hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Oscar Nominations Announced/ Golden Globes        (Topic#538235)
Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24428
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-13 10:44 AM - Post#1497749    

http://movies.yahoo.com/oscars/nominees/

I have seen a good chunk of the films nominated. My favorite was Silver Linings Playbook followed by Zero Dark Thirty and then Django.

Some people who got screwed IMO. Leo and Sam Jackson didnt get nominated for Django. Both were amazing and worthy of recognition.

I also cannot understand how Kathryn Bigelow got slighted as Best Director. That ones makes no sense to me.

I also think Lincoln is the most overrated film of the year. Great performances, but fuck was it boring.

BlockerBrothers
all star
Total Posts: 1262
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-10-13 11:07 AM - Post#1497761    

In response to Mike

I need to get out more. I haven't seen one of the nominated movies. Django was one I wanted to see but just haven't gotten around to it.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10057
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-13 11:20 AM - Post#1497769    

In response to BlockerBrothers

And Tarantino got jobbed on the Best Director nod, as well.

Ang Lee and Spielberg are two guys who play to the Oscar committees and have become darlings of sorts. Even crap like Warhorse gets more recognition from the Oscar committee than real works of art. I honestly think that a movie's cinematography, soundtrack and the solemness of its material areprobably the biggest drivers for oscar nominations. If you're gonna pick 10, I find it hard to believe that Looper doesn't get a nomination or a best original screenplay nod (though not surprising).

I haven't seen Zero Dark Thirty. I know that Ebert gave it only three stars recently, criticizing it for being too much for focussing on the capture of OBL rather than the politics of the middle east. I think I will be checking it out. If Biggelow didn't get a Best Director nomination, then that probably means the movie doesn't win Best Picture (same with Django).
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 2

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-13 11:30 AM - Post#1497776    

In response to Canucko29

I dont agree with Ebert's review. The film is about the hunt for Bin Laden, not the politics of the Middle East. It goes through a nearly decade long process of how they finally caught him.

Other criticism I have read about the film was the portrayal of torture in the movie. A lot of the experts that were behind the effort to capture Bin Laden said torture had almost nothing to do with catching him. I dont know if that is a "covering their ass" comment, or a legit criticism. Its still a really good movie regardless.

Sask66
captain
Total Posts: 827
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-13 04:18 PM - Post#1497858    

In response to Mike

Regarding Bigelow, her ex Cameron said when she was nominated for "The Hurt Locker" that the award was soon to be hers because she was a woman. So maybe there is still a bit of lingering feeling about her award last time, warranted or not.

Add to that the field day the press is having with the possibility that the torture portrayed in the movie did not lead to the courier in real life, and the misrepresentation they feel about it. Even UK papers like the Guardian are going at it tooth and nail. Then again one of the Canadian diplomats who sheltered the Americans during the Iran 79 mess just died last week, and his son went on the say that the events portrayed in "Argo" made little mention of his fathers real contribution, really distorting history and events.

For those north of the border and maybe places elsewhere, just wanted to add DVD screeners are available for most of these flicks through torrents, as we're all tuxedo wearers and members of the academy on these boards anyway.

Edited by Sask66 on 01-10-13 04:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 2613
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-13 05:58 PM - Post#1497896    

In response to Sask66

I also haven't watched the usual number of movies this year as I have in the past years. The Dark Knight Rises getting SO is a surprise. I thought Moonrise Kingdom was great, it too got SO. I saw Bernie and Ted, two separate films of course. Shut out, too, if I am correct. ( Me senses a trend here )

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-13 06:00 PM - Post#1497898    

In response to HenryHanson

The Master basically got blown out too other than Hoffman's nom.

I will admit I didnt see that film but some people love it and others hate it. I heard the acting is amazing though.

Twist 'n Belak
superstar
Total Posts: 3516
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-10-13 11:05 PM - Post#1497963    

• HenryHanson Said:
I also haven't watched the usual number of movies this year as I have in the past years. The Dark Knight Rises getting SO is a surprise. I thought Moonrise Kingdom was great, it too got SO. I saw Bernie and Ted, two separate films of course. Shut out, too, if I am correct. ( Me senses a trend here )

Ted got a nom for Best Song, Moonrise Kingdom for Original Screenplay I think.

I've heard rave reviews about Jack Black's performance in Bernie so I'm shocked he got snubbed. He did get a Golden Globe nom though.

Also did Meryl Streep take a year off? She's nominated damn near every year.
formerly Belak_2 aka Bleka...

DOWN GOES BRASHEAR!

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 2613
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-11-13 05:23 PM - Post#1498199    

In response to Twist 'n Belak

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

The Master is one of those films which has most/all of the main actors nominated but not for Best Picture.

One can go to a site and find all the winners of past and find some interesting stats. If I remember Network won all the acting awards but not Best Picture. Cabaret won a boat load but not Best Picture. I go to an Oscar Party for the past ten years or so and I do a quiz which is too esoteric for the crowd. I do get them every year with this question: What year was Philadelphia nominated and or won for Best Picture?

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-13-13 09:41 PM - Post#1498664    

Anyone watching the Golden Globes tonight?

Some surprises.

Lena Dunham is such a fat disgusting pig. Her show is good, but she is pure class with the evening dress and back tats. God.

The Jodie Foster coming out speech/ not coming out speech was absolutely bizarre. Just weird.

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-13-13 10:26 PM - Post#1498673    

In response to Mike

Happy to see Argo win over Lincoln. Lincoln almost put me to sleep. Argo was far more interesting and entertaining.

And Tommy Lee Jones has to be the grumpiest man alive.

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7852
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-14-13 10:19 AM - Post#1498712    

In response to Mike

• Mike Said:
Anyone watching the Golden Globes tonight?

Some surprises.

Lena Dunham is such a fat disgusting pig. Her show is good, but she is pure class with the evening dress and back tats. God.

The Jodie Foster coming out speech/ not coming out speech was absolutely bizarre. Just weird.

Lena Dunham is grim. About the only on screen nudity I have ever regretted seeing. On par with Kathy Bates' hot tub scene.

Badlands92
legend
Total Posts: 12377
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 10:22 AM - Post#1499243    

In response to Pete

I know a lot of you guys like Stern, so what's with this pitiful apology of his? Did he get heat from upstairs? Within days he's now a huge fan of her show? LOL

Stand by your words, man.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=785204&...

Howard Stern apologizes to Lena Dunham

Howard Stern has invited Lena Dunham onto his radio show, by way of an apology, after calling her "a little fat girl."

Stern made cracks about the "Girls" star/creator on his Sirius-XM broadcast last week, calling her a "camera hog" and "a little fat girl who kind of looks like Jonah Hill." Dunham insisted she was unfazed by his remarks, telling talk show host David Letterman, "I did find out that Howard Stern really hates ['Girls']. I'm a Howard Stern fan, and I really think that he has earned the right to free speech and he should just go for it."

However, Stern's opinion on the series has changed, and he now wants to make peace with Dunham, who won a Golden Globe on Sunday for Best Television Series - Comedy of Musical, and Best Performance by an Actress - Comedy of Musical. On Monday, he said on-air, "I felt bad because I really do love the show 'Girls' and enjoy it, and I admire the girl who writes it ... so I said to [producer Gary Dell'Abate], 'Would you please contact Lena Dunham and please tell her that I would like to explain myself to her on the air and apologize to her?' Because I do love the show and it makes me feel bad that she is getting the impression that I somehow think she's just a talentless, little fat chick.

"It took me a while to get there and all of the sudden I went, 'This show's really, really funny. I like it.' I kind of just started liking the show. And I've done a whole 360 (sic) on the show and I really admire the girl who writes it, and I actually like when she comes on camera ... I'm a superfan now. I really love it. I almost went to the premiere the other night."
I expect to play every day. That's our job. You go out there every day and contribute in some way.

- Jason Kendall, May 5, 2010

Pagey
legend
Total Posts: 12824
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-16-13 10:26 AM - Post#1499246    

In response to Badlands92

Not a Stern fan myself, but it seems like he basically changed his mind after watching her show. What's so bad about that?
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Badlands92
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 12:11 PM - Post#1499302    

In response to Pagey

So liking a show means she's not a fat girl who looks like Jonah Hill?

I'd say I don't follow the logic there if there was any to follow.
I expect to play every day. That's our job. You go out there every day and contribute in some way.

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7852
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-16-13 12:14 PM - Post#1499304    

Maybe she'll come in and blow him.

Badlands92
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 12:16 PM - Post#1499306    

In response to Pete

Isn't that what Robin is for?

Hike
Veteran
Total Posts: 6059
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 12:29 PM - Post#1499311    

• Badlands92 Said:
So liking a show means she's not a fat girl who looks like Jonah Hill?

I'd say I don't follow the logic there if there was any to follow.

No, she's still fat and looks like Jonah Hill, but maybe he no longer thinks she a "talentless little fat chick".
When you have bacon and eggs for breakfast, the chicken makes a contribution, but the pig makes a committment

Badlands92
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 12:34 PM - Post#1499313    

In response to Hike

Ahhh, there you go. Well then, eat your heart out Howard.

I tip my cap to a comedian like Jeff Ross. He crosses the line in his comedy, but doesn't apologize. He didn't back down from his Aurora jokes. I respect that.

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 01:35 PM - Post#1499333    

this doesnt totally add up. Howard has seen the show prior to the Golden Globes. He specifically mentioned the show in his criticism and said something about her constant nudity being akin to rape (for the viewer) and that Dunham was a camera hog who would not share the screen with her colleagues. So, somebody got to Howard and got him to change his mind, and it wasnt the show.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
51 Online Now
7 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 43 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.488 seconds.   Total Queries: 346   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 05:06 PM