hockey-fights.com
 Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Kushner Security Clearance        (Topic#549220)
Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 31645
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 03:06 PM - Post#1702065    

In response to Marcelino Jeopardy

• Marcelino Jeopardy Said:
Oh yeah, everyone I know gets MORE selfish as they get older.

(also, conservatives donate more than liberals)

Donate to Churches.

How many people become liberal after being lifelong Republicans in your experience?

Happens the other way around all the time.

foolish
superstar
Total Posts: 2786
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 04:28 PM - Post#1702067    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:

My mother is a moderate liberal. Raised me as a liberal. Probably the most important person to any success I've ever enjoyed, set a great example getting her law degree and passing the bar exam in '93 and is very well respected by most people who know her. So I don't hate liberals at all. I've maintained many liberal stances.

She went from far left to moderate much like Hike here did, but absolutely detests the SJW movement (I know, you aren't a fan either). I even caught her saying one day that the feminist movement is dead. This is a woman who was the president of the biggest First Nation feminist movement of our province, lol.

I guess we all have our influences.

Thats pretty funny.

My mom is a fierce liberal, devout agnostic and extremely proud Canadian. Contrasted with my (by the time I was 12 or so) deeply devote Catholic dad, I credit her with bringing out my skeptical/questioning nature.

I don't think she'll ever forgive me for moving to the USA!

Edited by foolish on 07-18-17 04:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Posux
Senior Vet
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 04:37 PM - Post#1702068    

In response to foolish

http://nypost.com/2017/07/18/hundreds-o f-boys-phys...

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 28832
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 06:23 PM - Post#1702069    

In response to Posux

• Posux Said:
Or people just want to selfishly pay less taxes as they get older.

Or as one ages and gains wisdom, they understand how .gov pisses money away and don't want to stand for such foolishness
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

Beagle
hall of famer
Total Posts: 7660
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 07:32 PM - Post#1702070    

In response to Johnny_Upton

• Johnny_Upton Said:
  • Posux Said:

Or as one ages and gains wisdom, they understand how .gov pisses money away and don't want to stand for such foolishness

Yup. One does age and gain wisdom, but hopefully we have already been advised at an early age by the wisdom of our parents and can recognise this foolishness in advance. Current and future generations? I have my doubts..

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 20647
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 08:45 PM - Post#1702071    

In response to Posux

• Posux Said:

It's not like they are having drug-fueled gay orgies at the Vatican.

....wait...yep...they are!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4667098/V a...
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

Posux
Senior Vet
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-19-17 11:21 AM - Post#1702081    

In response to Johnny_Upton

• Johnny_Upton Said:
  • Posux Said:

Yes like building walls.

Instigator24
all star
Total Posts: 2046
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-20-17 06:59 AM - Post#1702099    

In response to Posux

• Posux Said:

It's shameful the church hasn't cleaned house and properly addressed its sordid. The old regime and those with blind faith just deny or avoid acknowledging this shit. It's in their best interest to blow things up now, and get with the times before the tight lipped, antiquated heirarchy sweep more dirt under the rug and those responsible for these crimes are too old or dead and never see punishment. I'm not anti-Catholic, and I think a non-literal interpretation of portions of the bible can produce a young generation or moral people. But if this nonsense keeps rearing its ugly head, Catholicism will lose any shred of credibility it has left.

Kanrok
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-20-17 12:01 PM - Post#1702104    

In response to Instigator24

• Instigator24 Said:
  • Posux Said:

It's shameful the church hasn't cleaned house and properly addressed its sordid. The old regime and those with blind faith just deny or avoid acknowledging this shit. It's in their best interest to blow things up now, and get with the times before the tight lipped, antiquated heirarchy sweep more dirt under the rug and those responsible for these crimes are too old or dead and never see punishment. I'm not anti-Catholic, and I think a non-literal interpretation of portions of the bible can produce a young generation or moral people. But if this nonsense keeps rearing its ugly head, Catholicism will lose any shred of credibility it has left.

I agree that the Church needs reformation on some issues. The sex abuse scandal was horrible, and anyone involved in it deserves prison, and the diocese that hid those events should be bankrupted. It's the only way to clean house.

I think the Church in the US has done a good job of cleaning house since they were forced - a the edge of a sword - to do so back in the early 2000s.

There are some very troubling things going on in the Catholic Church at the highest levels currently. Pope Francis, for all of the good things he's done, has done damage to the Church, especially in light of Amoris laeteita. His inability to clarify issues about providing communion to divorced and civilly remarried Catholics is problematic.

It is very hard for the parish priest to teach doctrine to his parishioners when the doctrine appears to be on shaky ground.

More importantly, there are things going on at the Vatican that make it extremely hard for average Catholics to take the Church seriously on issues of morals and values.

There is the Vatican Bank scandal for instance. There is the story of the Cardinal who spent millions on decorating his home - all from Church funds. And there is the story I posted above, about a Cardinal's apartment at the Vatican being used by priests for drug filled gay orgies (not that heterosexual orgies are any better or less sinful!).

All in all I can see why people would question the validity of Catholic teaching when many of those responsible for the teaching are blatantly hypocritical.

So I don't want to argue about hypocrisy.

I am interested in your take on what you perceive Catholic Biblical interpretation to be. I think you might be surprised to find out what it truly is.
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

Instigator24
all star
Total Posts: 2046
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-20-17 12:35 PM - Post#1702106    

In response to Kanrok

I think what I meant was that I'm not against Catholicism or have issues with how the majority of the 'flock' interpret the bible. If you look from the outside, you see somewhat of a story book, some, if most coming across as outlandish fantasy (mostly Old Testament if memory serves correctly). Now, with that said, a religion born in a time when there was no scientific fact to prove these tales wrong, I'm sure it was highly effective, and most likely necessary to persuade the rabble to join 'the good side'. That's how I see it, as I'm sure the majority do. But there's probably a few zealots waiting for the four horsemen of the apocalypse to ride again.

I think my main point is, read between the lines, and take the good teachings to heart. Belief is never a bad thing to have, as long as it doesn't hurt others. And if a believer fears the wrath of his/her god shall they sin, then that's not such a bad thing.

Kanrok
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-20-17 01:06 PM - Post#1702107    

In response to Instigator24

I don't disagree.

Growing up in the Church we never really studied the Bible the way many Protestants do.

But growing older, I took it upon myself to actually study it. It is an amazing collection of books written in different literary styles, employing different literary techniques and designed to teach eternal truths.

The Old Testament is very interesting. Reading the way early Church fathers interpreted the text is fascinating. Most Catholic biblical scholars, and apologists and theologians will say that many OT stories are didactic fiction (the Book of Jonah is a great example). Stories meant to teach.

I've never read the Bible thinking it was all literally true (Jonah in the belly of the whale for three days and three nights?). But as you inferred, there is a lot to be learned and applied from the Bible.

- K. Perry

foolish
superstar
Total Posts: 2786
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-20-17 02:02 PM - Post#1702108    

In response to Kanrok

I went through the whole catholic school program - from K-grade 13.

I remember the New Testament being taught as "parables" and the word parable being defined as a story with a message rather than being factually accurate. I distinctly recall the teachers talking about the story of Jesus feeding the crowd with the fishes and loaves as meaning that faith in God will sustain your soul in the way that food sustains your body.....

....as a scientist its funny to see how the more extreme sects of Christianity take literal - i.e. scientific - interpretations of the bible but decline to accept scientific data as factual....

HEAVYWEIGHT
legend
Total Posts: 10401
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-22-17 01:51 PM - Post#1702200    

In response to foolish

I think jared and invanka are shitties, could give a flying insert bad word here.

Page 4 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
73 Online Now
2 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 71 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Voter Fraud" with 40 replies.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.359 seconds.   Total Queries: 239   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 07:41 PM