hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Malcolm Young: We Hardly Knew Ye        (Topic#549603)
Fotiu
Total Posts: 17191
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-19-17 07:39 AM - Post#1706977    

Odd to be starting this thread on this site. but we did know ye - You kicked fucking ass.

One of my regrets is never having seen AC/DC live.

Thanks for everything, man. My FC friends will be able to share way more memories of you than I have.

Godspeed.
“I know words, I have the best words.”

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29208
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-19-17 12:06 PM - Post#1706982    

In response to Fotiu

Guy could write a play a hook that made you take notice

RIP
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

tmc
superstar
Total Posts: 3211
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-19-17 10:23 PM - Post#1706997    

In response to Johnny_Upton

Saw them in 83 Flick of the switch...Had a chance a couple years back but 200 hundred was a little rich for me. Should of went but didn't. Had him in the BL deadpool.... One of my fondest memories was coming home from school one day and having my older brother hands me the headphones and said listen to this....Highway to Hell... While none of our family members were musicians we always had music, Dad=Johnny Cash, Stompin Tom, Johnny Horton, older brothers Nazareth, Ted Nugent, Supertramp, Seger. When I heard AC/DC for the first time I knew it was something else.

RIP Malcolm Young.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37065
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-20-17 01:49 PM - Post#1707021    

In response to tmc

He was the songwriting genius behind two of the greatest rock albums ever, plus numerous other amazing songs. RIP

-PR

Irons
superstar
Total Posts: 3737
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-20-17 03:08 PM - Post#1707023    

In response to PuckRogue

My rock hero growing up. He was the genius behind that band, but wanted non of the credit or limelight. He was the most down to earth, no ego "rock star" you'd ever meet. He let his younger brother Angus get all of the accolades, press and fame. His double entendre lyrics are legendary and arguably the best ever. No one wrote so many hooks on three chords better than him. He only played lead and the solos on 2 or 3 of their early songs then was perfectly happy standing at the back of the stage playing that rhythm guitar that was perfect for that band. His writing credits on so many rock classics are too numerous to list here. AC/DC were the first band that I ever saw live back in 1983 and hundreds of bands later they haven't been topped.

Edited by Irons on 11-20-17 03:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-20-17 04:13 PM - Post#1707027    

In response to Irons

Sink the Pink - One of my favorite double entendre lyrics/Songs ever.

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-20-17 04:18 PM - Post#1707028    

In response to Fotiu

Q88
all star
Total Posts: 2031
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-20-17 06:43 PM - Post#1707031    

In response to Fotiu

My introduction to AC/DC was early high school when 'Let There Be Rock' came out. I believe the 1st song I heard was 'Problem Child' when a buddy of mine spun the LP while we were at his house during lunch break..probably smoking pot. 'Problem Child' would continue to be one of my all-time favorite songs from the band.

I was able to see them on their "For Those About to Rock" tour with Brian Johnson, BUT I almost saw them with Scott back in the late 70s when they were touring with Aerosmith. We had 7th row (about 15 of us), but Aerosmith canceled the show the day of (couldn't get the trucks across the border or something - can't recall . . . ), and I never saw them live til the Brian Johnson era.

I kinda got off of them after 'Who Made Who', and was never the same kind of fan again - I was starting to get into a lot of different stuff at that point. However, I always thought highly of them and still can enjoy much of their older stuff. I might be one of the few that thinks, 'Flick of the Switch' was one of the better releases. I loved that album. I also might be one of the only people you'll meet that DOESN'T like 'Dirty Deeds . . ' . . . . overplayed to death.

I remember exactly where I was standing when I heard the news about Bon Scott.

As a sidenote - a band I played drums in while a teen actually played an old Geordie tune, when NOBODY in this part of the world had any clue who Brian Johnson was (Geordie lead vocalist). A couple years later, and he's heading one the world's biggest rock acts.

Yes, Malcolm was the driving force of that band. And everyone in that band was well aware of it. As mentioned above, his ability to write a wicked rock hook is beyond impressive. The guy had it.

Edited by Q88 on 11-20-17 06:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Irons
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-21-17 09:30 AM - Post#1707037    

In response to Q88

Flick Of The Switch continues to be in my top 5 AC/DC albums ever. Such a hard driving, no frills hard rock record. It was like they didn't care if it had a hit single. They just wanted to punch you in the face, knock you down then punch you again. I dig every song on that album. They were getting too polished with Mutt Lang producing and did that record on their own and you could tell they just wanted to get back to basics. Hell, you couldn't get more basic than that album cover. My buds teased me for years over that. For me, Guns For Hire remains the greatest opening song for a concert ever!! Those simple, opening chords just ripped me to shreds. That tour with Fastway opening still remains my favorite.

Q88
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-21-17 01:50 PM - Post#1707061    

In response to Irons

• Irons Said:
Flick Of The Switch continues to be in my top 5 AC/DC albums ever. Such a hard driving, no frills hard rock record. It was like they didn't care if it had a hit single. They just wanted to punch you in the face, knock you down then punch you again. I dig every song on that album. They were getting too polished with Mutt Lang producing and did that record on their own and you could tell they just wanted to get back to basics. Hell, you couldn't get more basic than that album cover. My buds teased me for years over that. For me, Guns For Hire remains the greatest opening song for a concert ever!! Those simple, opening chords just ripped me to shreds. That tour with Fastway opening still remains my favorite.

Yes sir..."Guns For Hire" along with "House Is On Fire" my 2 favorite tracks on the album.

With Fastway? Fuck....that would have been a hell of a kick ass show. I would have liked to see Fastway. I loved that 1st album of theirs.

There were some wicked rock acts around at that time - early to mid 80s. When hair-metal started to evolve, I actually went into another direction and started getting into bands like The Smithereens, The Rainmakers, Jason and the Scorchers, The Beat Farmers, etc.

But you can't go wrong throwing on some old AC/DC, Montrose, or UFO every once in a while

I was actually listening to an old Tygers of Pan Tang tune last week!!

Irons
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-21-17 05:03 PM - Post#1707079    

In response to Q88

• Q88 Said:
  • Irons Said:

Yes sir..."Guns For Hire" along with "House Is On Fire" my 2 favorite tracks on the album.

With Fastway? Fuck....that would have been a hell of a kick ass show. I would have liked to see Fastway. I loved that 1st album of theirs.

There were some wicked rock acts around at that time - early to mid 80s. When hair-metal started to evolve, I actually went into another direction and started getting into bands like The Smithereens, The Rainmakers, Jason and the Scorchers, The Beat Farmers, etc.

But you can't go wrong throwing on some old AC/DC, Montrose, or UFO every once in a while

I was actually listening to an old Tygers of Pan Tang tune last week!!

Tygers!!!

I had the pleasure of hanging backstage with UFO & Saxon a month or so ago. Lots of laughs with those guys especially Phil Moog! That man is a trip. And as great as Schenker is, my boy Vinnie Moore can play him note for note.

Fastway blew me away that night! One of the best opening bands I've seen. Too bad they didn't stick with it because those first two albums are killer that I still listen to a lot.

As far as Flick goes, Bedlam In Belgium and Nervous Shakedown I dig as well as the ones you mentioned.

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37065
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-22-17 02:36 PM - Post#1707130    

In response to Irons

I've tried, but have never been able to get into Tygers.

Fastway was a really great band.

-PR

Q88
all star
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
11-23-17 12:00 PM - Post#1707182    

In response to PuckRogue

• PuckRogue Said:
I've tried, but have never been able to get into Tygers.

Fastway was a really great band.

-PR

I was never a big fan of them, but I really liked "Wildcats". About that time, the metal bands I was into included Motorhead ("Another Perfect Day" one of my favorite releases OF ALL TIME), Thin Lizzy (loved "Thunder and Lightning"), kinda Iron Maiden (the first few albums). If I recall, I really liked the 1st Krocus release. Saxon wasn't bad. I still liked the Scorpions and Priest, but I was never a true metalhead. And while never a true punk at all, I LOVED the Pistols (still) and really liked The Dead Kennedys and The Ramones. I was kinda all over the map. Still am. I can listen to Dean Martin and then 10 minutes later some New York Dolls, and then Cal Tjader. Go figure..

Edited by Q88 on 11-23-17 12:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10368
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

12-04-17 12:04 PM - Post#1707465    

In response to Q88

RIP Malcolm. I can't say I was a huge AC/DC fan back in the day but regret not seeing them with Bon Scott as front man. But I dove deep into their Bon-based catalog about 6-8 years ago when the remasters started popping out. Loved all that I had missed out on previously.

I had an early Rolling Stone record guide that listed the (at the time) entire AC/DC discography as zero stars. I knew they must have been a good band for those RS dip$hit$ to miss the point.

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
12-13-17 11:41 AM - Post#1707744    

In response to Pete

Well, remember that the critics fucking hated Zeppelin and Aerosmith as well.

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
89 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 89 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "Roy Moore v Doug Jones" with 37 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.266 seconds.   Total Queries: 269   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-6.0). Current time is 12:24 AM