hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: How close do you follow the NHL?        (Topic#538932)
FIGHTfan0506
captain
Total Posts: 888
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 11:28 AM - Post#1513615    

For years I've always read people on this forum saying stuff like "I'm done with this shit" and that they were "never watching another game" or "spending another dime" but continue to see people post about hockey. These types of comments only increased during the lock out but now that we are into the season, I think it's time to come clean.

To which extent do you follow the NHL? Do you have season tickets? Packages? Go to a game here and there? Maybe you just watch on TV? Maybe you just watch the highlights or the fights? Buy the video game? Jerseys?

For myself, I did buy NHL 13 before the lockout. Previously I had NHL 11. I usually buy a new one every two years. I haven't gone to an NHL game since 1997. I don't even remember the last full game I've watched on TV. I do play fantasy hockey and I watch all of the fights on this site.

Maguire19
Total Posts: 17951
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 11:40 AM - Post#1513620    

In response to FIGHTfan0506

I watch Sabres games that have potential to be good. Cant even make it through those most times. I cant make it through playoff games for any team anymore. There was a time I was glued whether it be the Sabres or hockey in general. I bought the Centre Ice package in 08-09 when I was doing video clips for FC. Besides that, havent spent a dime on the NHL since the '05 lockout. The only Sabres games I go to are when tickets are given to me. No jerseys, video games, etc. My newest jersey is a Goathead red and black Sabres Peca jersey. The only way I would spend money in '13 would be if my team were the Leafs. Winning and playing the style of hockey I like.

superstar
Total Posts: 4017
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 11:45 AM - Post#1513624    

In response to Maguire19

I bought the Center Ice package this year for the first time since I was a teenager, twelve years ago. It was only $50 for the short season and I said fuck it and did it. Its nice to be able to follow the league to this degree again, but the product is shit. I went to a Pens-Bruins game last season for my birthday, but I didn't pay for the tickets. Couple of Thrashers games from my Georgia days, maybe $200 there. I bought a jersey around 2002 that was around $200. I'd say I given the league about $500 of my money over the last 12-13 years.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 10287
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 11:54 AM - Post#1513628    

In response to 187

I grew up playing and watching the game and I still watch it. The game is not as great as it once was and I think that is due to the influx of political correctness. Society is becoming more and more left wing'ish and intolerant as to what others do, especially when it's deemed to be done for money (i.e. to make the rich richer). We're becoming more collective and less individual and it's destroying more than just the NHL.

Nonetheless, I do pay to watch the NHL from time to time (maybe go to 1 or 2 games per year) and I watch every Canucks game. And I watch rivalry games when they are on for free on TSN or CBC. I probably watched less of these last year than I ever have, but my interest has been sparked by some of the Eastern Conference match-ups, where I see the best hockey being played and where I expect the Stanley Cup Champion to come from (either Boston, Pittsburgh or TBay if they find a goalie).

I pray for the day the old game returns, but I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen. But I do think there are still some worthwhile rivalries out there and I expect that I always watch the NHL unless they ban fighting altogether.
-Sedin Playoff Series Wins: 6
-Minnesota Mild Series Wins: 3

KyleFreadrich43
hall of famer
Total Posts: 6740
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-22-13 12:32 PM - Post#1513643    

In response to Canucko29

I bought the Center Ice package to watch the Avalanche. Outside of them, I occasionally will watch part of a Lightning game or another game if a player I like is on.

I've been to 2 games in the last 5 years. They were free suite tickets with free food and free beer.

I don't like the NHL Network. Bill Pedo has turned into a blathering idiot, and am glad they seemed to have dumped him from their programming. I can understand showing a couple of games over the off season, from the season before. But to show the entire playoffs over, playoffs I most likely didn't watch the first time, is pathetic and taking the easy way out. Show some classic games, and by classic, I don't mean something with Cindy Crybaby in it.
"I don't want to call him scared, but Worrell always seemed to avoid me." -Kyle Freadrich

Edited by KyleFreadrich43 on 02-22-13 12:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

STANJON17
all star
Total Posts: 1681
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 01:49 PM - Post#1513674    

In response to KyleFreadrich43

I watch all Bruins games on tv, been doing so since I was a young kid, and try to go to a few a year in person, but it's a little steep with a family. I watch assorted other games on tv, especially if there is potential for some fireworks.

BlockerBrothers
all star
Total Posts: 1293
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

02-22-13 03:03 PM - Post#1513706    

In response to STANJON17

I use to buy Center Ice, go to games when I was in a city that had a team, watched it just about every night, bought NHL crap.....but that was a few years ago.

For a variety of reasons these days, I watch the Bruins when I have time and will flick back and forth to games when they are on TV but I'm definitely losing interest and moving on. I don't even watch all the fight clips anymore which is bizarre for me as not long ago my morning ritual was grab a coffee, watch the fights from the night before and then get to work. I think it finally sunk in with me that the NHL and the NHLPA don't give a shit about what I think, so why should I care?

Fotiu
Total Posts: 15682
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 03:19 PM - Post#1513714    

In response to BlockerBrothers

Hardly at all - I just check the fight log.
Is Roy Innis gonna have to choke a bitch?!

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12251
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 03:42 PM - Post#1513724    

In response to Fotiu

All Bruin games and about another 10 to 15 other games a week as well as checking out tsn,nhl.com etc etc.

Fed29
all star
Total Posts: 1585
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 04:43 PM - Post#1513742    

In response to cashman rulz

I try to watch as many Flyers game as I can, but its usually on my lap top while I'm doing somethings else. Also I used to know when every game on the Flyers schedule was on but this year I have missed quit a few Flyers games because I did'nt even know they were on. This is mostly because I hate lavanders guts and cant wait for him to be fired.

I find it really hard to get motivated for a hockey game when the refs are always ruining the games and the league is making up fucking rules as they go.

Edited by Fed29 on 02-22-13 04:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 2712
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 05:30 PM - Post#1513749    

In response to Fed29

Since SJ has had a team I've seen in person quiet a few games. I bought a Shark Pack, 10 games, for a few seasons. One friend always threw me some tickets, mostly Chicago, since the early 90's. I OD on Centre Ice when it is free. My youngest bro. has had season tix the last 5 or so years, recently he went to a Shark Pak. During my JC days I remember following the NHL in the newspaper, then cable became readily available.

haymaker36
Total Posts: 13773
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 05:58 PM - Post#1513754    

In response to HenryHanson

I'm much like Canucko. I played growing up. In fact, I still do. I watch all Sharks games and will go to 1-2 per year. Despite the watered down product, I still love the game. I just get really frustrated by the watered down product very easily. I don't know, I wish I knew how to quit but I love hockey. At least what it's supposed to be anyways.

The biggest difference to me is my ability to watch other games. Watching my team is one thing, but I used to be able to sit down and watch almost any game at any time. There is no way now. Aside from catching a really physical game by luck, I have almost no interest in the random matchup anymore. That says more to me about the state of the league than anything.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

NYR_Nutz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7099
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 06:12 PM - Post#1513760    

In response to haymaker36

Never miss a NYR game on TV. If I'm going out, I DVR it and watch it when I come home. If I hear the score before I see the game I get pissed off.

As for games, haven't been to a game in 2 years. Before that I used to go to 1-2 per year at MSG and maybe hit up 1-2 at Continental & then The Rock.

Haven't bought a jersey since I got my Colton Orr NYR jersey 3+ years ago

Play fantasy hockey and may watch some highlights but never watch a full game for any team other than the Rangers

Check out all the fights on here

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 06:24 PM - Post#1513764    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
I grew up playing and watching the game and I still watch it. The game is not as great as it once was and I think that is due to the influx of political correctness. Society is becoming more and more left wing'ish and intolerant as to what others do, especially when it's deemed to be done for money (i.e. to make the rich richer). We're becoming more collective and less individual and it's destroying more than just the NHL.

Nonetheless, I do pay to watch the NHL from time to time (maybe go to 1 or 2 games per year) and I watch every Canucks game. And I watch rivalry games when they are on for free on TSN or CBC. I probably watched less of these last year than I ever have, but my interest has been sparked by some of the Eastern Conference match-ups, where I see the best hockey being played and where I expect the Stanley Cup Champion to come from (either Boston, Pittsburgh or TBay if they find a goalie).

I pray for the day the old game returns, but I'm pretty sure that's never going to happen. But I do think there are still some worthwhile rivalries out there and I expect that I always watch the NHL unless they ban fighting altogether.

AMen to your first paragraph. I played Mite Hockey in 71-72 and quit playing until 15 yEARS ago in a local P/U game. It was odd seeing that game get PC. I had one recently say to me, "I just want you to know that puck almost hit me in the face." He was twenty something, he sounded like he grew up wearing helmet, he sounded like he was empowered. The same game, different crowd obviously had guys who were starting to show age. Anytime a new guy came along, got his legs under him, and started out playing the old guys the old guys would throw a hip check or something. It is a non hitting game. So when I got to be the vet, I would not even think of doing that. The new crowd would have this "you get a timeout" attitude. They'd share their feelings. Plus it is way dirty to throw a check in a non hitting game as most aren't used to the style. Also the clutching a grabbing of the 80's is a bit much. The younger guys at this game, wouldn't necessarily drop their mitts, they'd slew foot you or something else equally dirty and sneaky. Yeah the game is changing but recently I heard one say, "they're skating about a foot taller now!" This was after a fight.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 06:26 PM - Post#1513766    

• HenryHanson Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

AMen to your first paragraph. I played Mite Hockey in 71-72 and quit playing until 15 yEARS ago in a local P/U game. It was odd seeing that game get PC. I had one recently say to me, "I just want you to know that puck almost hit me in the face." He was twenty something, he sounded like he grew up wearing helmet, he sounded like he was empowered. The same game, different crowd obviously had guys who were starting to show age. Anytime a new guy came along, got his legs under him, and started out playing the old guys the old guys would throw a hip check or something. It is a non hitting game. So when I got to be the vet, I would not even think of doing that. The new crowd would have this "you get a timeout" attitude. They'd share their feelings. Plus it is way dirty to throw a check in a non hitting game as most aren't used to the style. Also the clutching a grabbing of the 80's is a bit much. But one of my best memories is dragging one about five feet in the air as he tried to hook me. The younger guys at this game, wouldn't necessarily drop their mitts, they'd slew foot you or something else equally dirty and sneaky. Yeah the game is changing but recently I heard one say, "they're skating about a foot taller now!" This was after a fight.

Engine33
superstar
Total Posts: 2672
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-13 09:29 PM - Post#1513827    

I try to watch all the pens games on TV, and on occasion i'll watch some other teams. Ive never been to a nhl game, but i do have a few pens jerseys and clothes.

phantomenforcer
superstar
Total Posts: 2998
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:56 AM - Post#1513931    

In response to Engine33

I used to be really into hockey, doing fight tapes, trades, and even had a semi-popular website.

I made tapes and spent countless hours making my own tapes.

Around 2001/2002 on Thanksgiving weekend. There were tons of games on. I spent a long time on the logistics of taping every game with replays etc.. I used to set my alarm for the middle of the night to switch tapes to catch replays. Out of 30 or so games that weekend there was maybe two fights if there was even that many. I had been getting sick of the NHL and that was the final straw. I cancelled my center ice package and stopped going to games. I haven't even watched more than five minutes of a game since then.

I still check out the fight videos on FC from time to time, but mainly just visit for the non-hockey stuff. I don't miss hockey one bit because it is not the same game anymore.

Maguire19
Total Posts: 17951
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:00 AM - Post#1513937    

In response to phantomenforcer

Im done for the year. I always had a bad feeling Lindy's replacement would be worse...Fuck Ron Rolston.

Jax
Total Posts: 11214
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:12 AM - Post#1513939    

In response to Maguire19

I will watch the Flyers if they are on NBC or NBCSports, or Fox Sports Florida if they happen to be playing the Panthers. I do not and will not buy the Center Ice package. I only watch other teams if there is pretty much a guarantee of a marquee heavyweight matchup. I'm still on the "won't give them a dime of my money" kick. The Flyers were down here a few weeks ago and I choose to go to a book signing instead, even though it was their one stop down here this season. I almost went to see Toronto and Florida this week because I knew Parros and Orr was a lock and tix were going for $8 on stub hub. Then I realized the fight would probably happen early and then I would be stuck watching two teams I don't give a shit about for 2+ periods.
No thanks, NHL.

cashman rulz
legend
Total Posts: 12251
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:42 PM - Post#1514209    

In response to Jax

Posucky you done with the rangers too??

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
35 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 35 guests are online now.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.347 seconds.   Total Queries: 352   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 01:14 AM