hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 3 All123
Username Post: 2013 Vancouver Canucks.        (Topic#538285)
tmc
superstar
Total Posts: 3115
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-14-13 08:39 PM - Post#1498857    

Today the Canucks signed Vandemeer as a 7-8 guy,he probably will not get a lot of time,or play in the minors mostly.

To be honest I have no idea what to expect out of the Canucks this year. I know cheering for them brings some shrapnel on this site, but fuck it, bring it on. Go Canucks.

Forward - The Sedins/ Burrows are about the only line that is set Media is talking about Ebbetts playing second line center because of Kesler injury, I thought Higgins or Lapierre would slide in for sure. Either way thin at center. Then you got Kassian. This is a huge opportunity for him. In a 48 game schedule he is young enough to pound it every night, even in a condensed schedule. The 30+ crowd will feel it more. Hansen will not be the question Malholtra is, hasn't seemed the same since the eye surgery,his loss hurt that year. Mason Raymond. Is he still here? I think bottom 6 is open for anything. Wiese will toss a few, win some lose some. Still some questions to be answered.

Defence - Bieska, Hamhuis and Edler are a good core. Ballard is a guy who played400+(?) games without an injury then comes and gets the Canuck curse. If something can fuck up it will. With Salo gone, Tanev should have a regular spot.

Goalie - Well Schneider starts and who knows with the Luongo trade eventually what will happen. Eddie Lack is injured last I heard and the cupboard seems bare in the minors. Some forward help with a Luongo trade, and a healthy Schneider would be good,but injuries can happen at any time and this could be an issue.

I can see this team making the playoffs but how far they go I do not know. Things will have to fall into place, with a short schedule and key injuries they may not even get there. This year should be interesting on a lot of teams.

I am sure the toughness will be the same, very little. I'll not be paying to see a game,but will watch on tv. I am still pissed a bit,so I haven't followed much since the end of last season, which may be evident in this post. Saturday night hockey still rules in Canada. I should be fully invoved by the 20th game.

There are more knowledgeable Canuck fans on this site so they can point out any exclusions, or facts I have missed on Vancouver. Let the Canuck hatred begin!

GO CANUCKS!!!!!

Sal
captain
Total Posts: 995
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-14-13 09:22 PM - Post#1498871    

In response to tmc

Canucks d is looking good with newcomers garrison and barker as well. You're right they are thin at center but hopefully a Luongo trade will help bring back someone to help until Kesler gets back. Ebbett has been putting up good numbers in the a and Kassian has been pretty solid. Hopefully they both can bring it in the bigs. Pretty optimistic at this point but like you say anything can happen especially in a 48 game season. Werent the wild near the top halfway through last year? Anyway my prediction luongo to the Flyers , Canucks Flyers final, Philly sweeps and Lu gets the smythe and cup. Would be about our luck.

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-14-13 09:40 PM - Post#1498880    

In response to Sal

I forgot Garrison, Barker I never put in to importance on the d he is a 5-6-7 guy on this team. I also forgot Volpatti if he is healthy he will add some toughness too. I think Toronto will get Luongo. Kassian sat for a game with Chicago for dogging it from what I've heard. Hopefully that is not an issue. He has the total package, let's hope he seizes this opportunity. Maybe Schroeder will get a try at center this year.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10529
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-14-13 09:59 PM - Post#1498882    

In response to tmc

It's a very difficult team to defend (actually impossible), but I must say that even if they are full of unlikeable turds, they have invited some of the most exciting hockey games over the last two years (Chicago-Vancouver series's and Boston-Vancouver finals). They're the team everybody roots against. And, honestly, they are probably the best team we've ever had. For three straight years, we've been beaten by the champs. In the early early 90s, we were usually beaten by the runners up or the team beating us lost in the coference finals (Chicago in '95 or Edmonton in '92). For a flimsy cursed franchise, this team is as good as it gets, even if they aren't the most exciting to watch in the fight department.

Speaking of which, Kesler's injury probably means the Canucks will probably dress another fighter on the fourth line (Pinizotto, Volpatti [hopefully] or Bitz). Last year, the forth line was very good to start the year with Weise and Volpatti on the wing with Lappiere. I'll take a stab at it and say that that will be the line again this year with Bitz and Pinizotto not far behind.

I'm really looking forward to Kassian. I don't expect him to be the resident heavyweight and nobody should. As a 13th overall pick, he is expected to rack up points and be a top-six forward in this game. I will be looking to see how he handles himself on the ice.

Again, I expect another division title and probably top 2 finish in the conference standings. After that, it's all up in the air. Given how Schneider looked all of last season and in his three games against LA, all signals point to him becoming an elite goalie in the game. If he plays like he did against LA, then we should be good to go for at least a long playoff run and hopefully better.
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9612
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-13 02:48 AM - Post#1498895    

In response to Canucko29

Canucks looks about good but where is toughness?
Sedin twins needs to get tougher mentally.

Holmgren
superstar
Total Posts: 2880
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-15-13 01:51 PM - Post#1499009    

In response to juha82

Barker is terrible, slow and lazy as hell.
I see Blue! . . . He looks glorious!

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-13 08:03 PM - Post#1499091    

In response to Holmgren

• Holmgren Said:

He's a ham n egger that's for sure.

He's coming off an ankle injury that limited his games last season and has seemed to regress from his Chicago days. At 26 hopefully he has something left to prove.It is said a d - man takes a few years to develop, hopefully he can. May be good in a 5-6 d man miute role.

Sal
captain
Total Posts: 995
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-13 08:18 PM - Post#1499094    

In response to Holmgren

• Holmgren Said:

Damn, my buddy from Edmonton claimed he was the worst dman in the league last year, big shot that about it. Also Booth out 4 to 6 weeks. Not good in a shortened season. The Luongo trade watch continues...

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-13 08:43 PM - Post#1499102    

In response to Sal

Booth had adequate production last year, he'll be missed but not severely. Does heighten the importance of the Luongo deal. Booth will help upon return, and the deal should be done by then.Hopefully we will receive some forwards for Luongo that would make Booth earn his way back into the line up. He has to produce more this year.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-13 10:16 PM - Post#1499122    

In response to tmc

Higgins and Hansen are much better forwards than Booth. Hansen can backcheck and make up for the offense. Same with Higgins. Kesler is the one who will be missed.

The Canucks need to start making way for people like Kassian and Shroeder to make their way into the lineup. This could be a positivie. It also opens a 4th line spot for a guy who will fight. In some ways, I'm happy Booth is getting a break.

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-13 10:37 PM - Post#1499131    

In response to Canucko29

For all the hype around Booth arrival, he was adequate at best. He caused more excitement in this city with his bear hunting photo than on the ice.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-13 10:48 PM - Post#1499143    

In response to tmc

LOL. I almost forgot about that photo. It's just too bad he's a better shot off the ice than he is on the ice.

Ogie
legend
Total Posts: 11437
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 09:17 PM - Post#1500891    

In response to Canucko29

Already a goalie controversy in BC?
"Buy me a soda after the game."

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-13 08:39 PM - Post#1501311    

In response to Ogie

Quite the start. AV must do what's best to keep his job this short season. A slow start can be deadly. Goalie controversy?.... NAH...

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-13 09:39 PM - Post#1501330    

In response to tmc

Speaking of goalie controversies, Mike Gillis said recently in an interview that he has had a potential deal lined up and it’s "not who anybody thinks it is," which definitely throws a wedge in the trade rumours, for sure. You gotta wonder who that player is and what the hold-up is.

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-13 10:10 PM - Post#1501342    

In response to Canucko29

If he's got a deal he should pull the trigger, otherwise it is all for not. All the talk, all the trade hype, he has to stick to his decision. Schneider is the guy, it seems reasonable to keep RL at this time but Schneider has to take the reins. Get some talent for RL, and be done with it. CS should start against Calgary. Three game trip after the Flames, Ana/ SJ/ LA could be a lot to ask to climb out of a 0-2-1 start if they lose to Calgary. Strange to say, but this is a big game for Vancouver.6 games is 12.5% of your schedule, you need more than 3-4 points.

They need a solid start from Schneider. For whatever reason the Ducks always play well in Van. the result did not surprise me. If he doesn't get on his game the media will give him a minute or two before showing the goalie graveyard Vancouver can be. I have not heard who the starter is but I am hoping CS. Very important game for his development in the #1 role. AV has a big decision to make.

DPR4444
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5164
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-22-13 02:26 PM - Post#1501594    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
Speaking of goalie controversies, Mike Gillis said recently in an interview that he has had a potential deal lined up and it’s "not who anybody thinks it is," which definitely throws a wedge in the trade rumours, for sure. You gotta wonder who that player is and what the hold-up is.

here's an article regarding what Canucko was referring to:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hocke y/21...
"He shaved his head and shed his gloom...."

tmc
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-26-13 12:38 AM - Post#1502928    

In response to DPR4444

Good win 5-0 in Anaheim. Schneider solid. His time to take the reins. Raymond has started out well,I give him more punishment than a Cuban flyweight but,he is producing. Bieska looked a little light in his fight...lol. Great scrap Volpatti, goal to boot.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-26-13 09:42 AM - Post#1503002    

In response to tmc

I said on another message board that I noticed early in the first two games that Raymond appeared to look more like 2009-2010 Raymond than any other verson I've ever seen and do I ever look like a genius now, lol.

To negate that genius, however, I also said that Schroeder was not good enough to play in the NHL. In his first two games, he's received over 15 minutes of ice-time from Vigneault (more than Hodgson used to get last season). He's clearly go the wheels to produce offence and is defensively responsible (like most guys coming up from the Wolves). And here is one situtation I'm glad to be wrong again, especially since we'll need him next year with Manny likely gone.

Kassian continues to impress. What can I say that hasn't already been said.

Tanev-Ballard will prove to be one of the best bottom 3 pairings in the league. Mark my words. They will be shutdown guys by the end of the season.

However, the best news is Schneider. The Ducks shooters sure as heck were trying, but they weren't seeing any daylight. The key to Schneider's goaltending is that of most great goalies... his positioning. He knows when to come out of his net and when to stay deep and he plays his angles well. More than that, he now just bought Gillis time and support to trade Luongo. With the emergence of Schroeder and potential re-emergence of Raymond, Gillis might now have more trade options and may not have to wait out for that second line center (possibly some more toughness on the bottom 6 or a reasonable draft pick?).

bizzaro
all star
Total Posts: 1410
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-26-13 03:09 PM - Post#1503081    

In response to Canucko29

very early yet, but we can all agree that Vancouver is a solid playoff team. Their early funk is disapating as the Sedin's are looking sharp again. Raymond looks to be healthy again since his serious back/neck injury caused by another cheap shot from Bruin. Schneider looked great in blanking the Quackers from Anaheim. We should be fine now, hope Luo gets gone and we get a player back who can contribute.
He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 All123
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
64 Online Now
7 viewable users and 2 hidden plus 55 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Palin Brawl" with 33 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.749 seconds.   Total Queries: 344   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 06:34 PM