hockey-fights.com
Username Post: The A's        (Topic#549252)
HenryHanson
superstar
Total Posts: 3339
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-06-17 03:20 PM - Post#1702638    

A while back the SF Chronicle had written that the A's would stop sending away its players. I just checked MLB.com and Yonder Alonso is a Mariner. I cannot believed I was surprised. I am reading Scott Turbow's new book a look back on the A's dynasty of the 70's. It was mind boggling the players the A's developed. In Moneyball Billy Beane brought in geeks and tore apart the old regime of scouts. According to the movie he started a trend of the way GM's think and field a team. Theo Epstein was hired where Beane turned down the Redsox and won a few WS, then he goes to Chicago, the NOrthside, and wins it all too. Meanwhile Beane is still shuffling players around for the perfect..., I just can't tell ya anymore. Five years ago they were a series away from the WS and three years ago they lost to the two time defending ALC Royals. I'd guess if they had time to mature as a team... ah fukit.

Edited by HenryHanson on 08-06-17 03:31 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

stockfan
legend
Total Posts: 14994
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-06-17 08:53 PM - Post#1702640    

In response to HenryHanson

Also recently they have given away Brad Peacock and Drew Pomeranz who have both gone on to flourish.
Ineptocracy— a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing.

Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10287
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

08-07-17 04:03 PM - Post#1702670    

In response to stockfan

You don't think a limited budget has anything to do with it? Epstein has thrived in 2 cities where money was no object. Can't say the same for Beane.

NYRfan
legend
Total Posts: 34301
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
08-08-17 03:34 PM - Post#1702708    

In response to Pete

The fire sale by Charlie O. Finley was epic. He stocked all the best teams in the AL for the next 5 years. Rudi, Bando, Tenace, Reggie, Claudell, Catfish, Rollie, Holtzman, Blue Moon, Vida Blue. Herb Washington lol.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
94 Online Now
2 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 92 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Niger" with 45 replies.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.125 seconds.   Total Queries: 108   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 05:11 PM