hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 3 All123
Username Post: Chili Cook Off        (Topic#538465)
Cotton
Total Posts: 27533
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-13 09:44 PM - Post#1502542    

I'm bringing the heat this year for the chili cook off at my wife's work. Got 3rd place two years ago and 2nd last year. Fuck that. I want that TITLE! I am even going to "name" it after my daughter so I get the sympathy vote. All is fair in love and chili cook offs.

It's very good and spicy. I am expecting victory.
"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right an keeps on a-comin."
-creed of Texas Ranger Captain W. J. McDonald

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8201
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-13 10:36 PM - Post#1502562    

In response to Cotton

Next time, try buffalo. Fucking fantastic!
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

Mike
Administrator
Total Posts: 24452
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 07:18 AM - Post#1502610    

In response to Panzerrat

my brother in law won a chili cook-off recently. Very informal and similar to what cotton is talking about.

Remember a true chili has no beans. If its not a real competition, you can get away with some I guess. What we did is puree the beans and add it as filler. Another ingrediant we added was chorizo. It really gave the chili a great flavor.

Mustang27
all star
Total Posts: 1523
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 09:37 AM - Post#1502653    

In response to Mike

So about 5-6 years ago we had a big snow storm out here. So I made a batch of chili and had a few people over. They loved it. So I continued to make it over the next few years and it was always a hit. So a few years ago I decided to try a chili cook off. I registered for the Wyoming State Championship Cookoff in Chugwater, Wy. I got there the night before and stayed in a little hotel with the girl I was dating at the time (she was my helper). I got up early and went to the site and there were motorhomes (from all different states) lined up and people up early getting prepared. I didn’t know people take this stuff so seriously. So I pull up in my truck and we parked and setup where available. We get setup and start cooking. People were decorating their booths, showcasing their previous awards and trophies, etc. Thankfully my chili turned out really good, which I was worried about since I making a huge batch I didn’t want to mess up the ingredient ratio. But Mike is correct, CASI rules state you cannot add fillers such as rice and beans but that was perfect because I don’t add beans anyways. But anyways there was about a 100 entries, and I got 1st place people’s choice (which was the highest honor according to the host) and 4th place with the judges!! When they are calling the awards they recognized the top 10, and start with 10, 9, 8 ect so when they get down to 5 you are starting to think that you didn’t make the podium. But I was super happy that I got 4th my first time.. and then I got the “Green Horn Award” for best newcomer chili. I took home 3 trophies which was the most hardware of anyone.

Then a year later I entered into “The Big Chili Cook-off” in Evergreen Colorado and finished 2nd with the judges. Fun times.

Good luck Cotton! Win or lose give us the outcome.
I'd rather be right than politically correct

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 11:15 AM - Post#1502673    

In response to Mike

• Mike Said:
my brother in law won a chili cook-off recently. Very informal and similar to what cotton is talking about.

Remember a true chili has no beans. If its not a real competition, you can get away with some I guess. What we did is puree the beans and add it as filler. Another ingrediant we added was chorizo. It really gave the chili a great flavor.

I've read that about chili and it shocked me to be honest. I've always liked a beef and bean mix with there being a 3/1 ratio more of beef. I never got the whole reasoning for it being "official" only if it has no beans. It's weird.
"No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that's in the right an keeps on a-comin."

haymaker36
Total Posts: 13768
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 11:27 AM - Post#1502675    

In response to Cotton

I've been wanting to enter my wife in one of these. Her chili is so fucking good. She does use beans, however. I've never heard of Mike's high society of chili rules! She'll fry up some bacon to chop for the toppings, and then just dump the bacon fat into the stew. Yum.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 12:34 PM - Post#1502696    

In response to haymaker36

its not my rules. Its the actual RULES. Read about any actual chili cook-off and real chili has no beans. I am not making this up......

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 03:15 PM - Post#1502736    

In response to Mike

That's goddamn Texas style chili. Screw their rules. Chili requires beans.
"You call this bad? I'll tell you what bad is....Bad is passing test depth at 80 feet per second with a thirty degree down bubble. Compared to that, this is a walk in the park."

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 03:23 PM - Post#1502737    

In response to Panzerrat

thats the real chili. You guys just bastardize everything.

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 03:24 PM - Post#1502738    

In response to Mike

Texans are bastards.

Mustang27
all star
Total Posts: 1523
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 05:05 PM - Post#1502756    

In response to Panzerrat

Competition chili rules...

http://www.chili.org/rules.html

2. NO FILLERS IN CHILI - Beans, macaroni, rice, hominy, or other similar ingredients are not permitted.
I'd rather be right than politically correct

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 05:56 PM - Post#1502763    

In response to Mustang27

That's what I said!!!! You guys and your bean soup.

haymaker36
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 06:02 PM - Post#1502765    

In response to Mike

Damn! My wife is going to have to step her game up then!
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 06:24 PM - Post#1502776    

In response to Mike

• Mike Said:
its not my rules. Its the actual RULES. Read about any actual chili cook-off and real chili has no beans. I am not making this up......

I know. I had someone bring it up to me the other day. I just think it is absurd that some "chili group" made those rules up.

Cotton
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 06:25 PM - Post#1502777    

In response to Cotton

1st place, bitches!

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7307
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-13 09:58 PM - Post#1502890    

In response to Cotton

Looks good Cotton. Congrats.
"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

haymaker36
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-26-13 10:13 PM - Post#1503235    

In response to mtnbiker

My wife made bean soup tonight. It was delicious.

-Crowder

Panzerrat
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-27-13 12:35 AM - Post#1503272    

In response to haymaker36

SMASH THE SYSTEM!

Add beans to chili!

slickpuck
all star
Total Posts: 1408
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-27-13 08:51 AM - Post#1503339    

In response to Panzerrat

I see a chili spice pack in that photo. Rule #1 says no "just add meat" mixes allowed. Breakin the law breakin the law.

Rule 3b is interesting, cooks may be required to taste their own chili, if they refuse they are disqualified. I wonder what prompted that rule.
RIP #40

Mike
Administrator
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-27-13 09:11 AM - Post#1503343    

In response to slickpuck

thats because of South Park when Cartman served human meat in the chili!

Page 1 of 3 All123
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
39 Online Now
3 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 35 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "James Garner passes away" with 16 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.369 seconds.   Total Queries: 350   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 01:24 AM