hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: San Jose @ Dallas 2/23/13        (Topic#538949)
haymaker36
Total Posts: 13768
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 08:33 PM - Post#1514188    

Holy shit, Thornton and Benn just had a great fight! Thornton spears Benn in the nuts for some reason and issues the challenge. They have a huge squarely, and remove the lids. They tie up and exchange rights. Thornton then goes with a couple jersey jabs mixed in with the rights. Benn switches up to lefts, and then right back with the right hand. Thornton then catches Benn with two nice straight rights, but Benn takes them well. He then hits Thornton with a pretty good right hand. They tie up again, both throwing a few more between falling down. I'd say EDGE Thornton on first viewing for the two punches in the middle, but wouldn't argue a draw. The game was boring as shit before this, but has turned nasty.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

Big Gibby Tex
hall of famer
Total Posts: 8521
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 08:49 PM - Post#1514193    

In response to haymaker36

Great fight. It probably seemed better than it was because of who it was, but whatever. Benn led in with a solid head that snapped big Joes head back. Joe also landed at least one very solid right, that as Hay said, Ben took well. Great square off too. Without slow mo and breaking it down, I saw a solid draw. Good on both. I love Benn's game, and Thorton is still dangerous when he goes.

coot
superstar
Total Posts: 2560
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:12 PM - Post#1514196    

In response to Big Gibby Tex

Can't stand Thornton. Sneaky dirty player over the years. Spot picker big time. Loves to slash Euro's.

54rockin
rookie
Total Posts: 45
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:23 PM - Post#1514200    

Damn that was a thing of beauty, you kind of which all fights could be this way. Mutual agreement to go, then both guys are kind of eying each other as though leery of the fake glove drop thing - but both drop the gloves about the same time, then big slow semi circle during which we get mutual agreement to shed the lids. Great, great fight - both guy throwing heavy shots. Neither guy went in defensive mode at all, despite solid connections. I was watching at a bar on the beach in Santa Cruz and the whole place was clapping (...I thought I was the only fight fan west of Haymaker). Slight Edge Thornton, but can't argue a Draw - great showing by both. Agree with GibbyTex - Benn's game is freaking great.

Big Gibby Tex
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:25 PM - Post#1514202    

In response to coot

I'd probably enjoy slashing Euros if I played too.

I know everybody hates Rayzors calls on Stars fights, but I was amused with him call Thortorns but shot, "giving him the tickler."

Big Gibby Tex
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:32 PM - Post#1514205    

Morrow and Wingles dropped the gloves toward the end of the second, but the refs wouldn't let them go. Maybe in the third

haymaker36
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:38 PM - Post#1514206    

Well Detroit only has Euro's to slash, so....

My observation is that he always tries to get the other teams top guys off their game. He fought Getzlaf at center ice in the playoffs, challenged Kessler, was in the face of the Sedins, beat up Doughty before the playoffs last year. He obviously pissed Toews off enough to board him and instigate a fight with him.
"I may be an emotional cripple but am becoming a strong, burly fucking hunk of a man."

-Crowder

haymaker36
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:39 PM - Post#1514207    

• Big Gibby Tex Said:
Morrow and Wingles dropped the gloves toward the end of the second, but the refs wouldn't let them go. Maybe in the third

That was lame. The refs have been absolutely terrible all game. One just broke up a Stars' three on two rush.

-Crowder

FreezingTexan
legend
Total Posts: 12107
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:42 PM - Post#1514210    

Benn with the Gordie Howe hat trick tonight
Germany, it's like Wisconsin only with a really bad past.

Big Gibby Tex
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:45 PM - Post#1514211    

Yeah, They have been bad. Lots of "touching" fouls.

FreezingTexan
legend
Total Posts: 12107
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:48 PM - Post#1514213    

The Catholic Church coulda learned a lesson from them tonight.
Germany, it's like Wisconsin only with a really bad past.

Matt Dillon
legend
Total Posts: 18730
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 09:54 PM - Post#1514217    

In response to FreezingTexan

Benn is a great young player. When Pens traded for Neal, I really wanted Benn, Neal turned out well, but still Benn is awesome.

Never understood the whole Thornton is a spot picker thing, guy is a top score he isn't going to fight, even though he can.

Heard there was almost a second fight in this game, Dallas has been ripped here for having a pussy lineup, but overall they have a bunch of guys who know how to fight.

Edited by Matt Dillon on 02-23-13 09:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

InVain316
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5066
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:10 PM - Post#1514227    

In response to Matt Dillon

Wow, that was awesome. I'm a Joe Thornton homer, always will be. Benn HAd to fight after Joe basically sexually assaulted him, haha.

Anyways, decision Thornton. Nice to see two big, real good players drop the lids, and square off. Thornton went with the right hand, when he's a natural lefty.

Great stuff.

Big Gibby Tex
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:12 PM - Post#1514229    

In response to InVain316

Maybe Benn agreeing to take his visor-less lid off will teach some of the Stars up and coming "tough" kids the way. Roussel and Garbutt have both been guilty of leaving their lids on when they had the chance to dump them.

Honesty though, I'm just happy the Stars have had some emotion and a physical presence lately, after a dismal start.

Edited by Big Gibby Tex on 02-23-13 10:15 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Huard28
Total Posts: 29871
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:13 PM - Post#1514230    

Hats off to both those guys. Great tilt between star players. That's 2 in a row for JT.
"I never participate in the game anymore. It doesn't work. I am too bad. I only fight". - Link Gaetz

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 31642
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:13 PM - Post#1514231    

In response to coot

• coot Said:
Can't stand Thornton. Sneaky dirty player over the years. Spot picker big time. Loves to slash Euro's.

Euros = Red Wings...I can read between the lines.

-PR
Bee-dee Bee-dee Bee-dee

haymaker36
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:42 PM - Post#1514250    

In response to PuckRogue

It turns out Benn got Thornton in the junk which Joe returned in kind. So it was a back and forth junk-spearing contest that started this fight!

-Crowder

mtnbiker
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7307
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-13 10:53 PM - Post#1514258    

What a great fight and maybe one of the best for Thornton - as far as length of fight, punches taken and given. I'm not a fan of JT at all but I have to give him props for this fight and he gets the EDGE. Benn looked good as well. Props to both guys and another solid fight this season.

Very cool square off with the guys almost stalking each other, then the mutual helmet ditch and then right to business.

"This ends tonight!"
"It's daytime you douche."

Brawls16
legend
Total Posts: 11760
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-24-13 04:18 AM - Post#1514295    

In response to mtnbiker

That was frickin great!

Good for you Joe!
#1 - Brian McGrattan (Champ)
#2 - Jay Rosehill
#3 - Luke Gazdic

Fighter of the Year - McGrattan
Rookie of the Year - Gazdic
Fight of the Year - Lucic vs Rechlicz

Kordic
superstar
Total Posts: 2981
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-24-13 07:40 AM - Post#1514312    

In response to Brawls16

This was great stuff, from the square off all the way till the end. I do think Thornton gets the win, he landed a big shot or two and seemed to be more in control as he had the reach on Benn. Great replay of one right that landed flush on Benn. Great job by both and wish Benn would do it more often, he had a dandy with Iginla , was it last year or the year before?

The Stars have been a pleasant surprise this year as they looked to be a complete joke before the season. No designated hit man, but a core of guys who are willing to stick up for themselves and their teammates. Benn led them by example here.
My job description? If there's a problem on the ice, I just go out and fix it. - Dave Brown

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
54 Online Now
1 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 52 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "James Garner passes away" with 16 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.474 seconds.   Total Queries: 348   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 07:15 PM