a legit AHL top 10 heavyweight as well but the likelyhood of him seeing any NHL action is very slim at this point. I think he has an AHL contract so Tampa would be more likely to go with Labrie if they were looking to add some toughness to their pathetic NHL roster of pussies. Keith Aulie should get the call and be a bit of a bright spot there as he can fight quite well and is solid on the point. I'm still bitter that Toronto let him go.

The Sharks have all kinds of options for toughness in their system but who they'll bring up I guess remains to be seen. Jimmy Bonneau is probably the best fighter but the least likely to get the call as he's a totally one demensional fighter. Frazer McLaren however can play some hockey and can scrap. He seemed like he was sure to have an NHL future before injuries through his career off track but he seems to be healthy again and hopefully will get a look at some point. Brandon Mashinter will probably be the first to get the call and he has all the tools to be a solid heavyweight fighter at any level but his willingness and comittment to the role remains the biggest question mark that surrounds him. He's a decent hockey player and a very good fighter and could probably take the enforcer role in San Jose if he wants it but if he doesn't, the organization has several other guys like McLaren Bracken Kearns and Kurt Gogol who may not have the physical gifts Mashinter has for the role but are decent and extremely hungry and willing to dowhatever it takes for an opportunity. Sena Acolatse and Matt Pelech are also in Worcester on Defense and they might be in line for an NHL opportunity should the Sharks not end up resigning Jimmy Vandermeer.

Dylan McIlrath has began fighting a fair bit at the AHL level all of a sudden after a quiet start and some injury problems. He's looked good in his fights so far and it'll be interesting to see if the Rangers decide to have a look at him at some point this season. In the meantime Michael Haley should get the call from the get go to assume the role vacated by Brandon Prust. Speaking of Prust, he'll make his new home in Montreal and carry the load for them but perhaps at some point the Habs will have a look at Jared Tinordi this year as well.

Hopefully Colton Orr will be back with the Leafs and not the Marlies when the season starts but if he isn't Toronto will have no toughness at all. Mark Fraser's been a plesant surprise for the Marlies with the success he's had with his gloves off and I wouldn't mind seeing him on the blueline in Toronto, riding shotgun for Orr of course. That would then open the door on the farm for Jamie Devane to take the next step and move from the ECHL where he's been knocking out everyone he fights to the American League where he'd face a little more competition.

"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

coalinga
all star
Total Posts: 1345
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 09:10 AM - Post#1497098    

In response to Drunk_24-7

As a bruins fan I'm looking at MacDermid and Robins. I get the feeling that the bruins look at MacDermid as a replacement for Thornton in the future. Someone who can fight the big guys without getting slaughtered and hopefully do really well against the light/"not-super"-heavies . Since Robins arrival in Providence though MacDermid has really calmed down. Perhaps there's room for that if he is to work on his positioning and skating which will be needed if he wants to be "the new Thornton". Either way I expect a few call ups.

Bobby Robins on the other hand is not an NHL-player. However I wouldn't be surprised if he get a call up anyway. The intensity he has played with is incredible. We did a thread on Robins - he's on pace for over 50 fights and on top of that has close to 40 points in roughly an 82-game season (spread over the last 2 AHL-seasons). A call up as a thanks from the franchise is not impossible.

coalinga
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 09:40 AM - Post#1497106    

In response to coalinga

Forgot about Kevan Miller. From what I've read he's had 2 really good seasons as a solid d-man. He only has 2 fights this year though (8 last season) so he's probably not relevant in this thread...

ThememanXX
all star
Total Posts: 2454
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 10:07 AM - Post#1497114    

In response to coalinga

MacIntyre's playing in WBS on a PTO. He'll have to clear waivers to keep playing in the AHL. That should be interesting. Anyone need the top heavyweight on a nightly basis on their NHL roster?

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12288
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 11:04 AM - Post#1497130    

In response to coalinga

• coalinga Said:
As a bruins fan I'm looking at MacDermid and Robins. I get the feeling that the bruins look at MacDermid as a replacement for Thornton in the future. Someone who can fight the big guys without getting slaughtered and hopefully do really well against the light/"not-super"-heavies . Since Robins arrival in Providence though MacDermid has really calmed down. Perhaps there's room for that if he is to work on his positioning and skating which will be needed if he wants to be "the new Thornton". Either way I expect a few call ups.

Bobby Robins on the other hand is not an NHL-player. However I wouldn't be surprised if he get a call up anyway. The intensity he has played with is incredible. We did a thread on Robins - he's on pace for over 50 fights and on top of that has close to 40 points in roughly an 82-game season (spread over the last 2 AHL-seasons). A call up as a thanks from the franchise is not impossible.

Not gonna happen dude,Bourque will get 3rd line duty over an injured caron and the 4th line stays in tact and the return on Horton,hope im wrong though

coalinga
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 11:07 AM - Post#1497133    

In response to cashman rulz

• cashman rulz Said:
  • coalinga Said:

Not gonna happen dude,Bourque will get 3rd line duty over an injured caron and the 4th line stays in tact and the return on Horton,hope im wrong though

Robins is wishful thinking I'll willingly admit. But you don't think MacDermid will get a call up for a game or two?

Pitbull 28
captain
Total Posts: 868
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 11:49 AM - Post#1497146    

In response to coalinga

Drunk, good call on Devane. It was just announced that the Marlies have called him up. They play the bulldogs tonight so he should be able to find a dance partner in Stortini or Hagel.

dirty
superstar
Total Posts: 3095
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 11:52 AM - Post#1497150    

In response to Pitbull 28

Nice thread, Drunk. I should at least pay a little more attention to hockey. I had NO IDEA the Islanders signed Carkner & Boulton. I guess if I go to a Predators game this year I'd choose NYI(if they play them at home). You'd have to figure McGrattan would fight one of them.
Many black people have gone around saying cracker -chaser
I have never had a guff with Stortini -McKenna
most people have a deep fryer and a turkey fryer -Huard
My favourite actor Nigolas Cage-Juha

cashman rulz
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 01:50 PM - Post#1497187    

In response to coalinga

• coalinga Said:
  • cashman rulz Said:
  • coalinga Said:

Robins is wishful thinking I'll willingly admit. But you don't think MacDermid will get a call up for a game or two?

Yes i think we will see him for sure or Knight

haymaker36
Total Posts: 13890
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 01:51 PM - Post#1497189    

In response to dirty

• dirty Said:
Nice thread, Drunk. I should at least pay a little more attention to hockey. I had NO IDEA the Islanders signed Carkner & Boulton. I guess if I go to a Predators game this year I'd choose NYI(if they play them at home). You'd have to figure McGrattan would fight one of them.

All games will be inter-conference, so those two teams will not match up at all.

Drunk: Great topic. One obstacle for Rosehill will be Brad Staubitz, who the Ducks signed before the lockout.

As for the Sharks, I think McLaren has the best chance out of all the guys you mentioned. I'm really bummed Acolatse just broke his jaw, because he would have at least gotten a look in training camp.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

KyleFreadrich43
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6930
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-08-13 02:08 PM - Post#1497194    

• Drunk_24-7 Said:
Eric Neilson is a legit AHL top 10 heavyweight as well but the likelyhood of him seeing any NHL action is very slim at this point. I think he has an AHL contract so Tampa would be more likely to go with Labrie if they were looking to add some toughness to their pathetic NHL roster of pussies. Keith Aulie should get the call and be a bit of a bright spot there as he can fight quite well and is solid on the point. I'm still bitter that Toronto let him go.

Barring injury, BJ Crombeen will have the job in Tampa Bay.
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

playoffbeard
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9162
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-08-13 07:18 PM - Post#1497262    

In response to Pitbull 28

• Pitbull 28 Said:
Drunk, good call on Devane. It was just announced that the Marlies have called him up. They play the bulldogs tonight so he should be able to find a dance partner in Stortini or Hagel.

Devane is not in the lineup tonight for the Marlies. Will probably see more ice time next week once camp opens. Same goes for Brad Ross (agitator type guy) who has been riding the pine all year as well.
Fuck you. I hope you get cancer - Matt Dillon

Drunk_24-7
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-13 09:39 PM - Post#1497280    

In response to playoffbeard

I think Robins will get a shot at some point, I just don't know if it will happen yet as the Bruins are already one of the toughest teams in the league with plenty of depth in that department. He could fill the role of a Greg Campbell at some point or even act as a likable but very poor man's Brad Marchand as he's got nowhere near the hockey talent but can play an effective pest. Unlike Marchand though he'll back it up every step of the way. His game reminds me a lot of Derek Dorsett and Derek Parlayed that type of play into a full time roster spot and a pretty successful season last year. Robins is on the right track. Nobody would have pegged this kid to go any further than the ECHL and he's already established himself as a valuable AHL asset for the P-Bruins. His work ethic and intensity level is awesome out there and he's a fun and entertaining player to watch. The couple of Providence games I watched he played every shift like his last and when he wasn't fighting he was hitting everything that moved or running his mouth at somebody. In today's NHL you don't have to be that great a fighter to hang with most people anymore. There's only a handful of guys that would be out of his league having done fairly well with Rechlicz, Gallant, McLaren etc. and there's many a quasi fighter in the league that he'd have at least a 50/50 chance of beating on most nights. I think his work ethic, attitude, heart and willingness as both a fighter as well as an ever improving hockey player should present him an opportunity at some point. He's much faster than the bigger, more one dimensional heavyweights. Zack Rinaldo is another guy his game reminds me of. I think the Bruins are the right organization to give him a shot but now is just not the right time because they have too much depth in that department. They have Marchand to play their pest and he's a pest that can pot you 30 goals. Thornton is their heavyweight and he's probably the most effective all around heavyweight in the league. Then they have Lucic one of the best power forwards in the league who can fight as well as Greg Campbell who's the more willing sort of lightweight, quasi fighter who can play a bit. If he gets hurt at some point maybe they'll have a look at Robins but I would think McDermid will be the first call up for anything fighting or toughness related that the Bruins are looking for. I'd love to see Bobby get a shot even for a game or two though because he really deserves it. They don't make em like him too often anymore. I can't recall seeing that kind of heart out of a youngster coming into the NHL since the late Rick Rypien. Brandon Bollig's been about the nicest breath of fresh air in the last year or two but he has a way more natural size and talent than Robins. I'm pulling for this kid to get his shot but I don't think it'll likely come this year.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

coalinga
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 09:34 AM - Post#1497346    

Good post Drunk!

Just a detail but an interresting one: Robins is gonna be 32 this year. No kid by any means. What I'm hoping for is a... my english is limiting me so this is probably a bad way of expressing it... a "sympathy call up". As in a call up to a veteran player that at 31/32 has taken huge leaps in his career and plays with the passion of a 17 year old rookie.

Drunk_24-7
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 02:35 PM - Post#1497473    

In response to coalinga

Right on. Similar to what the Sens did for Frankie Lessard last season. By whatever means I'd love to see him get a game or two in the show in at some point because he works harder than 90% of the people playing in the league today.

cashman rulz
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 07:57 PM - Post#1497570    

Forwards Chris Bourque, Ryan Spooner, Lane MacDermid, Jamie Tardif, along with defensemen Matt Bartkowski and David Warsofsky were invited to camp.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
69 Online Now
6 viewable users and 2 hidden plus 61 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Possible Fights 9/28/14" with 40 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.249 seconds.   Total Queries: 285   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 01:16 PM