hockey-fights.com
 Page 1 of 2 All12
Username Post: Well now I'm scared...        (Topic#549824)
foolish
superstar
Total Posts: 3748
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-18 09:02 AM - Post#1709369    

Anyone else here a LEGAL immigrant and permanent residen? Just emailed my immigration lawyer about citizenship. PR - please debunk (think this guy meets your previous criteria).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/n...

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29558
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-18 09:23 AM - Post#1709372    

In response to foolish

Not passing judgement, but there’s a little more to this story

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp...

Not sure if it will change your mind but, I think he knew something was coming down the pike in 16 and started down the citizenship path
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-18 09:38 AM - Post#1709373    

In response to Johnny_Upton

Honestly, I should have started on my citizenship when I became eligible (5 years ago). I put it off for the tax reasons (we contemplated an ex-pat assignment), and then never started again. I said I'd get it when I had kids.... well I got them too.... it time.

I doubt I'm in any real danger - my worst offenses are a few speeding tickets, and I'm from Canada - but I do find this disturbing.

If Trump gets ahold of my posts here I am totally fucked!

Edited by foolish on 01-23-18 09:40 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 22202
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-18 10:15 AM - Post#1709375    

In response to foolish

As a Polack, I am appalled.
“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

NYRfan
legend
Total Posts: 35631
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-18 10:51 AM - Post#1709376    

In response to Kanrok

Liberals are pitiful.

This idiot has been arrested / tried for 4 crimes, couldn't be bothered to do the proper paperwork / process for citizenship for the last 40 years, and liberals try to portray him as Rosa Parks.

It even reads like he jumped somebody with his teenage buddies after a car accident. And wrapped up his criminal career with a domestic violence trial.

Can you guys ever be honest about anything ?

Yes foolish, you should have started the process many decades ago, if you have your sights set on a violent crime or two, and a DUI.

And becuz Trump, of course.

The upside ..... one less lying, cheating, criminal democrat voter. Oh, make it two. The Hispanic Rosa Parks from last week seems to have had a similar shady background.

phantomenforcer
superstar
Total Posts: 3620
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-18 01:00 PM - Post#1709383    

In response to NYRfan

I was expecting a darker person being that immigration reform is based in racism.

taz
hall of famer
Total Posts: 9726
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-23-18 04:14 PM - Post#1709388    

In response to phantomenforcer

I went the green card and citizenship rout. It took a while but well worth it. I don't understand someone not getting citizenship in the country they have chosen to be their permanent home.
Large Screen Laptop...$600
Internet Service...$50
Reading Johnz's inane homer posts...Priceless

phantomenforcer
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 06:10 AM - Post#1709394    

In response to taz

Someone said they put it off for tax reasons. I assume that makes it more beneficial to not get citizenship which is something I think a lot of natural citizens are miffed about.

Pete
legend
Total Posts: 10819
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       

01-24-18 07:17 AM - Post#1709395    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
Honestly, I should have started on my citizenship when I became eligible (5 years ago). I put it off for the tax reasons (we contemplated an ex-pat assignment), and then never started again. I said I'd get it when I had kids.... well I got them too.... it time.

I doubt I'm in any real danger - my worst offenses are a few speeding tickets, and I'm from Canada - but I do find this disturbing.

If Trump gets ahold of my posts here I am totally fucked!

Don't worry. Trump respects the 4th Amendment. Obama not so much. You should be OK

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 11:51 AM - Post#1709411    

In response to phantomenforcer

• phantomenforcer Said:
Someone said they put it off for tax reasons. I assume that makes it more beneficial to not get citizenship which is something I think a lot of natural citizens are miffed about.

That was probably me... though I must clarify, it wasn't to be crooked, it was because we were considering taking an ex-pat assignment in Korea, and wether we returned to the USA or Canada after that was more driven by the health of my wife and I's parents - there was a realistic chance I would leave the USA for good. As you may or may not know, American citizens have a tax burden if living abroad, Canadians (and every other country I believe) do not. Now that we know we are staying here for at least the next decade or two, its a no-brainer. But that decision is only several months old.

On a not unrelated note, those who would be miffed at a legal resident not naturtalizing to avoid taxation are probably the same folks who defend the elite (like Trump) as geniuses for manipulating their own tax burdens to zero.....hmmm

Kanrok
legend
Total Posts: 22202
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 12:03 PM - Post#1709412    

In response to foolish

Sounds like good tax planning to me.

“The greatest thing we can do just unite and love on each other and like, no barriers, no borders, like, we all need to just co-exist.”

- K. Perry

NYRfan
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 12:36 PM - Post#1709413    

In response to Kanrok

American citizens using American laws properly, to make beneficial use of the American tax system.......

= Foreign non-citizens playing games with their allegiances, citizenships, locales, and legal situations ? To avoid contributing, while taking advantage several ways ?

ya, totally the same.

BTW, this is how foolish and friends play this game that we all so respect, and certainly aren't annoyed as hell with -

https://pjmedia.com/trending/six-words-le ft-twists...

Johnny_Upton
Total Posts: 29558
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 02:19 PM - Post#1709421    

In response to foolish

• foolish Said:
American citizens have a tax burden if living abroad, Canadians (and every other country I believe) do not. Now that we know we are staying here for at least the next decade or two, its a no-brainer. But that decision is only several months old.

Depends. If you are out of country for a prescribed period of time, the first (Not sure the number - think its $100k) is non taxable
Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

#Filthystrong

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 02:25 PM - Post#1709423    

In response to Johnny_Upton

• Johnny_Upton Said:
  • foolish Said:
American citizens have a tax burden if living abroad, Canadians (and every other country I believe) do not. Now that we know we are staying here for at least the next decade or two, its a no-brainer. But that decision is only several months old.

Depends. If you are out of country for a prescribed period of time, the first (Not sure the number - think its $100k) is non taxable

I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I know you are correct. At the time I was looking at it, Samsung Biologics were offering 3 year packages in the $400k USD range for engineers who would make in the $80s here. For Americans that was grossed up to cover tax burden... I was hearing that for non-American's they were getting slightly higher offers b/c no gross-up. This was all rumor....

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 02:27 PM - Post#1709424    

In response to NYRfan

• NYRfan Said:
American citizens using American laws properly, to make beneficial use of the American tax system.......

= Foreign non-citizens playing games with their allegiances, citizenships, locales, and legal situations ? To avoid contributing, while taking advantage several ways ?

ya, totally the same.

BTW, this is how foolish and friends play this game that we all so respect, and certainly aren't annoyed as hell with -

https://pjmedia.com/trending/six-words-le ft-twists...

Oh right, citizenship is the golden ticket to allow you to make smart fiscal decisions. Otherwise we're supposed to thank everyone we see who had the happy accident of native birth. You sure act entitled about your participation trophy.

NYRfan
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 05:44 PM - Post#1709428    

In response to foolish

I'm just generally against anyone sucking up the bene's and then refusing to do what should be done to earn / deserve them. And then basically mocking the idea that they should have to do anything at all.

It's kind of a simple theory.

I think we were all told about it around 3 to 5 years old, typically by Granny.

Your little citizenship rant reminds me of the guys who laugh at people who get up and go to work every day for 50 years.

"hawhawhaw your stewpid. Your a wage slave. Licking the man's boots. Not me.... I'll never work !!"

And course if you own more than them, you end being "the man" who should give it all back to the guys who are too smart to work.

yeah, that's your tapestry for how to live life.

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 06:46 PM - Post#1709429    

In response to NYRfan

• NYRfan Said:
I'm just generally against anyone sucking up the bene's and then refusing to do what should be done to earn / deserve them. And then basically mocking the idea that they should have to do anything at all.

Not even close. I've done everything to earn the benes, and never collected on any of them.... the rest of your rant is really perplexing...... I'm not mocking anyone. You seem to have a really advanced victim complex....its flakey....snowflakey even. Be offended.

NYRfan
legend
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 07:02 PM - Post#1709431    

In response to foolish

I'm as far from a victim as you'll ever meet. I do and have done what you'd like to do, and I have what you'd like to have. Rather, I just don't like shifty, skeevy people and behaviors.

You clearly stated that you put off pursuing US citizenship to avoid US taxes, while enjoying whatever you can get from living in the US. That's what I described, pretty clearly. And then you mocked the idea that US citizens deserve anything for being citizens. We've heard that one before many times, many ways. Lindsey Graham told us that America doesn't belong to Americans; pretty close to your stance.

And I don't even dislike you. But you do (apparently accidentally) admit to a lot of shady behaviors and beliefs. Which are easy to dislike.

foolish
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-24-18 07:37 PM - Post#1709436    

In response to NYRfan

Read it again dumb dumb. I wasn't avoiding any taxes, I just didn't want to sign up for a lifetime of taxation if I permanently left the country. You're trying to manufacture some sort of affront so that you can wag your finger at me and tut-tut away whilst bemoaning the state of liberal America.... and probably sneak an alinaky reference in there too!

Edited by foolish on 01-24-18 07:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

phantomenforcer
superstar
Average Post Ranks%:             
User Rank%:                       
01-25-18 05:51 AM - Post#1709445    

In response to foolish

You said you put it off 5 years ago in case you took a job that would have you leave the country for good. Fair enough.

It appears that you didn't take that job, but would start your citizenship when you had kids and no you have them. Assuming you have at least two kids that is roughly at least two years in which you didn't get the ball rolling. Probably longer, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

You say you didn't get any entitlements. I have nothing to go on that suggests otherwise, but I feel that perhaps your tax burden isn't the same as the citizens living in the same neighborhood as you.

Is there some other reason other than tax purposes that you didn't start the process when you should have?

I honestly don't even blame you if that is the only reason. I hate politicians and they take advantage of the citizens on a daily basis. I'm more liberal minded than most on this board. Just don't be scared when the free ride might be over when it could have been avoided by doing the right thing.

Perhaps this type of thing sticks in my crawl a bit due to my job as a paramedic. I frequently pick up illegal aliens and know full well that they will never pay for the services they receive from my agency or the hospital. Then I look at my net vs. gross on my paycheck.

Page 1 of 2 All12
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

Follow
107 Online Now
1 viewable users and 0 hidden plus 106 guests are online now.
Hot Topic
Most recent hot topic is "4 barrack o' froggy clyde " with 16 replies.
Ad
Recent Topics
FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2018 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.313 seconds.   Total Queries: 343   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-5). Current time is 01:03 PM