hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: FIU Professor had had it!        (Topic#538387)
Jax
Total Posts: 11292
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 07:31 AM - Post#1500411    

For the record, I love what this guy did. Unfortunately he is no longer employed by the university. I am teaching for the first time this semester, and I can tell you, after two weeks of class, I believe some college students are coddled idiots. If this is what the public education system is churning out, then we are in trouble. I know FIU isn't exactly Harvard, but I've seen writing in which students can barely construct coherent sentences. Fucking texting and Facebooking through class, coming in fifteen minutes late without so much as an "I'm sorry."
In short, this will be me in ten years.

phantomenforcer
superstar
Total Posts: 3031
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 09:04 AM - Post#1500428    

In response to Jax

Some of the dumbest people I've met have college degrees. also some of the smartest, it's a mixed bag, but having a college degree doesn't automatically impress me anymore.

Arctaurus
all star
Total Posts: 1517
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 09:44 AM - Post#1500440    

In response to phantomenforcer

My fiancee was asked where North America was on a map of the world (unlabelled). This was a Grade 10 Science class.

I worry about the future of this planet. I'll stop there before I end up ranting about today's education system.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition.

Henry V - Shakespeare

FreezingTexan
legend
Total Posts: 12107
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 09:48 AM - Post#1500445    

In response to Arctaurus

Yeah, don't get me started on public education today vs when I was in school.
Germany, it's like Wisconsin only with a really bad past.

Peatycap
Total Posts: 28321
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 10:12 AM - Post#1500463    

In response to FreezingTexan

I didn't watch the whole thing. But he came across as a bit arrogant. He could have delivered the same message without cursing and without berating for 15 minutes. Set expectation, reinforce them, and then hold students accountable. It doesn't take saying "fuck" ten times to do that.

That said, there's too many college kids out there that simply can't write. I remember watching a new student come into a GRAD school class to deliver a presentation; and her title slide was written in Ebonics. IMO, you're now STARTING at a C. And chances are, things are about to get worse.

Pagey
legend
Total Posts: 12978
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-20-13 10:15 AM - Post#1500467    

In response to Peatycap

I've taught to graduate students and what a breath of fresh air that was after spending 5 years teaching to first and second year bachelor students. That was 10 years ago, I got bored and moved on to other things.

The "new" generation of students scares the shit out of me. While I agree that the profanity was out of place, this guy said what a lot of teachers I knew were thinking, myself included, and didn't have the balls to say in front of their classes. I'm just happy I don't have to deal with it anymore.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Badlands92
legend
Total Posts: 12617
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 11:02 AM - Post#1500483    

In response to Pagey

There are too many colleges. Period. Not everyone was supposed to get a degree, but nowadays there's a YMCA State for every kid. It's no surprise that slugs in high school would become slugs in college.
I expect to play every day. That's our job. You go out there every day and contribute in some way.

- Jason Kendall, May 5, 2010

NYR_Nutz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7103
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 11:29 AM - Post#1500499    

In response to Badlands92

Didn't watch the video - but I'm sorry, you get zero respect when you wear a tie dye shirt.

If you're a college professor, you should be at least dressed business casual. He looks like he's ready for a Greatful Dead concert

That's not to defend the students. I think it's safe to assume 75% of college students are lazy and just do enough to scrape by. But, what kind of example does he think he's setting coming dressed like this to his class?

Clutch
Total Posts: 12775
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 01:20 PM - Post#1500543    

In response to Badlands92

• Badlands92 Said:
There are too many colleges. Period. Not everyone was supposed to get a degree, but nowadays there's a YMCA State for every kid. It's no surprise that slugs in high school would become slugs in college.

I drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around

rangfan
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9158
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 04:36 PM - Post#1500738    

In response to NYR_Nutz

• NYR_Nutz Said:
Didn't watch the video - but I'm sorry, you get zero respect when you wear a tie dye shirt.

If you're a college professor, you should be at least dressed business casual. He looks like he's ready for a Greatful Dead concert

That's not to defend the students. I think it's safe to assume 75% of college students are lazy and just do enough to scrape by. But, what kind of example does he think he's setting coming dressed like this to his class?

My economics professor at Wharton (David Crawford) wore t-shirts, often tie-dye, when lecturing. It didn't take away from the fact that he is a genius.
"He is NOT Yankees material. He wouldn't look good in their uniform and doesn't fit the class or work ethic level. I see him as a lazy non pressure environment pitcher."

Huard, on CC

rangfan
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9158
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 04:38 PM - Post#1500742    

In response to Clutch

• Clutch Said:
  • Badlands92 Said:

I agree also. The pendulum will be swinging back the other way in terms of # of colleges and overall costs. It has to.

My favorite are those sub-par $60K/year private colleges. Why bother? "Where rich parents send dumb kids"
"He is NOT Yankees material. He wouldn't look good in their uniform and doesn't fit the class or work ethic level. I see him as a lazy non pressure environment pitcher."

Huard, on CC

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8824
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-20-13 04:47 PM - Post#1500751    

In response to rangfan

Sadly, those idiots will be allowed to vote and multiply.
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

phantomenforcer
superstar
Total Posts: 3031
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-13 01:01 PM - Post#1501089    

In response to NYR_Nutz

• NYR_Nutz Said:

Many academic types tend to be a bit eccentric.

Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24456
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-13 06:04 PM - Post#1501186    

In response to rangfan

• rangfan Said:
  • Clutch Said:
  • Badlands92 Said:

I agree also. The pendulum will be swinging back the other way in terms of # of colleges and overall costs. It has to.

My favorite are those sub-par $60K/year private colleges. Why bother? "Where rich parents send dumb kids"

very true. Something has to give. University costs are out of control.

I read something recently about how even top universities may expand online courses to bring overall costs down.

I would have loved online courses when I was in school!!! Especially annoying fucking electives.

NYR_Nutz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7103
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-21-13 09:40 PM - Post#1501331    

In response to Mike

Off topic but I saw somewhere the average college student spends 17 hours per week in class. The cost of education in this country is insane. That's just for a basic 4 year degree.

Want to go to med school, law school or grad school and prepare on having mortgage size debt. It's disgusting

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-22-13 02:40 AM - Post#1501385    

In response to NYR_Nutz

I'm currently attending the Art Institute of Colorado, and if it wasn't for my GI bill, there's no way I could afford it. School's fucking expensive as hell!
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

Pagey
legend
Total Posts: 12978
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-22-13 07:20 AM - Post#1501411    

In response to Mike

• Mike Said:
I read something recently about how even top universities may expand online courses to bring overall costs down.

I would have loved online courses when I was in school!!! Especially annoying fucking electives.

MOOCs are all the rage these days ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_open_onl ine_c... ). MIT has been offering free courses for years now with their OpenCourseWare initiative, but now we're seeing an evolution of this with Coursera, Udacity and others who are now offering credit for certain courses from major universities in the US and around the world (including Harvard, Stanford, and many others). BTW, MOOCs are a Canadian invention (started in 2008 with a distance course taught by a colleague who works at Athabasca U. out west, George Siemens, with Dave Cormier who initially coined the term).

I call the above job security. LOL
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jax
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-13 09:26 AM - Post#1502316    

In response to Pagey

"enterprising entrepreneurs"
Yes, a student actually wrote that in an assignment and turned it in.

Jax
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-13 09:27 AM - Post#1502317    

In response to Jax

Why not just say "enterprising enterprisers," or "entrepreneurial entrepreneurs?"

Ogie
legend
Total Posts: 11312
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-13 09:45 AM - Post#1502326    

In response to NYR_Nutz

• NYR_Nutz Said:
Off topic but I saw somewhere the average college student spends 17 hours per week in class. The cost of education in this country is insane. That's just for a basic 4 year degree.

Want to go to med school, law school or grad school and prepare on having mortgage size debt. It's disgusting

I have a friend that is 10 years removed from law school and is STILL paying off debt and probably will continue doing so for the next 5-10 years. Until costs are lowered or tuition is somehow regulated or controlled I honestly cannot say the juice is worth the squeeze. the financial burden is just too much to handle.
"Buy me a soda after the game."

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
38 Online Now
7 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 31 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Citizens United vote " with 39 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.336 seconds.   Total Queries: 350   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 08:32 AM