hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
Username Post: Obama criticized for drone strikes on American Citizens        (Topic#538339)
Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24452
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:17 AM - Post#1499628    

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/ny-times -op-ed-...

"Who Says You Can Kill Americans, Mr. President?" a scathing New York Times op-ed asked Thursday.

The opinion piece, written by Vicki Divoll, former general counsel to the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and former deputy legal adviser to the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center, heaps criticism on the administration for the practice of using drone strikes for assassination and calls for greater transparency.

Divoll writes:

Mr. Obama should declassify and release, to Congress, the press and the public, documents that set forth the detailed constitutional and statutory analysis he relies on for targeting and killing American citizens. Perhaps Mr. Obama still believes that, in a democracy, the people have a right to know the legal theories upon which the president executes his great powers. Certainly, we can hope so. After all, his interpretation might be wrong.

Divoll notes the known killings of three American citizens who were suspected terrorists: Anwar al-Awlaki, a radical American-born Muslim cleric; Samir Khan, a naturalized American citizen who edited an English-language magazine and was with Awlaki at the time of his death; and Awlaki’s 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, who were all killed overseas.

Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24452
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:18 AM - Post#1499630    

In response to Mike

I'll defend the President here. I believe his authorization of drone strikes saves the lives of US soldiers. Also killing a US citizen who has become a terrorist and plotting anti-US activity on foreign soil is fair game IMO.

Good job Mr. President!

glockman30
superstar
Total Posts: 3024
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:21 AM - Post#1499633    

In response to Mike

An American citizen with a name like that should know something bad is going to happen to them. You go to the Middle East and denounce your citizenship and join Al Qaeda. You should know you are going to be killed if given half a chance.

Am I missing something.
You can easily judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
- General Wayne Downing

Tim-
legend
Total Posts: 15107
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:24 AM - Post#1499637    

In response to glockman30

Did they consider themselves American? I doubt it.

The real question is how many innocent people died in that strike.
"It is not our fault that the world is bad, and we do not want to die changing it. We want to live- that is all."

-Tadeusz Borowski

glockman30
superstar
Total Posts: 3024
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:26 AM - Post#1499640    

In response to Tim-

Those laser guided drones are pretty accurate. It is just a matter of when they have a chance to get a terrorist with one, is the family or other innocent people nearby. That is a tough call.
You can easily judge the character of a man by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
- General Wayne Downing

Renard
superstar
Total Posts: 4654
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:35 AM - Post#1499647    

In response to Mike

• Mike Said:
I'll defend the President here. I believe his authorization of drone strikes saves the lives of US soldiers. Also killing a US citizen who has become a terrorist and plotting anti-US activity on foreign soil is fair game IMO.

Good job Mr. President!

Agree. I haven't agreed with everything that Obama has done in terms of foreign policy...but his willingness to ice terrorists via drone strikes is something I definitely agree with.
Johan Gambelputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dangle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker -thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkl

Edited by Renard on 01-17-13 10:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

FreezingTexan
legend
Total Posts: 12107
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 10:41 AM - Post#1499654    

In response to Renard

Agree with you guys. These scumbags would have killed how many soldiers and how many innocent people themselves?
Germany, it's like Wisconsin only with a really bad past.

Pete
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8029
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-17-13 11:15 AM - Post#1499667    

In response to FreezingTexan

I think the piece has a broader intent which is to reveal the president's so called "kill list". It's unfortunate that she had to resort to those three as the only known examples of drones strikes killing US citizens, because the broader implications are that he has executive powers to strike, shall we say, indiscriminantely.

Cotton
Total Posts: 27539
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 11:23 AM - Post#1499671    

In response to Pete

Slippery slope, fellas.

An American, even a traitor, should get due process and then when found guilty for treason be put to death. There is a reason why we have to go through that shit though. It's like taking free speech away from those WBC cunts. While what they say is vile and disgusting if you start going around our laws it allows it to happen again in different cases when people try to justify why we not follow our own laws.
"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right an keeps on a-comin."
-creed of Texas Ranger Captain W. J. McDonald

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 11:25 AM - Post#1499673    

In response to Cotton

Most of these drone attacks are fucking absurd. We've dropped them on weddings that killed many innocent women and children to kill a few "bad guy." That is not the standard I hold my country up to.
"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right an keeps on a-comin."

irish_66
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8078
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 11:28 AM - Post#1499676    

In response to Cotton

disagree, nothing slippery here my friend. Suspected terrorists get no benefit of the doubt. The big question is simply is the intelligence good. That is where we need to be 100% sure of the validity of the intelligence. 99% I would think doesnt call for a strike.
Gretzky to Hextall after Hexy stoned him on a breakaway in Hexy's first game:"Who the hell are you?"
Hextall's response:"Who the hell are you?"

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 11:35 AM - Post#1499677    

In response to irish_66

"Suspected"

We can't go down that road as a nation of laws. Rouge nations do that kind of shit. Every American gets due process. Now if this guy is sought after, found, and tries to fire upon US troops he is dead. Fuck, lie to me and say "He was coming right for us." for all I care. Just don't begin to allow due process to be taken away from Americans openly like this. Once people can justify not respecting our own laws for something then can do it for other examples that sound "reasonable" to them. This starts going down a very dark and very Un-American road.

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 11:37 AM - Post#1499678    

In response to Cotton

Keep in mind that these same drones less weaponry are being used in America already right now. Be careful what you accept as a society as crazy people can get in power. It happens more times than not in history. Our laws and way of life limits that greatly so we should stay the course.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 12:24 PM - Post#1499687    

In response to Cotton

• Cotton Said:
Most of these drone attacks are fucking absurd. We've dropped them on weddings that killed many innocent women and children to kill a few "bad guy." That is not the standard I hold my country up to.

Who here has criticized Clinton for alleged opportunities to kill OBL with women and children around...?

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

FreezingTexan
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 12:31 PM - Post#1499690    

In response to PuckRogue

I wanna know what the fuck "Red" nations have to do with anything.

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 12:34 PM - Post#1499691    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:
  • Cotton Said:

Who here has criticized Clinton for alleged opportunities to kill OBL with women and children around...?

-PR

I don't know.

Pagey
legend
Total Posts: 12922
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-17-13 12:36 PM - Post#1499692    

In response to FreezingTexan

If these drone attacks were made on American soil, there would be reason for concern. As it is now, I don't see the problem.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 12:41 PM - Post#1499696    

In response to Pagey

They are here, just not armed, yet.

The right-wing and left-wing sourced stories.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/19/c ongres...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/19/drones-un...

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 12:43 PM - Post#1499697    

In response to Cotton

Ah yes, that familiar feeling of being alone on a topic again. I'm the wacky Les Stroud of FC.

FreezingTexan
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-17-13 12:56 PM - Post#1499701    

In response to Cotton

Cotton, I see totally where you're coming from and don't really disagree with you but they are in a war zone not fighting for America but against it, therefore they are enemy combatants not Americans.

Page 1 of 9 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
45 Online Now
1 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 44 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Fights that were very close to happening, but never did." with 18 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.49 seconds.   Total Queries: 346   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 12:45 AM