hockey-fights.com
 Page 2 of 2 All<12
Username Post: Best 10 books you've read this year...        (Topic#546029)
lara parsons
prospect
Total Posts: 1
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-06-16 01:54 AM - Post#1677100    

In response to Tim-

I didn't read this book yet but I will for my own. I have read many of Shakespeare's and Alexander Mccall Smith.

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9627
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-14-16 07:23 PM - Post#1688265    

In response to lara parsons

2016 (no particular order)

1. Decoded - Mai Jin
2. Absolute Friends - John Le Carre
3. The Sympathizer - Viet Thanh Nguyen
4. A Rumor of War - Philip Caputo
5. The Brothers (Dulles) - Stephen Kinzer
6. The Power of the Dog - Don Winslow
7. Ghost Soldiers - Hampton Sides
8. The Last Flight of Poxl West - Daniel Torday
9. An Army at Dawn - Rick Atkinson
10. So You Don't Get Lost in the Neighborhood - Patrick Modiano
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 28805
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-15-16 06:25 AM - Post#1688285    

In response to taz

Thanks for the list Taz - Going to check out the book on Dulles Bros
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

STLChapman
all star
Total Posts: 2061
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-20-16 09:05 AM - Post#1688604    

In response to Johnny_Upton

1.) The Stand - Stephen King
2.) Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
3.) American Buffalo - Steven Rinella
4.) Paddy's Lament - Thomas Gallagher

Comics

Preacher - Garth Ennis
Batman: The Killing Joke - Alan Moore

Edited by STLChapman on 12-20-16 09:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

juha82
legend
Total Posts: 10210
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-29-17 08:34 AM - Post#1699898    

In response to STLChapman

My favourite area = psychology, filosofy, religions/faith, sport, music, food, healthy and politic.
Also everything science, also "non-sense" science makes my day like astrology/horoscopes or religion or something like other.

irish_66
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9157
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
05-31-17 09:12 AM - Post#1699976    

In response to juha82

I read mostly in the summer and down the shore, I have read 6 books thus far, 3 have been "cant put down" books, 2 good ones and 1 very fair book.

3 great books imo-"Born To Run" Springsteen-great insight into his family especially.
The Mike Love autobiography-sheds so much on his relationship with Brian Wilson and surprisingly well-written.
Janesville-a loom at a faltering town in the Recession years.

2 good ones:28 Seconds-a book by a Zapruder relative on the famous tape and investigation that followed.
Johnny Marr autobiography -excellent quick read

1 fair book-Riverton Rifle-Reggie Leach bio-good but fairly short. More needed on his NHL days.
Gretzky to Hextall after Hexy stoned him on a breakaway in Hexy's first game:"Who the hell are you?"
Hextall's response:"Who the hell are you?"

HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 3310
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-03-17 03:35 PM - Post#1700181    

In response to irish_66

I have actually read ten books this year. Not a calendar year but since October of 2016 I have read about ten "Jack Reacher" novels and three or four "Dave Robicheaux" novels. Child and Burke wrote them respectively.

I am amazed at how many times each author writes the same page of type. Not verbatim but close to it. With the Clete Purcell character in James Lee Burke crime novels it could be verbatim. With Lee Child and Jack Reacher it is close with his description of Jack's addiction to coffee.

In both cases I find myself saying this author loves a word ending in "ellum" With Child it is the use of the word "parabellum" as the ammo one uses for a hadgun. With Burke it is "antebellum" as he describes the style of Louisianna during the late 19th century.

I admit I have seen this thread throughout the many years I have posted and thought of the phrase I told a good friend of mine in High School: "There are those who read good stories, those who write good stories and those who live good stories." He asked, "Who said that?" I replied, "I did." We were both in our late teens and at the age where we were trying to figure out this world.

These were deemed "light reading" by my know it all brother who cannot help to cut to the quick in a negative way about anything I do. I unfortunately am good at this too as I grew up in a household which practice being "realistic." Both authors deal with very corrupt people with money as a motive or have money. Burke paints a great picture of New Orleans and New Iberia and the surrounding Gulf Coast. Child does a great job a relaying Reacher's methods of deduction and exposes the ex-Mp's way of thinking in finding one who needs to be found.

I read all these after my "doggers" had passed last Fall and they have done a great job of getting out of my grief. Tho, my significant other thinks it has darkened my mood a bit.

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-04-17 03:03 PM - Post#1700214    

In response to HenryHanson

So to rate the books: "Creole Belle", "Jolie Blons Bounce", and "Cadillac Jukebox" are all by Burke and I liked better than Lee Child's series about Reacher. And I don't have time to sort out the 7 best of those of the 10 or so I've read lately.

Edited by HenryHanson on 06-04-17 03:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9627
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-10-17 07:57 AM - Post#1700551    

In response to HenryHanson

I don't care for the Jack Reacher books, I tried the first three but really struggled to enjoy them so I moved on from the series.

Burke's novels, however, I love. He has an ability to describe surroundings, smells and sights which is uncanny. His dialogue is terrific and he gives his protagonists some serious character flaws. I've read the entire series (as well as the Billy Bob Holland series) and I think my favorites are Black Cherry Blues and Purple Cane Road.

HH, you might want to give John Connolly a try. A terrific series with the main character Charlie Parker with some of the best bad guys you'll ever encounter.
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

HenryHanson
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
06-15-17 02:28 PM - Post#1700834    

In response to taz

I tried going thru the Lee Child website and rate the books of his I read. I had forgotten I'd read them. You are so right about Burke in your description of his descriptions. Lately I read Swan Lake, and now am into The Light of the World which take place in Montana. This library doesn't have any more Robicheaux novels in it so I might check out Billy Bob Holland. I am enjoying Clete Purcell and his daughter Gretchen in Burke's novels.

Page 2 of 2 All<12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
92 Online Now
1 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 91 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "GA-06 Special Election" with 20 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.188 seconds.   Total Queries: 194   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 08:59 PM