hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Devils re-sign Travis Zajac for 8 years        (Topic#538317)
Twist 'n Belak
superstar
Total Posts: 4052
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 02:43 PM - Post#1499361    

8 years, $46 million. No-trade clause.

The first signing under the new 8-year max re-sign rule.
formerly Belak_2 aka Bleka...

DOWN GOES BRASHEAR!

DoubleJ
legend
Total Posts: 12843
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 03:49 PM - Post#1499377    

In response to Twist 'n Belak

Good signing. LL doesn't negotiate contracts during the season, so he probably told him he has till Saturday to sign it, or it's off the table until after the season and start negotiating again.

The Devils are very strong up the middle with Zajac, Henrique, Zubris, and Josefson. Although Henrique or Zubris will have to move to center. josefson needs to keep improving and playing on the 4th line won't cut it.
Devils John Madden being interviewed:
Interviewer- How does it feel to cover Gomez?
Madden- I don't know. I don't cover 3rd line centers.

haymaker36
Total Posts: 13927
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 07:09 PM - Post#1499435    

In response to DoubleJ

• DoubleJ Said:
Good signing. LL doesn't negotiate contracts during the season, so he probably told him he has till Saturday to sign it, or it's off the table until after the season and start negotiating again.

The Devils are very strong up the middle with Zajac, Henrique, Zubris, and Josefson. Although Henrique or Zubris will have to move to center. josefson needs to keep improving and playing on the 4th line won't cut it.

Dude are you serious? Zajac is a massive floating pussy. He is not worth $5.75 mil for 8 years. Not that I need to tell you his stats, but his last full season he only scored 44 points, and has never had more than 67. That is not good value at all. Lamoriello is absolutely terrible with the salary cap, and exercises very little foresight.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

DoubleJ
legend
Total Posts: 12843
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 08:52 PM - Post#1499470    

In response to haymaker36

He's only 27, and fits the mold of a classic Devil. He doesn't take bad penalties, is a solid two-way player, and should score 20-25 goals a year with 40-45 assists. He played great in the playoffs last year. If he wasn't signed and had a big year, he'd get more on the open market and the Devils would have gotten nothing for him. You can make an argument he's overpaid a little, but most NHL players are.

And yes, he's a massive floating pussy. But what can you do?

LL obviously hasn't achieved the success pre-salary cap, but in the 7 years since the cap, he has won 4 division titles and last years conference title. He hasn't had high draft picks except 2 years ago to draft can't miss superstars. He's made some mistakes, but to say he's been absolutely terrible is going overboard.
Devils John Madden being interviewed:
Interviewer- How does it feel to cover Gomez?
Madden- I don't know. I don't cover 3rd line centers.

haymaker36
Total Posts: 13927
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-16-13 09:08 PM - Post#1499477    

In response to DoubleJ

Terrible with the salary cap, not terrible overall. He has signed guys to some really, really bad contracts since the salary cap was implemented.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9612
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 01:11 AM - Post#1499537    

In response to haymaker36

Nice re-sign IMO.
One of the most underrated players in the league.

Dupre2003
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5162
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 08:27 AM - Post#1499593    

In response to juha82

Steep price for a slightly above-average player.. I know there was pressure on Lou to hang on to someone but man.. Think he would hae opened his purse to keep Parise instead..

Zajac is a 3.5M/yr guy at most imo.. $4M if you wanted to reward him for loyality.. bad deal..

juha82
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9612
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 09:49 AM - Post#1499615    

In response to Dupre2003

• Dupre2003 Said:
Steep price for a slightly above-average player.. I know there was pressure on Lou to hang on to someone but man.. Think he would hae opened his purse to keep Parise instead..

Zajac is a 3.5M/yr guy at most imo.. $4M if you wanted to reward him for loyality.. bad deal..

From his skills a slightly above-average player but his VALUE is bigger for the team so i could pay for him a good number of moneys.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
47 Online Now
7 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 40 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Stage 1 - Round 5 - Who makes the Top 50?" with 76 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.141 seconds.   Total Queries: 161   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 08:27 AM