hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 3 All123
Username Post: Leafs Fire Brian Burke!!!        (Topic#538225)
Brawls16
legend
Total Posts: 11881
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 11:37 AM - Post#1497392    

Just in....
#1 - Brian McGrattan (Champ)
#2 - Jay Rosehill
#3 - Luke Gazdic

Fighter of the Year - McGrattan
Rookie of the Year - Gazdic
Fight of the Year - Lucic vs Rechlicz

Edited by Brawls16 on 01-09-13 12:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10529
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 11:49 AM - Post#1497398    

In response to Brawls16

Odd timing. I'm guessing the reason they fired him had to be something unrelated to the Leafs performance. Otherwise, they would've fired him in April, 2012.

He built a team just good enough to not get the 1st overall pick and not good enough to make the playoffs, a kind of team he once said you don't want to be. On top of that, he'll always be remembered for the Kessel trade. Not sure if it was his fault completely that his bosses wanted a playoff team, but I will say that the firing seems deserved.

One thing is for sure, he'll find work again. As bad a job as he did in Maple Leaf town, someone will recognize the job he did in Vancouver and Anaheim and give him a shot to do the same for their franchise.
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

Brawls16
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 11:51 AM - Post#1497399    

In response to Brawls16

Sorry Burke, but you backed off your stance of playing a tough team and joined the Euro-Trash revolution....and you couldn't even do that right.

Tim Connolly and Mike Komisarek? Really?

Nazim Kadri? Really?

James Riemer and 'Monster'? Really?

Two 1st round & a 2nd round pick for no-nutts Kessel? Really?

Burke fucked up big time....and I was big on the guy.

He's an idiot. All talk and no walk.
#2 - Jay Rosehill
#3 - Luke Gazdic

Edited by Brawls16 on 01-09-13 11:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ChiBoyinLA
all star
Total Posts: 1159
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 12:11 PM - Post#1497413    

In response to Brawls16

#thankyoukessel
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 12:31 PM - Post#1497422    

In response to ChiBoyinLA

Total idiot.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Peatycap
Total Posts: 28443
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 12:31 PM - Post#1497423    

In response to ChiBoyinLA

I wonder if he'll catch on somewhere else.

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18801
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 12:35 PM - Post#1497425    

In response to Peatycap

• Peatycap Said:
I wonder if he'll catch on somewhere else.

Sure he will, but why? Guy talks out of both sides of his mouth when it comes to tough guys.

BlockerBrothers
all star
Total Posts: 1376
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-09-13 12:49 PM - Post#1497432    

In response to Matt Dillon

Long overdue but the timing is odd but then again, the Leaf's have done some odd stuff in the past so why stop now.

If they give Nonis the title, I would question that also as in my opinion he in a lot of ways is another Burke and given how much time the two of them have worked together, I don't get it. I would have done both at the same time and started fresh versus canning one and moving up the clone. Nothing against Nonis but he needs to get out of the Burke shadow and stand on his own.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 12:55 PM - Post#1497433    

In response to BlockerBrothers

• BlockerBrothers Said:
Long overdue but the timing is odd but then again, the Leaf's have done some odd stuff in the past so why stop now.

If they give Nonis the title, I would question that also as in my opinion he in a lot of ways is another Burke and given how much time the two of them have worked together, I don't get it. I would have done both at the same time and started fresh versus canning one and moving up the clone. Nothing against Nonis but he needs to get out of the Burke shadow and stand on his own.

Nonis and Burke are completely different. Nonis doesn't believe in toughness at all and is basically the bean counter/negotiator.

I suspect even the Leafs ownership will be smart enough to look for a proven GM.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 01:06 PM - Post#1497435    

In response to Canucko29

Oh wow. Reading the TSN.ca news, it appears you may be one up on me Blocker. And I overestimated the intelligence of the Leafs ownership.

Gonna be interesting to see how this impacts the Luongo bargaining efforts. Nonis was the one who traded for him in 2006, which was his only good move as GM of the Canucks (that and drafting Grabner, which Gillis made irrelevant). Maybe Nonis will be trying to relive his one great moment as an NHL GM. I doubt the results would be the same this time around.

Huard28
Total Posts: 30197
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 01:23 PM - Post#1497443    

In response to Canucko29

One rumor out there is they fired Burke because he REFUSED to trade for Luongo, and Leafs brass want Luongo at all costs. They put Nonis in the role because he has successfully traded for Luongo before and is a "Luongo guy" and will now acquire him again.

LOL fucked up in Toronto if this is true. Burke had nothing to work with. Yes he made some bad trades, but he got little chance. He should land somewhere else soon, maybe in Buffalo when they fire Darcy Reiger soon enough, hopefully!
"I never participate in the game anymore. It doesn't work. I am too bad. I only fight". - Link Gaetz

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18801
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 01:23 PM - Post#1497444    

In response to Canucko29

Does it matter if he anti-toughness? Burke pretty much was for last 2 seasons.

foolish
captain
Total Posts: 636
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 01:36 PM - Post#1497446    

In response to Matt Dillon

Burke staying on in advisory role.

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12370
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 01:45 PM - Post#1497450    

In response to foolish

Better not be around the bruins!

BostonTerror
superstar
Total Posts: 3996
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-09-13 01:56 PM - Post#1497453    

In response to Huard28

• Huard28 Said:
One rumor out there is they fired Burke because he REFUSED to trade for Luongo, and Leafs brass want Luongo at all costs. They put Nonis in the role because he has successfully traded for Luongo before and is a "Luongo guy" and will now acquire him again.

LOL fucked up in Toronto if this is true. Burke had nothing to work with. Yes he made some bad trades, but he got little chance. He should land somewhere else soon, maybe in Buffalo when they fire Darcy Reiger soon enough, hopefully!

Interesting rumor. The shit show that's been the Leafs continues - I wonder if this guarantees Luongo in a Leafs sweater.
"The stars are birdies' footprints..."

- my oldest

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15137
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 02:16 PM - Post#1497464    

In response to BostonTerror

Weird.

I like Burke, a lot. I think he was handcuffed though. He wanted a tough team, the ownership didn't, and the league isn't the same. Carlyle is a great coach though and has a good relationship with BB. I'm sure Burke was a big reason why Randy came in. Shame.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 02:30 PM - Post#1497467    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:

Somehow this got missed. Burke is now senior advisor to the president.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Brawls16
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 02:49 PM - Post#1497477    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:
  • foolish Said:

Somehow this got missed. Burke is now senior advisor to the president.

-PR

Rumour is this is just to shut Burke up for the time being as the new ownership and GM revamp what they can for the fast approaching season.

Burke apparently pissed off quite a few people in Toronto and the best way to keep him from running his mouth off is to keep him on the pay roll.

Think about it. This is a new ownership that didn't want Brian to run the Leafs, but they keep him onboard to help out? Doesn't make sense.

He'll be let go when ever halfway through the season is. They're just keeping a lid on Burke, for now.

Brian has no input on the Leafs at all anymore, 100%.

Just a ploy.
#2 - Jay Rosehill
#3 - Luke Gazdic

Edited by Brawls16 on 01-09-13 02:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16711
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-13 02:59 PM - Post#1497482    

In response to Brawls16

Bizarre. I can't say I care too much as he brought the team no success in the standings, failed to get them to the playoffs and put together a roster last season that had me turn away from hockey completely for the first time in my 31 year life. With Orr in the Minors, Rosie riding the pine and the most pathetic assortment of gutless, heartless, emotionless, talentless losers to ever throw on the sweater I was completely disgusted with the team and the game in general to the point I stopped watching. I can't say Burke is the sole reason for that. I put most of the blame on Ron Wilson during the year and I always admired and respected what Burke did everywhere else in his career before coming to Toronto. I was excited when we got him, disappointed in his tenure and now I'm basically complacent about his exit. I guess my fear is that whoever is next, especially if it's Nonis will be even worse and make the team even softer and even more unwatchable so that I can never come back as a fan. On the other hand, it was so bad last year that I stopped watching the NHL all together and couldn't bare to endure the frustration of what a Leafs game would deliver in place of entertainment, so can it really get any worse? If so it doesn't really matter as I won't be around to watch it any way. Hopefully Carlyle realizes the importance of having some toughness, Orr returns and plays regular and perhaps Mark Fraser can crack the lineup as well to give the team some respectability even if they do suck and if the Luongo deal happens and he can get them to the playoffs better still. I'm not optimistic that this will change anything in Toronto as I don't really think Burke was the problem but last year's squad was unwatchable so at this point, I'm all for any change they want to make at all, including the end of Bruke.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

playoffbeard
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9305
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-09-13 03:08 PM - Post#1497484    

In response to Drunk_24-7

So essentially nothing has changed. Nonis has been the de facto Leafs GM for a while. It was common knowledge that it was Nonis who made the Phaneuf trade, that it was Nonis who made the Kaberle trade to the Bruins, that it was Nonis who made the Lupul deal. Burke has been the Leafs mouth piece for a while, with Nonis doing the leg work behind the scenes.

I must admit, I find the timing slightly odd, but that's pretty much status quo with the Leafs franchise of late.

Makes no difference to me. I will still be glued to the TV January 19th when the season opens, tossing back jars and yelling at the TV.

Fuck you. I hope you get cancer - Matt Dillon

Page 1 of 3 All123
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
70 Online Now
4 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 66 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Palin Brawl" with 37 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.338 seconds.   Total Queries: 350   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 09:50 AM