hockey-fights.com
 Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Is There a Bigger Hollywood Shitlib Than...        (Topic#549039)
foolish
superstar
Total Posts: 2997
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-28-17 09:11 AM - Post#1704492    

In response to Canucko29

I think the LGBTQ and Jewish populations are disproportionately represented amongst the power brokers in Hollywood. So long as the GOP keeps the suppression of gay rights/protections, and fails to shed the extreme alt-right, no one in Hollywood who needs to work is going to step up and say "I support the party that wants to make it ok to discriminate against the next 40 employers I will have b/c they are gay".

If conservatives were still primarily concerned with the economy rather than social issues there would be more open support in Hollywood. As it stands, they keep the flyover states and lose show business. its a fair trade. No party is getting both while focusing on social issues

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29084
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-28-17 09:53 AM - Post#1704493    

In response to foolish

Other than Gay marriage and maybe forcing people to bake cakes how what else is the GOP doing to "suppress" homosexuals? Hollywood is so far up its own ass that you probably could never reach 80% of the talent.

Not sure how you unwind social issues from economic/political ones (eg Welfare, Min wage, etc). Its a soundbite, that sounds good but with even a cursory look, isn't possible.

Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-28-17 10:47 AM - Post#1704494    

In response to Johnny_Upton

Isn't marriage enough? Juts because you don't care about it, you can't see how the people actually affected by it might care?

And then there is shit like this: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/u-s-a ppeal...

And, as for the unwinding the economical/political, I don't disagree with you, its probably impossible....but you examples are the conservative talking points. There are tons of issues of wasteful fiscal policy that don't affect the poor and marginalized. How about the $1.5 Trillion wasted by the pentagon in the last decade or so (story came out a day ago, don't remember the specifics)? How about ending tax exemption for churches? Cutting the handouts to farmers and bankers? There are ways the GOP could streamline the gov without hammering the gays and the poor. The democrats aren't doing shit in these areas either, so its fertile ground for new ideas.

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29084
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-28-17 11:11 AM - Post#1704495    

In response to foolish

Its not that I dont care about it, its that its a silly wedge issue used by both parties. There is zero reason not to give gay couples the same contractual rights as hetro's. The argument over the definition of marriage is a red herring. Set up a standard contract for Hetero/Homo. Problem solved

Someones waste is anothers essential program. You'd have zero issue from me if you universally cut Gov 10% across the board.

The Church tax one does have a slippery slope attached to it. Gov could fairly effectively outlaw certain religions via tax laws.

Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-28-17 12:06 PM - Post#1704498    

In response to Johnny_Upton

That was a little harsh on my side - gay marriage is something for you and I to banter over, but for the homos out there its almost life and death, it is front and center (in their view) in the fight to be considered equal members of society. Its not a red herring to them. And I agree completely with you about the standard contract - just try to get the evangelicals on board with that.

Lastly, the church tax is my pet issue. Now that there are dozens of for profit churches, or churches engaging in serious political speech, its time to do away with their tax status. When Prop 8 failed in California I lived in SF. I, and most of my friends, received "robocalls" arguing against allowing gay marriage. The vote made gay marriage illegal, and it was later determined that the calls were from out of state religious organizations. That is not right. In my mind, Either they pay taxes or they should be required to serve a "real" public service to maintain their status. Regardless of the details, and who did whats, when there is a disaster or need, churches should be the first spaces re-purposed for shelter and humanitarian needs. Then comes schools. then everything else.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 13421
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
09-28-17 01:16 PM - Post#1704501    

In response to foolish

Let's not kid ourselves here, one of the main drivers of Hollywood liberalism is the race issue.

The problem with Hollywood liberals is they want to believe that the biggest reason certain segments of minorities remain poor and their economic progress is slow is because of white people and they firmly believe the only way they'll ever recover is through white people. Quite the eurocentric approach, but anyways...

The truth of the matter is is that there is not enough wealth or money around to change the unfortunate situation of a lot of minorities without changing some of their regressive attitudes.

The first nations in Canada are a prime example of this. I used to be a liberal on this issue until I seen how much money First Nations receive from all sources of government. We have gotten more reparations than any minority and probably the history of the world, at least the Indigenous world, we receive the most subsidies for housing, non insured benefits (I don't pay a nickel into Health like most people do), and we get free post-secondary education (though I paid for mine). And yet we are the poorest people in Canada, have the worst housing, worst health indicators and the lowest number of First Nation graduates in post-secondary of any ethnicity.

Edited by Canucko29 on 09-28-17 01:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 13421
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
10-13-17 12:10 AM - Post#1705349    

In response to Canucko29

Well, it simply appears to me that Hollywood thinks it is more important than it really is.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/seth-meyers-e...

I can't believe how overt some of them are in their brainwashing campaign. This a****** says if you watch Trump, don't watch me? What world do I live in?

I was thinking about it today and as much as I cannot stand that phony Elizabeth Warren, I would never tolerate some of the behavior we've seen from the left against Trump supporters against her. And if it keeps up, and she gets in, bye bye civility. What goes around, comes around.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
108 Online Now
3 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 105 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is ""Past Presidents Never Called Families"" with 30 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.172 seconds.   Total Queries: 145   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 02:27 PM