hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Sean O'Donnell hangs em up        (Topic#538309)
Twist 'n Belak
superstar
Total Posts: 3514
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 09:58 AM - Post#1499234    

Solid career. I thought a team like the Isles could've used his veteran presence, but oh well.
formerly Belak_2 aka Bleka...

DOWN GOES BRASHEAR!

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9578
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 10:03 AM - Post#1499240    

In response to Twist 'n Belak

I agree. Good career behind. REspects him by a player and person.
Great teamguy, teamplayer.
I remember his short stint in a Devils, early of 2000's where he won his Stanley Cup.
Devils defense wasnt nice to meet bec of O'Donnell, White, Stevens and Daneyko.
That why they won 2-3 Stanley Cup from middle of 90's to 2003 summer.
They had very tough but smart defenders before.
Couple scorer defensemans as well like Scott Niedermayer and Brian Rafalski and smart teamplayer Tommy Albelin.

Congratulations O'Donnell!

Badlands92
legend
Total Posts: 12370
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 10:28 AM - Post#1499247    

Very solid career that spanned three decades. It's too bad he didn't play this season - that would mean he played games after three lockouts.

There aren't too many guys still around from the 90s, let alone anyone with a fight card.

Hope he enjoys retirement.
I expect to play every day. That's our job. You go out there every day and contribute in some way.

- Jason Kendall, May 5, 2010

ILB
superstar
Total Posts: 3770
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-16-13 10:57 AM - Post#1499256    

As per Darren Dreger, will be announced today:

It's the end of an era really. O'Donnell was the last true fighting defenseman from the crease clearing era that could play the game and give you 7-12 fights a year. He didn't always win, but he never backed down from anyone and took on a bunch of heavyweights... The guy was a man's hockey player and someone I always respected. Enjoy retirement Odie, I always appreciated your style of play.
"The Hand is fine, I got a shot of chromosome yesterday."

John Kordic on the status of his hand.

Edited by i like boobs on 01-16-13 10:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ILB
superstar
Total Posts: 3770
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-16-13 11:04 AM - Post#1499259    

In response to Badlands92

It's the end of an era really. O'Donnell was the last true fighting defenseman from the crease clearing era that could play the game and give you 7-12 fights a year. He didn't always win, but he never backed down from anyone and took on a bunch of heavyweights... The guy was a man's hockey player and someone I always respected. Enjoy retirement Odie, I always appreciated your style of play.
"The Hand is fine, I got a shot of chromosome yesterday."

John Kordic on the status of his hand.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31635
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 11:13 AM - Post#1499263    

In response to ILB

OD was the prototypical low-skill, but high smarts, heart and toughness defenseman.

Loved him when he came up with the Kings. I think Robinson has much to do with his ability to be a smart positional player, which he had to do with a pretty limited skill level.

He was never a great fighter, but he never once hesitated a split second to come to the aid of a teammate, no matter who the instigator was.

Really, really love this guy. Sad to see him retire and wish him the best.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Holmgren
superstar
Total Posts: 2796
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-16-13 11:23 AM - Post#1499276    

In response to PuckRogue

Yep sad day. Those guys have always been my favorite: the battle tested, tough D-man: Brad Brown, OD, Hatcher, ken daneyko, Stevens, etc.

There are still a few around but they fight much less: Greene, Stoner, Clarkner, Jackman, Bieksa, etc.
I see Blue! . . . He looks glorious!

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 11:34 AM - Post#1499284    

In response to Holmgren

With the shorter benches, they basically eliminated the fighting d-man years ago. No one can afford to have a member of their three pairings in the box for 5 or 15 minutes.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

ChiBoyinLA
all star
Total Posts: 1128
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 12:00 PM - Post#1499297    

In response to PuckRogue

If you had told anyone when he first came up with the Kings that OD would have a 17 year career and play 1224 NHL games (Top 30 among NHL defensemen all-time!) . . . you would have been laughed at.

Talent wise, OD was nothing special. A fringe NHLer. Perennial third pairing defenseman.

But he kept his game simple, and played it well and consistently. Always played hard and physically. Made the simple, safe play. Always stuck up for his teammates. Endeared himself to coaches and teammates.

And that's why he stuck around for so long. That's why later in his career he was acquired by multiple teams looking to improve. That's why his name is on the Cup.

So, good for him. Congrats on a career that I am sure no one, including him, expected. He worked hard, played the right way, and was rewarded. It is always great to see a hard worker have success. I fully expect him to make a seamless transition into management for some team.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." -- John Wooden

PuckRogue
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 12:17 PM - Post#1499307    

In response to ChiBoyinLA

I can't imagine him NOT winding up a d-man coach on some team soon.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15087
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 12:25 PM - Post#1499310    

In response to PuckRogue

Always a fan of OD. I wish he played in DC more often. Even playing for the road team, I rooted for him.

I hope he gets involved in hockey at the grassroots level. He's a great teacher, and he'll be able to impact a lot of kids into playing the game the right way.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

444orr
veteran
Total Posts: 416
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 02:33 PM - Post#1499355    

In response to Tim-

Was always a fan of OD...Great team guy...Never complained last season when the Hawks scratched him...Hope he winds up as a coach somewhere.

Drunk_24-7
legend
Total Posts: 16415
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 06:20 PM - Post#1499419    

In response to 444orr

Congrats to Odie on a great career. Boobs and ChiBoy really summed up his career nicely above. The League is gonna miss a guy like this greatly. If he has an interest in coaching, I would expect him to do quite well in that arena as well. Guys who over achieve as players through hard work and an ability to buy in to a system to make a simple skillset as effective as possible tend to be able to pass things along as coaches more effectively than the superstar type players.
"To be honest, even though he lost, Hendricks did a better job of enforcing than most heavyweight enforcers do." - Peatycap

Not only is the NHL totally fucked it's fans are out to lunch now as well

steeles21
Total Posts: 18718
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-16-13 08:40 PM - Post#1499466    

In response to Drunk_24-7

Great team player, very underrated.
http://www.qualcomm.com/

DoubleJ
legend
Total Posts: 12296
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 08:58 PM - Post#1499472    

In response to steeles21

I liked him on the Devils. I heard he was ripped and the strongest guy on the team. I don't remember a single fight as a Devil, but I haven't thought about it either.
Devils John Madden being interviewed:
Interviewer- How does it feel to cover Gomez?
Madden- I don't know. I don't cover 3rd line centers.

licoricebiscuit
superstar
Total Posts: 3071
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 09:56 PM - Post#1499844    

In response to DoubleJ

I have posted numerous times regarding my admiration for OD, and how awesome (IMHO) this guy is. So sure I'm bummed to see him go, but at least he is getting out on his terms...well sort of, tick-tock and all that, and he is leaving before people begin to say "why is OD still in this game."

A few memorable OD moments; His pummeling of Geoff Courtnall in the 98 playoffs when Courtnall ran Storr. Of course that didn't end well for the Kings, but it was classic.

In 2006 when OD was with Anaheim he and Franzen had a little fracas, Franzen gets OD in a headlock and OD gets out and drills Franzen with a sweet right. Franzen remained on his feet, but he wanted non of it. Awesome

2008 LA vs Flames when OD made Phaneuf fight when he didn't want to. There is more to it, but I'm not writing a book.

He was pretty classy as well. There was a game where the Kings were in Edmonton and Penner was coming across the neutral zone and leaning for a pass and OD could have blown him up, but he merely chipped Penner off the puck. Jim Fox or someone was asking OD about it and he said you have to have some respect for your fellow players.

I have a great deal of respect for the guy, and wish him well.

Potius Mori Quam Foedari

Edited by licoricebiscuit on 01-17-13 09:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tmc
superstar
Total Posts: 3091
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:40 PM - Post#1499853    

In response to licoricebiscuit

In his early days as a King, I hated him playing against the Canucks, because he was always hard on opposing forwards and a tough SOB, very physical. Not the most gifted, but solid. Was at his best on the Anaheim cup team. For disliking him as an opponent for so long, I felt he was very deserving of the cup.

1200+ games. Good career.

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7237
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 11:35 PM - Post#1499862    

In response to DoubleJ

Best of luck to OD in the future and certainly hope he considers a coaching position.

Agree with a lot said already in how he played and what his skills were. Although he didn't drop the gloves a ton, but when he did it seemed always for the right reasons. One of the things I appreciated about OD was he liked to use the upper cut. If he and another fighter got in close he would usually tag the opponent with a couple of solid upper cuts.

Watching the Ducks and Kings for years, I loved that he was on the Southern California teams, which meant I got to see him play a lot. I was happy when the Ducks got him, and it was cool that he got on a championship team. That year with Parros, O'Donnell, May, Thornton, Moen, Fedoruk and the agitators at large was fun.

Thanks for giving hockey many good years!
"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15087
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 11:53 PM - Post#1499869    

In response to mtnbiker

Licorice, I remember reading about the non-hit on Penner. I have a lot of respect for that and I'm sure everyone in the league does too. He retires as a guy teams hated to play against, but have a lot of respect for and that other guys want him to win.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

licoricebiscuit
superstar
Total Posts: 3071
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-19-13 06:30 PM - Post#1500285    

In response to Tim-

agreed
Potius Mori Quam Foedari

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
49 Online Now
4 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 45 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "NHL Playoff - Predictions" with 61 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.377 seconds.   Total Queries: 351   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 09:37 AM