hockey-fights.com
 Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Username Post: Kushner Security Clearance        (Topic#549220)
foolish
superstar
Total Posts: 2999
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-17-17 12:18 PM - Post#1702035    

In response to Kanrok

• Kanrok Said:
Or you can grow up in the Catholic Church, drift away, search other religions and find them lacking, get married, have kids, become more active in the Catholic Church, then study everything you can get your hands on and conclude that the church you attend as a youth actually got it right.

You just told my father's story in the RC Church. I have a sneaking suspicion it may end up being mine as well (kinda hope it does).

What you are talking about is completely different to the person who never doubts anything for a second of their life. While undoubtedly there is a lot of comfort and relief in never searching or asking questions, I don't see any way its a sign of an open mind. A simple one perhaps.... not an open one.

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 21157
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-17-17 12:31 PM - Post#1702036    

In response to foolish

I hope it does too!
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 31924
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-17-17 02:45 PM - Post#1702037    

In response to Kanrok

• Kanrok Said:
Or you can grow up in the Catholic Church, drift away, search other religions and find them lacking, get married, have kids, become more active in the Catholic Church, then study everything you can get your hands on and conclude that the church you attend as a youth actually got it right.

As a Catholic I find this interesting. I have grown further and further away as time has gone on purely based on the behavior of the Church. Even recently, just purely disgusting behavior.

Kanrok
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-17-17 03:21 PM - Post#1702039    

In response to Posux

• Posux Said:
  • Kanrok Said:

As a Catholic I find this interesting. I have grown further and further away as time has gone on purely based on the behavior of the Church. Even recently, just purely disgusting behavior.

I get it. Many feel the same way. I also do. I want to see anyone connected to the abuse scandal put away and the victims compensated. But I can separate what individuals do from what the Church teaches. I don't believe in protecting the wrongdoers, but I do believe in protecting those (the vast majority) who had zero to do with it.

“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 36995
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 10:28 AM - Post#1702046    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
Rejecting one's religious or political views wholeheartedly and 100% isn't the standard for being open-minded. I would suggest the standard is being able to see the other side of the argument and being able to understand its merits.

I would suggest that the majority of people who have abandoned their religion did so probably because their prayers weren't being answered.

However, in all fairness, the same can be said for liberals who become conservative.

I would suggest, and I think the facts would bear this out, that maturity and wisdom drive liberals to conservatism...

-PR

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 10:39 AM - Post#1702047    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:
Rejecting one's religious or political views wholeheartedly and 100% isn't the standard for being open-minded. I would suggest the standard is being able to see the other side of the argument and being able to understand its merits.

I would suggest that the majority of people who have abandoned their religion did so probably because their prayers weren't being answered.

However, in all fairness, the same can be said for liberals who become conservative.

I would suggest, and I think the facts would bear this out, that maturity and wisdom drive liberals to conservatism...

-PR

"Maturity and wisdom"? I think "cynicism and bitterness" do it as well.

Canucko29
legend
Total Posts: 13515
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 11:28 AM - Post#1702048    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
  • PuckRogue Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

-PR

"Maturity and wisdom"? I think "cynicism and bitterness" do it as well.

I actually agree with cynicism, an underrated quality, but anger? If conservatives are angry, then what the hell are liberals? Did you see conservatives make Hillary Clinton run around the perimeter of an arena with hee security detail to avoid rioters?

I would probably agree with maybe "frustrated."

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 11:50 AM - Post#1702049    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:

I actually agree with cynicism, an underrated quality, but anger? If conservatives are angry, then what the hell are liberals? Did you see conservatives make Hillary Clinton run around the perimeter of an arena with hee security detail to avoid rioters?

I could defer to frustrated, but that frustration usually manifests itself in angry tirades against kids, liberals, minorities, the gov. In my mind I'm envisioning the grumpy old guy who is mad at the world and convinced he's been done wrong (rather than recognizing that his failures are his own doing).

In my experience, that old bastard is always a conservative. My in-laws have 7 total siblings in Wisconsin, 5 are general failures dependent on handouts, 2 are very successful. 5 are HUGE Trump/Walker supporters.... 2 were heavy HRC. You do the

Posux
Senior Vet
Total Posts: 31924
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 12:24 PM - Post#1702051    

In response to foolish

Or people just want to selfishly pay less taxes as they get older.

Marcelino Jeopardy
superstar
Total Posts: 4178
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 12:26 PM - Post#1702052    

In response to Posux

Oh yeah, everyone I know gets MORE selfish as they get older.

(also, conservatives donate more than liberals)

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 12:27 PM - Post#1702053    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

I could defer to frustrated, but that frustration usually manifests itself in angry tirades against kids, liberals, minorities, the gov. In my mind I'm envisioning the grumpy old guy who is mad at the world and convinced he's been done wrong (rather than recognizing that his failures are his own doing).

In my experience, that old bastard is always a conservative. My in-laws have 7 total siblings in Wisconsin, 5 are general failures dependent on handouts, 2 are very successful. 5 are HUGE Trump/Walker supporters.... 2 were heavy HRC. You do the

Well then... I'm totally with. Let's work together to get rid out of handouts and put your old conservative in-laws out of their misery. You can send out the fliers and I'll do the public speaking.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 12:27 PM - Post#1702054    

In response to Marcelino Jeopardy

• Marcelino Jeopardy Said:
Oh yeah, everyone I know gets MORE selfish as they get older.

(also, conservatives donate more than liberals)

Tip better too.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 12:38 PM - Post#1702055    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

I could defer to frustrated, but that frustration usually manifests itself in angry tirades against kids, liberals, minorities, the gov.

With liberals, they get frustrated with... well... everybody who doesn't agree with them, including kids, liberals, minorities and the government.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 36995
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 12:51 PM - Post#1702056    

In response to Posux

• Posux Said:
Or people just want to selfishly pay less taxes as they get older.

You mean "keep mine" selfish over "give me yours" selfish?

Yes. Yes you do.

-PR

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 12:59 PM - Post#1702058    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
  • foolish Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

I could defer to frustrated, but that frustration usually manifests itself in angry tirades against kids, liberals, minorities, the gov.

With liberals, they get frustrated with... well... everybody who doesn't agree with them, including kids, liberals, minorities and the government.

never said we were perfect....

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 01:03 PM - Post#1702059    

In response to Canucko29

• Canucko29 Said:
  • foolish Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

Well then... I'm totally with. Let's work together to get rid out of handouts and put your old conservative in-laws out of their misery. You can send out the fliers and I'll do the public speaking.

Ha!! My wife has an aunt who convinced the gov that she was disabled (she isn't) in 1982. Has lived off the system ever since. Lives in a 2 bedroom apt where she pays $36/month rent (utilities included) and recently convinced (brow-beat) her doctors into dual hip replacements (gov dime) b/c she saw how much attention a different lady in her building got when she got the surgery. This aunt is a life long republican and blames everything on lazy freeloading liberals. As long as the GOP is pro-life she will support any cut to welfare that they propose. Its absolutely insane.

Canucko29
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 01:11 PM - Post#1702061    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:
  • foolish Said:
  • Canucko29 Said:

Ha!! My wife has an aunt who convinced the gov that she was disabled (she isn't) in 1982. Has lived off the system ever since. Lives in a 2 bedroom apt where she pays $36/month rent (utilities included) and recently convinced (brow-beat) her doctors into dual hip replacements (gov dime) b/c she saw how much attention a different lady in her building got when she got the surgery. This aunt is a life long republican and blames everything on lazy freeloading liberals. As long as the GOP is pro-life she will support any cut to welfare that they propose. Its absolutely insane.

My mother is a moderate liberal. Raised me as a liberal. Probably the most important person to any success I've ever enjoyed, set a great example getting her law degree and passing the bar exam in '93 and is very well respected by most people who know her. So I don't hate liberals at all. I've maintained many liberal stances.

She went from far left to moderate much like Hike here did, but absolutely detests the SJW movement (I know, you aren't a fan either). I even caught her saying one day that the feminist movement is dead. This is a woman who was the president of the biggest First Nation feminist movement of our province, lol.

I guess we all have our influences.

Kanrok
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 01:19 PM - Post#1702062    

In response to foolish

Really?

I don't know about what goes on in your neck of the woods, but I have clients with life long real disabilities who cannot get government assistance. Most do, but some don't. They get declined as a matter of course, and the appeals process is crazy. Maybe back in the 80's it was easier. I didn't start work in this area of the law until the mid 90's.

As for doctors getting "brow-beaten" into bilateral hip replacement surgery. Sorry, but I find that hard to believe. There has to be documented radiological proof of joint degeneration, significant pain and loss of range of motion and failure of conservative treatment protocals to qualify for hip replacement surgery. Doctors don't just take a patient's word for it.

But hey! There's always exceptions to the rule.

- K. Perry

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 02:06 PM - Post#1702063    

In response to Kanrok

KR - she's closer to your neck of the woods - Milwaukee WI. I shit you not about any of this. The difference between her and your clients is probably that she is wiley as a fox. And just as determined. If we could harness her drive for good she would have a nobel prize or two.

I'll ask my Father-in-law for some details, but it was presented to me that over the course of 8 or so months she complained enough to get it done.

I do know that a few months before she had the surgery she visited Oregon. She kept insisting on being wheeled around in a chair, but when she forgot, it was quite clear that her getaway sticks were still perfectly functional

Kanrok
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
07-18-17 02:25 PM - Post#1702064    

In response to foolish

It's habit for me to question.

I'm preternaturally opposed to anecdote!

- K. Perry

Page 3 of 4 « First<1234
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
96 Online Now
0 viewable users and 1 hidden plus 95 guests are online now.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.313 seconds.   Total Queries: 342   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 04:42 PM