hockey-fights.com
Username Post: Religious Conservatives        (Topic#549792)
foolish
superstar
Total Posts: 3732
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-18 01:31 PM - Post#1709007    

So pretty simple question thats has been rattling around in my head.

These adultery accusations against Trump. I don't much care if they are true or not, but if they were, that would constitute a mortal sin in the eyes of the Vatican. As a good christian (catholic) you would have to reconsider your position of support for DJT.

..... but the other side is pro-life, which is pro-murder to the church....and there is really nothing worse than that.

Is it safe to say that, short of advocating genocide, there is no way a christian could support the dems on moral grounds?

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 22078
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-18 02:02 PM - Post#1709015    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
So pretty simple question thats has been rattling around in my head.

These adultery accusations against Trump. I don't much care if they are true or not, but if they were, that would constitute a mortal sin in the eyes of the Vatican. As a good christian (catholic) you would have to reconsider your position of support for DJT.

..... but the other side is pro-life, which is pro-murder to the church....and there is really nothing worse than that.

Is it safe to say that, short of advocating genocide, there is no way a christian could support the dems on moral grounds?

I didn't vote for Trump, but I am not vehemently against his policies.

From a Catholic perspective there are five non-negotiables when it comes to voting. As you might imagine, abortion is one of them.

But even if a candidate is pro-choice, that doesn't automatically mean you cannot vote for him/her/xi/xem etc.

Typically that issue is raised when both candidates are pro-choice. In essence we are to discern whether, as a whole, a particular candidate is worthy of our vote.

I recall speaking with a priest when Obama ran the first time. I was very impressed with him, but felt I couldn't vote for him because of his stance on abortion, among other issues. I asked the priest if I could still vote for him. He told me the story about how Cyrus the Great did a lot of bad things in his life and was a pagan, but facilitated the building of the Temple in Jerusalem.

It was his way of helping me to discern that I could vote for Obama.

I discerned that it was BS and voted accordingly.

In Trump's case, I don't think that his alleged adultery would preclude a Catholic from voting or supporting him.

Bottom line, we are all sinners, from the Pope all the way down to me.

BTW, there are pro-life dems. I am probably closer to them in my make-up than I am many repubs.

“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37226
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-18 03:33 PM - Post#1709024    

In response to Kanrok

Foolish,

Are you asking if it’s a choice of “the lesser of two evils” for Catholics, too?

-PR

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-18 04:29 PM - Post#1709033    

In response to PuckRogue

I suppose I sort of am (once again - very succinct). I was really just thinking over the moral dilemma someone must have reconciling their own strict sexual ethics with a POTUS who clearly does not have any. But realizing that the parties are most clearly (IMO) defined by their opposing positions on abortion. Given that the GOP is strongly pro-life, I could see someone making the statement that they don't care what Trump is/was/will be guilty of, pro-life dirtbag "trumps" pro-choice anyone.

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 22078
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-18 05:04 PM - Post#1709036    

In response to foolish

Or murdering babies is a bad thing!
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-18 05:46 PM - Post#1709045    

In response to Kanrok

Exactly!

PuckRogue
Total Posts: 37226
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-15-18 09:19 PM - Post#1709067    

In response to foolish

So, yeah...”religious conservatives” have the same voting issues as everyone else.

-PR

Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
103 Online Now
4 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 99 guests are online now.
Ad
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.141 seconds.   Total Queries: 144   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 01:36 PM