hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Mel Bridgman vs George McPhee        (Topic#549756)
the hammer
superstar
Total Posts: 3941
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-07-18 12:43 AM - Post#1708628    

I never knew they fought until I watched this for the first time on an old VHS tape. I have a few Bridgman DVD's but I don't think it's on any of them. Pretty even fight, both landed the same amount of punches with Mel falling on top of McPhee.

the hammer
superstar
Total Posts: 3941
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-08-18 11:35 PM - Post#1708719    

In response to the hammer

Wow, no comments on this fight? I'm surprised.

juha82
legend
Total Posts: 10401
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-09-18 04:12 AM - Post#1708720    

In response to the hammer

More draw

Randy Holt
captain
Total Posts: 617
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-19-18 07:50 PM - Post#1710715    

In response to juha82

No recollection of that one.

COCHRANE29
hall of famer
Total Posts: 5537
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-20-18 07:01 AM - Post#1710734    

In response to Randy Holt

C29

"Truth is Treason in the empire of lies" - Ron Paul

COCHRANE29
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-20-18 07:08 AM - Post#1710735    

In response to COCHRANE29

Just like the Tochett fight... Mel didn`t like the way the trading was going, perhaps felt he was getting embarrassed by the smaller McPhee... so he went for the identical Tochett take down by running him in to the boards.

Decision McPhee
C29

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29543
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-21-18 07:22 AM - Post#1710794    

Agreed - McPhee with the W
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

Fotiu
Total Posts: 17253
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-21-18 03:10 PM - Post#1710819    

In response to Johnny_Upton

Weird that this comes up, because I watched it the other day and hadn't recalled ever seeing it. Post-Philly Mel had lost all of his fighting mojo. Didn't he once avoid Roland Melanson in a bench brawl?
“I know words, I have the best words.”

daveh8
superstar
Total Posts: 4264
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-21-18 05:41 PM - Post#1710832    

In response to Fotiu

mel took a pretty bad beatdown from brad maxwell in 1979 at the spectrum and was never really the same after that...also got jumped and pretty much pussed out by ed hospodar later that same season.....the final straw was him playing peacemaker during the baxter/wilson linebrawl 8 or so games into the 81-82 season and a week later he was traded to the flames for brad marsh.

some guys take the beating and keep ticking, some don't. he didn't.....was still productive as a player for several years but was finished as a anywhere near a premier fighter.

just looked it up-first 7 seasons and playoffs? 80 fighting majors (and i'm sure you add at least 10, maybe more because of the way they called, or didn't call) fights during line/bench clearers in those days; last 6 seasons? 35 majors.

that speaks for itself.

Edited by daveh8 on 02-21-18 05:42 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-22-18 03:25 PM - Post#1710885    

In response to daveh8

I'm sure I'd play about a foot taller with the Flyer wolfpack ready to jump the bench. But I remember watching Mel as a kid in his Devil/Wing days and always expecting some action, based on what I had heard and read from his early days. Was always disappointed.

Never disappointed in McPhee though! Just wish his body could have held up to his wreckless playing style.

COCHRANE29
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-18 06:17 AM - Post#1710904    

In response to daveh8

• daveh8 Said:
mel took a pretty bad beatdown from brad maxwell in 1979 at the spectrum and was never really the same after that...also got jumped and pretty much pussed out by ed hospodar later that same season.....the final straw was him playing peacemaker during the baxter/wilson linebrawl 8 or so games into the 81-82 season and a week later he was traded to the flames for brad marsh.

some guys take the beating and keep ticking, some don't. he didn't.....was still productive as a player for several years but was finished as a anywhere near a premier fighter.

just looked it up-first 7 seasons and playoffs? 80 fighting majors (and i'm sure you add at least 10, maybe more because of the way they called, or didn't call) fights during line/bench clearers in those days; last 6 seasons? 35 majors.

that speaks for itself.

Really Interesting .. Bad Brad didn`t GO much but when he did , he was All In!
There always seems to be one incident/ fight in an enforcers career that acts as a turning point
in ones career where they lose their fire & never fight with the same tenacity as they did, instead they are looking for the Exit sign or the seat belt if forced into it.. might make for a good topic discussion... Nice info DaveH8!
C29

daveh8
superstar
Total Posts: 4264
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-23-18 02:12 PM - Post#1710940    

• COCHRANE29 Said:
  • daveh8 Said:

that speaks for itself.

Really Interesting .. Bad Brad didn`t GO much but when he did , he was All In!
There always seems to be one incident/ fight in an enforcers career that acts as a turning point
in ones career where they lose their fire & never fight with the same tenacity as they did, instead they are looking for the Exit sign or the seat belt if forced into it.. might make for a good topic discussion... Nice info DaveH8!

thanks. i was at the game, never seen a clip of it however. as stuff continues to slowly surface on youtube, maybe it will someday. and i agree 100% on maxwell; he and bert wilson are, IMO, the two most underrated fighters of all time......neither did it a ton but man when it was time you better be ready if one of those guys was standing across from you with his fists up.....wilson is probably the only player to come into the spectrum and beat both behn wilson and jack mcilargey....

COCHRANE29
hall of famer
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-24-18 09:02 AM - Post#1710963    

In response to daveh8

Interesting thing about Bert is that he was only 6`0 180Lbs & had extremely long arms... he was also able to throw with both hands, something that was more of the exception than the rule at that time in the 70`s.

I was surprised to see Tiger get the best of Bert & then was able to hang with Big Behn... I never had much respect or thought much of Tiger Williams but maybe I should have?
C29

Edited by COCHRANE29 on 02-24-18 09:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Fotiu
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
02-24-18 10:46 AM - Post#1710967    

Let's play this game then! Should be fun

Randy Holt
captain
Total Posts: 617
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-21-18 04:53 PM - Post#1711779    

In response to Fotiu

Bobby Taylor told me that Bridgman was never the same after Maxwell tuned him up. As for his post Flyer days, most players calmed down when they were away from the wolfpack.

Baldridge
legend
Total Posts: 12193
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
03-21-18 05:35 PM - Post#1711781    

• COCHRANE29 Said:
Interesting thing about Bert is that he was only 6`0 180Lbs & had extremely long arms...

Not as long as Vandy....
"I can't prove any of it"-NYRfan

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
104 Online Now
0 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 104 guests are online now.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.25 seconds.   Total Queries: 285   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 12:55 AM