hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Pointless & buried....        (Topic#538538)
Maguire19
Total Posts: 17896
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-28-13 09:45 PM - Post#1504043    

What was the point of many of these teams signing and/or keeping certain tough guys? Look at the list of players who've barely been dressed let alone gotten a fight so far in 2013....

Janssen
Barch
Parros
Shelley
Boulton
Peluso
Matt Kassian
McGrattan
Staubitz
F McLaren
Hordichuk
Westgarth

Shame.

Edited by Maguire19 on 01-28-13 09:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Maguire19
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-28-13 09:50 PM - Post#1504053    

In response to Maguire19

And even though there has been overall decent action, there have only been 4 or 5 fights worthy of a "Best of" honor. I remember seeing Nicky's Best of 94-95 tape and it had atleast 100 solid scraps for the 48 game schedule. Think we'll be lucky to churn out 50 decent quality fights this season if it keeps going as is.

Huard28
Total Posts: 29691
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-28-13 09:58 PM - Post#1504061    

In response to Maguire19

Seems like a dozen enforcers are dressing (Orr, Scott, Thornton, Carkner, Bollig, Bordeleau, Boll, Rupp, Crombeen, BizNasty, Reaves, Neil...and a dozen are not dressing (ones you mentioned).

And the surprise in all this on the flip side is that the Sabres have actually dressed and played John Scott in EVERY game. 5 in a row, and he will be in vs TOR tomorrow, so not bad there.

I agree, overall the quality of fights has suffered greatly. Players are smarter when they fight, protecting themselves more, and guys end up throwing each other off balance a lot. Also the linesmen jump in faster and faster, compared to years past.
"I never participate in the game anymore. It doesn't work. I am too bad. I only fight". - Link Gaetz

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7242
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 01:33 AM - Post#1504102    

In response to Huard28

Agree, and it also seems there isn't much emotion probably due to still being early in the abbreviated season.

I'm actually surprised and satisfied with the fighting so far. It's 2013, after a pointless lockout, with coaches focusing more on the W, and yet there have been some good fights in the HW and middleweight classes.
"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

coalinga
all star
Total Posts: 1308
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 04:15 AM - Post#1504127    

In response to juha82

It's another step towards having middleweights doing the fighting.

I'm gonna go ahead and put my chin out there and wait for the FC faithful to come in and KO me:

The 80s and 90s are not coming back. Ever. I wish it wasn't true of course... but as I see it, it is and I pretty much have no doubt about it.

So, how do we handle that? We have two choices: we leave the hobby behind. Stop following the fights and most likely the league. Or we swallow the biggest most bitter pill imaginable and adapt. Start ranking, discussing and follow the LWs, MWs and the LHWs.

Hurts to admit it but I don't think I'll stop watching the game or the fights if this is what the league looks like in a few years. Hopefully FC and the "scene" will adapt... and who knows, perhaps we'll even get used to it in the future.

Let the "fuck you, you've been drinking the Bettman cool-aid"-bashing begin! Just keep in mind that I don't want this... just trying to look at reality in a vaguely positive way.
1.Probert 2.Brown 3.Wilson 4.Playfair 5.Gillies 6.Grimson 7.McSorley 8.Hunter 9.Wensink 10.Miller

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 07:21 AM - Post#1504158    

In response to coalinga

I've been arguing the same thing for years, Coalinga. The league will allow for guys like Clowe, Clifford or even Thornton, but wants to see guys like Scott, MacIntyre and McGrattan gone. I was always more a fan of the emotional defense-of-a-teammate and rivalry fights than the "let's see who's bigger" fights from the 90's, anyway. Bring back the emotion into the game - not necessarily the fights. The fights will always be there if there's passion.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

Maguire19
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 07:25 AM - Post#1504160    

In response to PuckRogue

Just for the record, Im fine with middleweights being the new norm. I just dont understand why these guys are signed to sit. And dont their agents try to gauge what kind of bag of shit their client is signing with? Or are they happy just to get a contract anywhere?

coalinga
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 07:40 AM - Post#1504171    

In response to Maguire19

My best guess: They're a fairly cheap way to fill out your roster with loyal players that will perform even if they sit out most of the games.
1.Probert 2.Brown 3.Wilson 4.Playfair 5.Gillies 6.Grimson 7.McSorley 8.Hunter 9.Wensink 10.Miller

Kramer
Total Posts: 36390
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-29-13 08:02 AM - Post#1504186    

In response to coalinga

It's still more about the rule changes than anything. I don't need the 6-8 gorillas at all. What I do want are all the of the sub categories for fighting GONE! Score differential with time on the clock, secondary fights, instigator package, adnauseum powerplays, no contact in front of the nets, not allowing players to police the game, etc. To me, that's the stuff that has killed the fight game. I don't have an issue losing the VERY 1 dimensional-type players, it's the rewriting of the rulebook that I take offense to.

I'm not sure how this relates to your topic Mags, but I felt I had to say it.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

RIP To The King - Bob Probert 1965-2010

coalinga
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 08:05 AM - Post#1504189    

In response to Kramer

I agree on the rules Kramer but I there is one more thing that has affected it probably just as much: They've made the game faster. On paper that's just fine, in reality though the speed has ment that we lost the one thing that is even more important in a hockey game - intensity.

Intensity-passion-fights is the equation that is broken at the moment.

Maguire19
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 08:08 AM - Post#1504190    

In response to Kramer

I feel that homie. It's just weird there was such a rush to go out and sign enforcers of all sizes this past summer and when the season gets here, they may as well been waived. Maybe it has something to do with the condensed schedule. Who knows.

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-29-13 08:13 AM - Post#1504192    

In response to coalinga

• coalinga Said:
I agree on the rules Kramer but I there is one more thing that has affected it probably just as much: They've made the game faster. On paper that's just fine, in reality though the speed has ment that we lost the one thing that is even more important in a hockey game - intensity.

Intensity-passion-fights is the equation that is broken at the moment.

I'm not sure how speed effects intensity. I know they've "sped" up the game, shorter time between faceoffs, no change on icings, penalties for flipping the puck out of play, etc. I don't think the physical speed of the game has changed the intensity at all, imho. It has weeded out certain players, and changed the game in a sense, although when you see a plug like John Scott or Jody Shelley still taking a shift, you realize it's still possible for those players to get ice time, but, when you used to have refs turning blind eyes to certain things, and allowed the players to deal with it, the game was more intense, and more fun. Now they just blow the whistle, and Shanny suspends them. in the NHL, "you don't 'have' to fight if you don't want to". You're protected by the rules, and the rats run the asylum.

So, in a sense I agree, but speed should lead to hits, which should lead to fights, thus creating rivalries and intensity. This has been ruined at the grass roots level, as seen in the OHL, and throughout the CHL (Canadian, not Central hockey league). But to me, it goes back to the multitude of rule changes that has taken fighting out of the game as a 'tactic', or 'intimdation factor'.
"Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is living in 'Mad Max' times." -Moe Syzlak

coalinga
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 08:21 AM - Post#1504199    

In response to Kramer

I'm comparing to hockey over here in Sweden where a bigger rink has a profound effect on the game, especially on the intensity. It might be my english that stops me from explaining what I mean properly but basically, if you compare the NHL today with the NHL of the 90s and earlier the game much more reminds me of the big rink-hockey we have over here. Often faster but with less contact, less scrums by the boards and in front of the goal and so on = less intensity.

Overall we agree Kramer: Everything's fucked

Kramer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-29-13 08:22 AM - Post#1504200    

In response to coalinga

• coalinga Said:
Overall we agree Kramer: Everything's fucked

haha, exactly!

Peatycap
Total Posts: 28053
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 09:43 AM - Post#1504238    

In response to Kramer

Ala PR, I've been saying this for a years as well.

Players have been/can either adjust to the rules or they can't. It's been a while since the new rules (less clutching/grabbing) were put into place. Obviously, a lot of heavies were phased out. But over time, younger players have figured it out and refined their games so that they can be successful.

So I thought, and still think, that things will improve. There's still aggression/passion in the game. And toughness will always be a valued characteristic. It certainly is in the playoffs!

I don't know if this year has more to do with the shortened season; or to do with the influx of lights and middles.

ILB
superstar
Total Posts: 3774
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-29-13 10:14 AM - Post#1504252    

In response to Peatycap

You guys all forgot to mention my guy Brandon Prust! As far as the league and fighting - it's just a matter of time. The QMJHL discourages removing helmets while fighting with visors, the OHL has a 10 fight limit, USA hockey has always been against fighting at NCAA and Junior levels, and all the anti-fighting Nancy's in the mainstream media... Kids aren't going to be growing up with it as part of the game. Even in Minor hockey there were plenty of scraps growing up... Now it's gone. The new mantra is can't play, can't stay... If they'd increase the size of the active man roster it would help but they're killing it at the grassroots level so it won't flourish at the professional level. Just my opinion.
"The Hand is fine, I got a shot of chromosome yesterday."

John Kordic on the status of his hand.

Peatycap
Total Posts: 28053
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-29-13 10:48 AM - Post#1504264    

In response to ILB

Good, valid points ILBs.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
61 Online Now
7 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 54 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.303 seconds.   Total Queries: 299   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 10:14 PM